Forum security, HTTPS

It Does What It Says on the Tin: Resolved Issues

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Zanniej
Barn manager

Forum security, HTTPS

Unread post by Zanniej »

The forum should now be running a security certificate throughout. Please check if it works properly everywhere (the green lock in front of the URL, forced to HTTPS, instead of HTTP). If it doesn't, please report it here with the URL where it's not working.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: I noticed a small hickup. Should be solved now.
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Keeping a close eye on the Server Finances.
Ambaryerno

Re: Forum security, HTTPS

Unread post by Ambaryerno »

It's running the certificate but it appears to be invalid.
Julia "la Belle" - Duelist, singer, and shameless flirt. Currently deciding whether she wants to fight you or @$%& you.
Julia's Songbook

Lucia Kayla - If her parents find out she left the Island she'll likely be grounded until she's 500.
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

That's odd. What browser(version) are you using? And can you perhaps show a screenshot or anything?

Thanks for reporting it though!
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

It should be fixed now.
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Ambaryerno

Unread post by Ambaryerno »

Yep, all good.
Julia "la Belle" - Duelist, singer, and shameless flirt. Currently deciding whether she wants to fight you or @$%& you.
Julia's Songbook

Lucia Kayla - If her parents find out she left the Island she'll likely be grounded until she's 500.
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

Perfect CA to use. 8-)
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

What's this! Zanniej! I can't steal people's data anymore! :evil:
Moltrazahn

Unread post by Moltrazahn »

What benefits are there now with this security? Like... what's the difference between now and then for the ignorant sob like myself?
Za'than Za'amal(Elsewhere!)
Thumbler Trunk-son(Also Elsewhere!)
Inanis Umbra(Active)
Molag'ur(He stink!)

Myhun Kren: "You should change Za'thans mask to green, and run around yelling "Somebody STOP ME!"

"You are a spastic pony" - HDM Arrakeen
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

Maecius wrote:What's this! Zanniej! I can't steal people's data anymore! :evil:
That's no problem, you already got everything you need, don't you? ;-)
Moltrazahn wrote:What benefits are there now with this security? Like... what's the difference between now and then for the ignorant sob like myself?
The benefits for us are not that big, since we don't have any really sensitive data (like credit card data for example). But I'll try to give you a short list of what this'll do, best I can (anyone with more knowledge of SSL certificates, feel free to add/correct anything I missed, I'm no expert concerning SSL)
  • Your connection is secured. In short that means that nobody can intercept what you're trying to send to the site, nor what you receive from the site.
  • Google likes us more! Google likes secure sites
I can't think of much more right now, though the security is the biggest plus. In the future it might also give us a faster site.
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

MitM is a huge issue these days, but most importantly the password supplied is no longer in plaintext at logon / auth.
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Every time I log into the new https site from my mobile device I get a warning that the site's address does not match the security certificate.
RamenKing
Recognized Donor

Unread post by RamenKing »

Tsidkenu wrote:Every time I log into the new https site from my mobile device I get a warning that the site's address does not match the security certificate.
I get the same issue when trying to log in from my work computer. Havent been able to access the forums from work for quite some time. Which sucks because then i have to do...work :?
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

Sorry Guys. I'll look into it as soon as I'm able. If someone could make a screenshot or anything of why you can't access it, then please do.
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

I only get it on my mobile device; my computer's browser has no issues. Bit hard to screenshot a mobile when you only have one :P
RamenKing
Recognized Donor

Unread post by RamenKing »

Thanks Zanniej! Unable to do a screen shot at the moment but the exact verbiage I receive is:

"There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server."

Return to “Solved Problems”