Higher forum security

Moderator: Moderator

Zanniej
Barn manager

Higher forum security

Unread post by Zanniej »

Unfortunately, I've been forced to set up higher security for our forums. The upside is that performance should probably improve. The downside is that you might get a "challenge" every now and then.

The reason for this, is that our forum has been under attack for the past couple of days. Some of you might have noticed this, as this has caused timeouts and other errors.

I hope the issues have been resolved for now, and the forum will start acting normally again.

Should you experience any hinder, then please let me know, and I'll look into it.
If you have any questions or remarks, then feel free to let me know, or respond to this topic!
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Keeping a close eye on the Server Finances.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Re: Higher forum security

Unread post by Steve »

So you’re playing good guy toons AND you gotta be a good guy in RL as well. Arrgghh...so frustrating!

About just as frustrating that you disabled emojies in this thread!! *evil angel fist air pump finger*

j/k

Thanks for keeping everyones Forum addiction smooth and delay free Zanbot!
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

Steve wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:47 pm So you’re playing good guy toons AND you gotta be a good guy in RL as well. Arrgghh...so frustrating!

About just as frustrating that you disabled emojies in this thread!! *evil angel fist air pump finger*

j/k

Thanks for keeping everyones Forum addiction smooth and delay free Zanbot!
You can't have it all ;-)
I hope I'm not a bot, otherwise I'd be blocked too! :-P
LazyTrain wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:53 pm "What am I gonna do with my day today? Make the forums for a 10 year old server on an even older game laggy. Yes. Excellent."
To each their hobby, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

Still getting occasional issues, but they feel less than before, and shorter.
Saharez

Unread post by Saharez »

You guys have probably tried a ton of things, but if you haven't yet, CFS -> https://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html is a powerful tool that allows for all sorts of nice things, such as temporarily (or pemanently) blocking ips that attempt to login too many times within a short timeframe

I can't see if you are running Linux or something else since the forum is hiding beind a cloudflare CDN.
If it is Linux, CFS is worth looking into it.
It works best in conjunction with iptables.

I know I would be lost without it :)

Both CFS and iptables are opensource.
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

Saharez wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:46 am You guys have probably tried a ton of things, but if you haven't yet, CFS -> https://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html is a powerful tool that allows for all sorts of nice things, such as temporarily (or pemanently) blocking ips that attempt to login too many times within a short timeframe

I can't see if you are running Linux or something else since the forum is hiding beind a cloudflare CDN.
If it is Linux, CFS is worth looking into it.
It works best in conjunction with iptables.

I know I would be lost without it :)

Both CFS and iptables are opensource.
Thanks for the suggestion. Right now we're on budget hosting however, so we do not have direct access to the server.
That might change in the future, as we've had our share of issues with the hosting provider :roll:

When that happens, I might look into this more. Thanks!
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Miasmata
Retired Admin

Unread post by Miasmata »

Please note that while the forum seems to have stabilized since this thread was posted, you still may receive a "challenge" from time to time.

If you have further questions about forum security or stability, please reach out to the Global Admin group in a PM.

Since there are not current troubles, as was happening on March 26, 2020, this thread will be archived. A new one will be posted if the community needs to be made aware of any changes or challenges.

Return to “Archive”