XP Pool System Option Instead of Quests

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Calodan

XP Pool System Option Instead of Quests

Unread post by Calodan »

Hey all I bring this up every so often I know but as a long time player I really feel that quests are a bit of a hassle. The main line quests that one can do alone or SOLO equal up to about 10.5K in XP. I propose a XP pool system instead for that. If one prefers quests they can do the quests and the quests will tick off from that pool system. If one does not want to do quests then they can go fish, talk by the fire or kill monsters and the XP pool system will tick off 25 XP per XP award you get to add to whatever XP was being awarded. I.E. Catching a fish, talking or killing a monster.

By doing the XP pool we are not awarding any XP that is not already accounted for in the BG leveling system so we won't actually decrease any time to get to 30 in theory. Yes there will be more players grinding it out I assume and for Rogues this would be the bestest ever boon. Hard to level builds or damage sub par builds could in theory level up a little easier and not have to go to higher places where they do not do well.

Also I am prepared to send weekly beer to the Dev who would do this.....
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Re: XP Pool System Option Instead of Quests

Unread post by chad878262 »

Dagesh had done the basic setup at one point. However, it's brener Been agreed upon to implement. Would be nice though.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Steve
Recognized Donor

Re: XP Pool System Option Instead of Quests

Unread post by Steve »

So essentially you propose to double the rate of XP given for Actions (kills, fishing, chatting), up to an amount of 10.k XP per week.

Kills and fishing ALSO net (pun!!!) a PC other valuable things (coin, items, etc.), where killing mobs is the only one along with doing the Quests (though that stops being risky after a certain Level) that has a Risk vs. Reward to it.

You forget to mention that one isn't forced to do the Quests. The Quests, as they are, provide what is essentially a XP guarantee accrual for minimal risk, per week. If anything, the Quests should be argued to be abolished because they become, after the second go round, essentially an OOC action performed on a Role-play Server.

That said, if anything, it would make the most sense and be the most valuable change to the Server if Quests were made 1 time actions, provided much more XP for the 1-time action, and instead, a new XP granting system that better supported IC RP would be established.

One way to do it, perhaps cruel to the Grinders, is to make Kill XP pay out at a much greater rate per kill, but have a cap per Server Reset. Would that guide Players to more "role-play" since they would grind for an hour to the cap instead of 8 hours, thus giving them more hours of their game time to role-play? Or would these Players just log in for an hour every 9 hours and grind out their Toon to Level 30 in 4 weeks?

I guess what I am trying to get to here is that what is the purpose behind getting more XP faster, or, getting more XP without having to be "out in the world" adventuring, which is kinda what this D&D inspired game is all about? More XP literally means faster to 30 leveling, which means you reach the end of your Character's progression faster, which means...less to do, in the end.

Level 30 provides little to no progression, literally mechanically, and often in the Role-play context. I mean, you can't even slide backward to Level 29!!! Well, unless a DM has reason to adjust your Character's "experience" that way.

Hey! That's an idea! What if XP gain was increased, either via a Pool or whatever, but also was added a System where you actually lose XP, and not just when dying from being killed by mobs (which almost never happens when you're Veteran players because you know the ropes of the Server)? Not to forget to mention that on BGTSCC we've had almost a yearly 100% RCR schedule, which means XP is never being lost!!!

By the uncaring grace of Ao...we really have it good on BGTSCC, don't we?!? 0:)

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”