New Spell: Infernal Contract

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Quality Control, DM

Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

New Spell: Infernal Contract

Unread post by Flatted Fifth »

A spell designed specifically to allow a player to take an amount of XP from another WILLING player that does not have the caster's IP Address. Used for RP to facilitate exchanges between players where the currency is a portion of the buyer's soul rather than gold without requiring a dm present. Every time the spell is cast, details will be logged to the server for admin examination if necessary, those details being the caster, the target, the amount of XP taken from the target, and if possible any item exchanges that take place within 5 minutes of the spell between either party.

OP, oft-edited
Hidden: show
HOW IT WORKS:

Spell is 8th level Wizard/Sorc, Cleric/Favoured Soul (evil deities only), 4th (Dark Invocation) Warlock (evil patrons only)
Duration: Special, the spell cannot be cast more than once per rest period no matter how many times you memorize it.
Target: Single target player character

When the caster casts the spell, the script determines the amount of xp the target has and sets the maximum xp allowed to be taken to the amount that would drop them to the next lowest level (or 10,000 xp, whichever is lower). If the target is lower than lvl 3 the spell fails. Otherwise, the caster is given a prompt to enter the amount of xp to be taken and told what the maximum amount is. The caster may cancel at this time if they wish or enter an amount of xp greater than 1 and less than or equal to the maximum amount.

Then, if it was not canceled, a devil appears that is a completely non-combat faction member (cannot be used to start beating up mobs). To complete the spell, the target player must initiate dialog with the devil. The devil will ask if the pc agrees to the XP loss, stating exactly how much that is. If the target is under the influence of any mind-affecting spells, the spell fails and the devil vanishes informing the caster that souls can only be purchased when the donor is giving it up of their own free will.

Assuming the target PC is not under a charm spell or similar, they must then either agree to the devil's proposal or cancel. Escaping dialog to think about it will not cancel, the target may re-initiate dialog. If the target says "No", the devil disappears in a puff of smoke, perhaps with parting words of annoyance at the caster for wasting its time. If the target agrees, they lose the stated amount of XP and the caster gains 1/3 (rounded down) the amount taken from the target. The rest presumable goes to the devil. and gain a Soul Shard token (see below). Then the spell ends and the devil vanishes.

The Soul Shard token is an inventory item with a store value of 0 (and flagged as not pick-pocketable) that has a unique ability 1 use and named after the person who donated XP. Example, if the character is named Johann Dough then the item is named "Soul Shard: Johann Dough". If the shard is used by the person who donated xp, in this case Johann Dough, they get all their donated xp back (not to exceed server limit of course). If used by anyone else, the user gans 1/2 of the xp taken from the donor (the rest presumably goes to the devil).

If either the caster or the target leaves the area before the spell is complete, the devil vanishes and the spell is canceled.
New Proposal, more concisely written:

Spell is 8th level Wizard/Sorc, Cleric/Favoured Soul (evil deities only), 4th (Dark Invocation) Warlock (evil patrons only)
The spell cannot be cast more than once per rest period no matter how many times you memorize it.
Duration: Special, summoned devil remains until dialog with it is completed or until the caster leaves the area
Target: None, it's a non-combat summon.

When the spell is cast, a devil appears who is a completely neutral faction, ie, non-hostile to everything. You cannot use it to beat up mobs. This devil takes one of your summon slots. Whoever will be giving up XP talks to the devil.

If character talking to devil is under any kind of mind affecting spell such as Charm, etc: {
D: "I can only deal with those who are acting of their own free will." End dialog
} else if character under level 5 {
D: "Sorry, come back when you've experienced a bit more of the world, you're barely a morsel." End dialog.
} else {
D: "Greetings! *smiles wolfishly* You wish to give up a portion of your soul?"
options:
if "No" {
"I will be here if you change your mind" End dialog.
} else if "Yes" {
"Good! *rubs his hands together in anticipation* I will extract a portion of your soul into a crystal shard. Break it to gain back that portion of your soul, minus a 20% fee for my trouble. Or give it to someone else to break and they will gain that energy. Minus, of course, my 20% fee. How much of your soul do you wish to part with? [Speak how many experience points you wish to lose. Maximum is
${enough xp to drop them to the beginning of their next lower level, or 10,000, whichever number is lower}, minimum is 1000}
(Player speaks amount)
if player speaks non-integer {
"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that." Repeats above
} else, if valid number within stated range {
Player loses stated amount of XP, gains an inventory item "Soul Shard". Description: A soul shard worth ${amount of lost XP * 0.8}. Unique ability self only single use: using it grants 80% of lost XP to whomever uses it.
D: "*eyes glow more brightly red and a satisfied smile appears on his lips* Pleasure doing business with you, mortal.

Summoned devil disappears after above transaction.

Now the player who lost xp has an item that grants 80% of the lost xp, just once, to whomever uses it. It is destroyed when used. They may use it themselves if they've changed their mind or they may trade it to someone else via normal barter window. XP gained by use should not be affected by ECL or by multiclass penalty. It should also be un-stealable and unsellable (including via Mudd). In-person barter window should be only method of transaction.

Optional:
Casting of the spell requires DM or admin permission each time it is cast to prevent some 0 ECL character with 528k xp running an XP business. It should be possible for a flag on the character to be set on or off, like the flag that allows restricted PrCs. Flag is off by default. Casting spell requires it to be on and the spell turns it back off again after cast. That way abuse can be prevented without dealing with scheduling conflicts between DMs and players.
Last edited by Flatted Fifth on Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Aspect of Sorrow

Re: New Spell: Infernal Contract

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

This most certainly would need a DM involved.
DaloLorn

Unread post by DaloLorn »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:40 am This most certainly would need a DM involved.
... So I'm not the only one who thought that?

Phew, I can comment now. :lol:
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Notable characters:
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Pixanie
  • Vilmar Dall
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Nelee Aseph
  • Virin Swifteye
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

I don't think it would be necessarily need a DM involved IF there is sufficient logging. Besides, this game is old and the vast majority of the players are adults. Think we ought to be treated like it. But whatever. DM or no DM it would be neat.
Louvaine

Unread post by Louvaine »

I mean, sounds fun, but that can be already done with some creativity. I can think of Greater Planar Binding or Gate to summon the fiend, the Fog Cloud to do the smoke if you're really into it, and the Experience Remover in Nexus. I can't think of a single PC on the server I would like to have that kind of power, but I can think of how much XP selling we'd see on the server.

For the record, my guess would be 1:2 XP to gold ratio for a sale on such system.
Corneille de Locke, Devil of the Crossroad
Vanessa, Tender Curse
Conrad Ekhart, Merchant Prince
Telsar Trevelyan, Captain of the Night Serpent
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

Louvaine wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:45 pm I mean, sounds fun, but that can be already done with some creativity. I can think of Greater Planar Binding or Gate to summon the fiend, the Fog Cloud to do the smoke if you're really into it, and the Experience Remover in Nexus. I can't think of a single PC on the server I would like to have that kind of power, but I can think of how much XP selling we'd see on the server.

For the record, my guess would be 1:2 XP to gold ratio for a sale on such system.
Well, as to any PC having that power, you have to remember that the target, or "donor" has to agree to it in order for it to work. They not only have to agree to it, but they have to initiate a convo with a devil npc, agree to the dialog (probably with an "are you sure?" 2nd chance in the dialog, an NOT have any mind-affecting spells on the character.

I would never suggest a spell that can take XP from an unwilling pc. And I think not having to cast multiple spells to do this and go to the nexus afterwards would be fun. Make the spell require DM oversight if you want, but I personally think most people here are adults and don't need to be baby-sat.

ALTERNATELY......

Check this:

When the "donor" PC agrees to it, they get an item synced to them and only them that has stored the lost xp, if they activate it themselves the get the xp back. If someone else activates it, that person gets 1/2 that xp and the rest is lost (it goes to the devil). THAT way the "donor" can give this item over to the caster, or seller, in a normal barter window and thereby make sure they get whatever item they bargained for.
Last edited by Flatted Fifth on Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

OP updated
Louvaine

What stops me from creating a new toon designed to grind to level 20-21 on wyverns (which are ridiculous for XP!) and constantly be selling the XP to caster classes who level slower? Better yet, what stops me from using this as 20% RCR tool me and my buddy will conduct?

You can put more and more limitations, but the very idea of it, not matter how cool, is way too easy to exploit. Hence, there can be no gain for the caster. And then, you might as well just use Experience Remover on your next visit to Nexus.
Vanessa, Tender Curse
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

Louvaine wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:03 pm What stops me from creating a new toon designed to grind to level 20-21 on wyverns (which are ridiculous for XP!) and constantly be selling the XP to caster classes who level slower? Better yet, what stops me from using this as 20% RCR tool me and my buddy will conduct?

You can put more and more limitations, but the very idea of it, not matter how cool, is way too easy to exploit. Hence, there can be no gain for the caster. And then, you might as well just use Experience Remover on your next visit to Nexus.

You didn't finish reading, obviously. I had thought of that and included the idea that the caster would have to apply to be allowed to cast the spell.
Me wrote: Optional:
Casting of the spell requires DM or admin permission each time it is cast to prevent some 0 ECL character with 528k xp running an XP business. It should be possible for a flag on the character to be set on or off, like the flag that allows restricted PrCs. Flag is off by default. Casting spell requires it to be on and the spell turns it back off again after cast. That way abuse can be prevented without dealing with scheduling conflicts between DMs and players.
And last I checked the XP remover didn't give the taken xp to anyone else, so how exactly would one character sell something to another for xp?
Louvaine

You're right, I totally missed that part.

You can't sell XP removed by Experience Remover, making it the easiest option to remove XP. No IC Devil to show up and have dialogue with, though.
Vanessa, Tender Curse

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”