Change Gnome Skeletons Back!

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Do you think new gnome models look better than old?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:01 pm

Yes
7%
No
59%
I don't care
34%

Total votes: 29

Maecius
Retired Admin

Re: Change Gnome Skeletons Back!

Unread post by Maecius »

whatsittoya wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:14 pm
The Whistler wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:56 pm I believe the community should be consulted with polls when it comes to cosmetic updates. I know I was really unhappy with the elf skeleton change and had to get mine bumped down a size or two in order for him to not look like a toothpick in a chain shirt.
I've tried to raise this concern before, but it usually results in 'whoa don't you trust the devs?'
I wouldn't say it's about trust, per se.

It's probably more often a case of impatience. Polls take time -- and often someone has an idea and is ready to work on it right away. We can certainly try to gather more player opinion as a general rule (that's partly what the "Coming Soon" forum was made for, after all) -- and that's something I'll almost always encourage. But it's not always easy for the devs to remember to do so when they're excited about something they're working on. Though it's also not always a case of forgetting: The obvious downside of opening a poll on something you want to develop or do is someone telling you "no" and now the wind's gone out of your sails. It requires some discipline (and an actual willingness to not work on, or even stop work on, the project if the poll says no) for someone to put their project out there before it's ready. Moreover, our community (even our staff) is generally prone to kneejerk reactions against proposed changes (human nature), and is not always prone to pulling punches when offering critique (uh ... Internet nature?).

Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission, as it were.

It's also true, though, that some decisions are going to be made without consultation, one way or another. And it's not always going to be a case of wanting to work on it right away/forgetting to take, or being reluctant about taking, the public pulse. Sometimes it really is just a case of "designer's call." Which, I guess, is one of the perks of volunteering hundreds of free hours to the server: You absolutely do get more of a hand in the design and the direction of the server than others do.
cosmic ray

Unread post by cosmic ray »

It's true that gnomes now look too much like halflings, with disproportionately small heads to boot, but vanilla gnomes looked like the picture below, which is even worse. While not good, the current avatars are certainly a first step in the right direction. They just need some more work done, I think.

You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

We can probably play with the heads a bit, yeah. Though if we make them too big there will be graphics glitches when they try to have hair or wear hats.
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

Is there anychance that this will be done for deep gnomes as well? I'd really like access to more customization....
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
Boletus

Unread post by Boletus »

>Is there anychance that this will be done for deep gnomes as well? I'd really like access to more customization....

Hear hear!
Characters: Hornfels the Gnome Galadin | Hanna | Styrbjörn Bamsefar
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

cosmic ray wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:22 am It's true that gnomes now look too much like halflings...
Forget halflings, my 8 STR gnome now looks like a barrel chested dwarf...

:?

Was something else changed with gnome proportions? More importantly, who do I have to bribe to edit Hulk Gnogan here for me? :lol: :doh:
There are no level 30's, only level 20's with benefits...
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

try
rock gnomes can now switch between vanilla gnome skeleton and human skeleton in the nexus, with the command >bodyswitch
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

Theodore01 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:43 pm try
rock gnomes can now switch between vanilla gnome skeleton and human skeleton in the nexus, with the command >bodyswitch
Wha-...

Yissss! Best command ever, whoever made that deserves a raise.
There are no level 30's, only level 20's with benefits...

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”