New PrC Bladehowler

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Daimondheart

New PrC Bladehowler

Unread post by Daimondheart »

Bladehowler

Bladehowlers are elves that were at one time either Bladesingers or a pupil of one. Their reasons for diverging from the original style can vary greatly and many elves consider this new style to be trash, a pale imitation of the true bladesong. Bladehowlers are yet dedicated to the protection of the people and the elven way and often have a greater faith in the Seldarine, often quoting the dogma of Corellon Larethian in response to the criticism levied against them by their own people. They also blended art, swordplay, and arcane magic, though most of the people would be hesitant to call it a harmony. In battle, a bladehowler’s lithe movements allow them to spring ahead, striking hard to end battles swiftly. There is a beauty in their dance, but it is hard to accept especially when the humming of their blades sounds less like a song and more like a mournful howl.

Some of the more zealous among the people consider the bladehowl a heresy, and so Bladehowlers are often treated as outcasts yet are acknowledged for their grim determination. Ironically, this also results in nearly all bladehowlers working alone, sufficient unto themselves. No positions of honor are granted to bladehowlers in any elven communities at this time. Naturally, there are no schools for bladehowlers nor will there ever be as the style is also only taught between master and apprentice.

Due to its greater focus on offense over defense, any arcanist that multiclasses as a fighter can easily become a bladehowler. This makes the class especially viable for sorcerers as well as martially focused wizards.

Requirements
Race: Elf or Half-elf

Alignment: Any Good

Base Attack Bonus: +5

Feats: Dodge, Power Attack, Combat Casting, Weapon Focus (Longsword or Greatsword)

Deity: Any god of the Seldarine.

Spellcasting: Able to cast arcane spells of 1st level.

Skills: Acrobatics 2, Concentration 4, Perform 4.

Cannot be: Bladesinger

Class Features
Hit die: 8
Proficiencies: light
Skill points: 2 + Int modifier
Class skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Concentration, Lore: Arcana, Lore: History, Lore: Local, Lore: Nobility and Royalty, Perform, Spellcraft.
Base attack bonus progression: High
Saving throws
high: Fortitude, Will
low: Reflex

Special: a Bladeshowler straying from the required alignment or deity automatically loses his abilities, those are automatically restored if the Bladehowler meets the requirements again.

Class Abilities
Level Features Gained
1 +1 arcane spellcasting level, Bladehowl Style, Spellcasting progression
2 Skill focus Lore: Local
3 +1 arcane spellcasting level
4 Bonus Feat
5 +1 arcane spellcasting level
6 Song of Celerity
7 +1 arcane spellcasting level
8 Thundering aegis 2/day
9 +1 arcane spellcasting level
10 +1 arcane spellcasting level, Greater Spellsong
Spellcasting progression
6/10 Progression.

At every odd level and 10th level you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known) as if you had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a Bladehowler, you must decide which class gains the increased casting ability.

Bladehowl Style
When wielding a longsword or greatsword and having nothing in the off-hand, a bladehowler gains a bonus to Damage Rolls equal to half his class level, up to a maximum of his Intelligence or Charisma bonus, whichever is highest. If the bladehowler wears medium or heavy armor, he loses all benefits of the bladehowl style. Greatswords come with an extra caveat in that they must be elven blades forged from mithral or the bladehowler must possess the monkey grip feat.

Skill focus Lore: Local
A bladehowler is still immersed in the traditions and the ways of his people as part of his training. The new style would not exist without drawing inspiration from the past.

Bonus Feat
At 4th level, the bladeshowler gets a bonus feat. These feats must be drawn from the following list: any metamagic feat, any reserve feat, Practiced Spellcaster, Blind Fight, Cleave, Deadly Offense, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (Weapon), Improved Knockdown, One Weapon, Mobility, Spring Attack.

Song of Celerity
A bladehowler can imbue his sword with any hostile spell he memorized, only one spell at a time can be imbued within the weapon. It is cast at the target on a successful melee attack.

Thundering aegis
A bladehowler of 8th level is taught the spell Thundering aegis. The spell was created within the last few centuries to augment the bladehowler's attack. A howling field of crackling energy envelopes the casters body and blade. While active, every successful attack made by the caster deals an extra 1d6 of electrical damage. Lightning also arcs 5 feet in all directions from his body, illuminating the area and dealing 1d6 points of electric damage to adjacent enemies every round.

Specifics:
  • DC is 10 + Bladehowler levels + spellcasting ability modifier.
  • Duration : 1 round per bladehowler level.
Greater Spellsong
A bladehowler of 10th level ignores arcane spell failure penalties incurred by wearing light armors.

New Feat

Deadly Offense
Type of feat: General
Prerequisite: None
Required for: None
Specifics: You deal an extra 1d6 points of damage with any single weapon held with two hands when using Power Attack, Parry or Northlander Hewing. This bonus is only applied when you are unarmored or wearing light armor.
Use: automatic
Last edited by Daimondheart on Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Re: New PrC Bladehowler

Unread post by DaloLorn »

It's an interesting one, at face value... would this get a drow equivalent like Bladesinger did? Deathhowler? :lol:

That said, I think staff opinion these days trends towards "no more new classes". This will be doubly so for a homebrewed PRC, and even if this were not the case, I'd never be comfortable promising that your proposal would be accepted without modification.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Daimondheart

Haha, yeah, Deathhowler popped into my head, too. Although if bladehowler is accepted, then deathhowlers would be a very, very new style for drow as lorewise the bladehowler class was only developed in the last few centuries. I also adjusted the bonus feat list by removing weapon specialization and adding mobility back in. I thought the former was a bit much and the latter would still offer some benefits to a bladehowler (or at least as much as it does for a bladesinger).
Last edited by Daimondheart on Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

You couldn't take Weapon Specialization as your bonus feat unless you had 4 fighter levels, anyway, so I don't see much of a problem. But I don't see much of a problem with removing it either, so whatever!
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Ghost
Global Admin

Unread post by Ghost »

Daimondheart wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:57 amlorewise the bladehowler class was only developed in the last few centuries
Not heard of this before. Where is it from?
Daimondheart

It's not an official PrC. I came up with the idea after having a discussion about Bladesingers with someone else, so I just created lore that I thought would make the most sense.
renshouj
Custom Content

Unread post by renshouj »

Yeah, while its an interesting thought exercise, you won't find much success in actually pushing for implementing a PrC that is fully homebrew.
Discord: jojoelm
Brazilian Timezone (GMT-3)

Current Character(s):
Runa Helvig - High Druid of Eldath of the Green Enclave ( BIO | JOURNAL )
Ghost
Global Admin

Unread post by Ghost »

I like the creativity, but I concur with the others. The homebrew part of the lore unfortunately diverges so much from elven traditions I'm not sure it makes a huge amount of sense. The name carries the same connotations as "ragemage" and the description is a significant departure from the usual military doctrine of elves. I'm also a bit confused by the reference to Corellon's dogma, as the suggestion opens for any of the Seldarine and the class doesn't particularly reflect Corellon's teachings, especially considering Corellon's emphasis on guarding and defense.
Daimondheart

The elves are sculptors and wardens of magic's endless mysteries. Bring forth the beauty that envelops and lets the spirit gambol unfettered. Seek out new experiences and new ways. Ward against those that would destroy what they cannot create. Commune with the natural and mystical world. Be ever vigilant against the return of the banished darkness and be strong in heart against the corruption of the Spider Queen.
This is the dogma I'm referring to, though it's not present in the BG wiki. Specifically the first 3 lines. And just because the class is more offensive oriented doesn't mean it can't be used to protect others. I'm not sure where the ragemage part is coming from though. As far as the way they use magic, it's the same as a Bladesinger save the special spell. The only differences in melee are damage rolls over ac bonuses and some of the available bonus feats.

If all offensive strategies were taboo to elves, then elves would avoid attack magic, only cast wards, and all melee classes would be tanks and healers.

And here's a screenshot of the full dogma from Demihuman Deities for reference.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”