Logging in/out being very slow

It Does What It Says on the Tin: Resolved Issues

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Quality Control, DM

Glowfire

Logging in/out being very slow

Unread post by Glowfire »

Logging out takes a few minutes. Logging in isn't swift either.

Once logged in, everything's smooth.

But the logging in/out response times weren't always this slow. Just in the last few months.

What happened? Can they be made normal-ish again?
Power is the most persuasive rhetoric.
Friedrich von Schiller
Zanniej
Barn manager

Re: Logging in/out being very slow

Unread post by Zanniej »

Quite frankly, I don't know why this is happening.
I'm looking into it though.
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Keeping a close eye on the Server Finances.
Nyeleni
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Nyeleni »

It happens during the Checking-for-out-of-date-content. If that helps. It is a bit slower, not much but noticeable.
Truman Capote, Breakfast At Tiffany's
"... - it's better to look at the sky than live there. Such an empty place; so vague. Just a country where the thunder goes and things disappear."
Miyuki

Unread post by Miyuki »

Logging in game is not the prblem.

Logging into the forums is a pain in the rear for some. It takes way too long. It starts with error messages and ends with a forum-crash. ^^
Self-confessed tkl tool denier!

Freya Evans, Lucky Maiden and Bardess on the path of Tymora [Bio] [Journal] - "Luck isn’t only random. The best Luck is what we make for ourselves."
Nyeleni
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Nyeleni »

Oops my bad, totaly misunderstood.

I didn't have any difficulties in that regard. Other than with the mobile phone sometimes.
Truman Capote, Breakfast At Tiffany's
"... - it's better to look at the sky than live there. Such an empty place; so vague. Just a country where the thunder goes and things disappear."
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

Seraphine wrote:Logging in game is not the prblem.

Logging into the forums is a pain in the rear for some. It takes way too long. It starts with error messages and ends with a forum-crash. ^^
Mind telling me what those error messages are, and what message you receive on the forum-crash?

I'm trying to fix this issue, but am not quite sure where to start, as I've got bad loading times, but don't have any feedback as to why it is so slow... :(
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
flipside43

Unread post by flipside43 »

It says there is a 500 error reporting the error and only says its an internal error or misconfiguration. At least for me when I log out.
Luke Darius - Clansman of House Darius, Noble of Baldur's Gate
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

Thanks Flipside! Unfortunately a 5xx error is the most useless of them all, but thank you for taking the effort to look it up and post it!

I've found somewhere that it might be an issue with the IP-blacklist we have.. So I might be looking for a way to trim that down a bit. I sounds somewhat logical, as it would be checking your IP everytime you log in, to define whether you're allowed or not. Who knows!
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

So, I've been trying out some possible solutions, according to Lautreamont's testing, logging in should be a lot faster now (thank you very much for your help!).

It seems there are some other issues that are in line with this issue, so if you still have loading issues, then please let me know what you were doing when it happened, and what exactly happened (did you get an error, or did loading just take ages, stuff like that).
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
MrSmith
Recognized Donor

Unread post by MrSmith »

After down-loading the update yesterday afternoon... it takes several minutes for me to get past the Checking-for-out-of-date-content process when I log into the server. Is anyone else having this problem since the update? If not (no causation), then can someone tech-savvy recommend a remedy?

Thank you!
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

MrSmith wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:44 am After down-loading the update yesterday afternoon... it takes several minutes for me to get past the Checking-for-out-of-date-content process when I log into the server. Is anyone else having this problem since the update? If not (no causation), then can someone tech-savvy recommend a remedy?

Thank you!
Same happens to me quite often. Usually it did only happen after a crash, but now it's worse.
Velaris
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Velaris »

No, since the update the log in time for the game is really slow for me as well.
Some people say if you can't do something right, don't do it at all...I say maybe you just need more practice...?

Riven, the wanderer
yyj

Unread post by yyj »

Can confirm it takes ages to log in to server now.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

Likewise. Something seems to have bugged out.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Pan-some
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Pan-some »