BBCode Tables

It Does What It Says on the Tin: Resolved Issues

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Quality Control, DM

wangxiuming

BBCode Tables

Unread post by wangxiuming »

Hello!

I noticed within the last few days that something funky is happening with tables when using the "BG TSCC" Board Style. Viewed on my PC monitor, the tables in general seem to be limited to 50% of the regular forum width, and images within are being rescaled automatically to fit as seen below:
Hidden: show
The "Baldur's Gate Alpha Preview" Board Style seems to not have been affected. The below screenie was taken with that board style and appears as I originally intended.
Hidden: show
I just wanted to confirm if the change to the BG TSCC style was intended. Since it's the default board style, I will probably revise my post to remove tables from it if so. Would much appreciate any advice. Thanks!
TarnishedSoul
Retired Staff

Re: BBCode Tables

Unread post by TarnishedSoul »

I don't know the answer. I just want to express my extreme envy / awe at the way you and Nyssis have done your character relationships sections! :D And it makes me want to get off my lazy busy duff and update my own poor, neglected biography.
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

Yesterday, or the day before, Zanniej implemented a feature on the forums where they'll automatically resize oversized images (so that they no longer break the forum formatting).

As you evidence in your post, you can still put full-size images in spoilers.

Just checking your bio now, it looks good to me? So maybe you were able to fix this? Or maybe it depends on the resolution you're looking at it from?

Edit: Actually, maybe he undid that fix. It doesn't look like it still resizes images at the moment. I'll let him speak to that. Hm!
wangxiuming

Thanks for the quick response Maecius (and the kind words TS! :) )

My bio page still looks funktastic though to me though ... not sure if it's maybe something I'm doing on my end. I haven't done anything besides clearing my cache though and the images that used to appear correctly now appear super teeny.

For reference, the images I included should be about this size:

But to me, using the BGTSCC board style, they appear smaller than this emoji when I put the image in a bbcode table: :(
[table]
[td2]Image
Omerion Vale
The second of the Vale children, notorious for his intransigence and the deep resentment he harbored for his older sister Orelia. Often a bully to Osric and his sister Octavia in their youth, Omerion only grew embittered as he watched them enjoy Orelia's affection. His decision to contest Orelia's succession only exacerbated Osric's low opinion of the man.[/td2]
[td2]Image[/td2][/table]
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

Hm. They're showing fine for me. They look the same in both your images linked just above here.

Maybe Zanniej has some thoughts as to why they might display differently for you?
K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra »

Looks normal to me as well, sometimes the view changes depending on if one uses a mobile device or a pc.
K'yon Oblodra
Necromancer of the school of Necromancy
Silent seat for the school of Necromancy
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

They display differently for me, as well.

The headshot in the column/table is super teeny-tiny.

You aren't crazy (or completely so), wangxiuming. :lol:
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
Moridin
Custom Content

Unread post by Moridin »

They display differently as well for me with the image in the table being nearly a pinprick on my screen.
Characters:
Lomith Dy'nesen Journal
wangxiuming

I'm glad I'm not (entirely, as Planehopper says) crazy :D

:?
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Does web browser have anything to do with it?
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

I tried in Firefox, Chrome, and 'Edge' or whatever IE is calling itself these days. They all showed the very-small picture in the table for me.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

Browser has nothing to do with it. You've just found a way to break my changes :-D

It should be fixed now, so if you would be so kind to refresh it?

For those of you interested in the why:
I've changed all images to get a maximum width of 100% of it's containing element. That means that the image can't get wider than the post area.
However, in this current case, you've placed the image in a table. A table, by default, will become as wide as it's content (do you see the issue forming here?). So, what'll happen when I say that the image may not be bigger than 100% of it's containing element, and the containing element will become as big as the content (in this case the image)? Exactly, the image will become as small as it can be, as the containing element becomes as big as the as small as possible image .... Still there? Isn't that what we call a paradox? :-)
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Keeping a close eye on the Server Finances.
Nyssis

Unread post by Nyssis »

Are you looking for clergy? Because I'm in the market for a new deity.

Thank you so much.
Once-strong and proud strangeling, now broken upon realization's back!
-----------------------------------[Biography] [History] [Imagination]
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

Nyssis wrote:Are you looking for clergy? Because I'm in the market for a new deity.

Thank you so much.
Oh nice!
*Starts gathering his portfolios*
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Keeping a close eye on the Server Finances.
Mork

Unread post by Mork »

Tables set to have 50% width:

http://i.imgur.com/4v5lhOM.png

So something still not right.
By the way if you want to limit image width simply set it in css with max-width.
Last edited by Mork on Thu May 25, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Solved Problems”