Why is gold worthless to Vets?

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Quality Control, DM

niapet

Why is gold worthless to Vets?

Unread post by niapet »

I was thinking about a post where it was mentioned that players often won't sell epic items for gold, and I was wondering why this might be. Then it occurred to me; gold doesn't really buy much.

Pcs don't need nice cars or nice food or houses or new furniture etc.. so gold has very little value. If rich players had uses for gold they might be willing to accept it as a currency.

Maybe players need things like housing and other things that can consume large amounts of gold. If housing were able to be purchased, and maybe had upkeep taxes, perhaps gold would regain some value as a currency.

I think things nice homes, castles, towers, lands and other signs of wealth and power would be very useful in creating gold sinks and making gold regain some value.
Elspeth Silverleaf "Is a thing good because the gods say it is so? Or is there objective good in the universe?"
Cherry Thistleknot "Cherry, like the tree, Druids like trees"
adobongmanok

Re: Why is gold worthless to Vets?

Unread post by adobongmanok »

As a player with 2 million + gold, I agree. The only time I spend my gold is when I run events or usables. Teleport probably sinked 5 million + gold from me lol. Just too darn lazy to walk!
R'ju - Main, Retired Trader, Member of Bregan D'aerthe
Ledger and Journal Entries: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=65232

Reiju - Ebon Blades Mercenary (PM Me if you need me to login)
niapet

Unread post by niapet »

If enough people like this, and the build team is interested, I have some ideas on how to make it work logistically and within the memory limits of the game.
Elspeth Silverleaf "Is a thing good because the gods say it is so? Or is there objective good in the universe?"
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

adobongmanok

Unread post by adobongmanok »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote:https://imgur.com/UbJhZz4
On behalf of UD, I would like to secure the beta testing of these houses and be implemented first in UD. The surfacers can have it 5 years later. :D
R'ju - Main, Retired Trader, Member of Bregan D'aerthe
Ledger and Journal Entries: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=65232

Reiju - Ebon Blades Mercenary (PM Me if you need me to login)
niapet

Unread post by niapet »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote:https://imgur.com/UbJhZz4
Oh cool, this needs to cost money, and lots of it with upkeep and costs to change things etc..

Make gold valuable again!
Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

niapet wrote:I was thinking about a post where it was mentioned that players often won't sell epic items for gold, and I was wondering why this might be. Then it occurred to me; gold doesn't really buy much.
If you play on any server long enough, you will get enough game currency to acquire the best equipment that money can buy. But that is not necessarily the best equipment that you could possibly have. For example, this server has some old DM rewards floating around, and this server has the potential to randomly generate some truly wondrous item.

Now, people play with different character builds with different item requirements. Not to mention that even if you get your hands on epic items X, Y, and Z, those items might not be of any use to your own character. You might long for that item B, but you might never find it yourself. But if another player does and they actually could make more use of one or two of the X, Y, Z items you have, then it is very easy to do a trade. This is why some 'epic veteran merchants' have such long epic item lists, they are just trying to fish for the one trade they really want to make. If you see something you want, it never hurts to send a PM and ask what kind of items they would like to get in return. Who knows what you will find from the next chest.

As for uses of gold...

You can always create a new character that needs its own set of equipment. You can always choose to burn it on useables. You may fuel your favourite guild with your wealth or start one of your own. Not to mention that you can just keep saving it for that one moment... And who knows, maybe some epic item will eventually pop up for gold based auction, because someone always has use for gold, one way or another.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

From here, as posted by the then-richest character on the server.

And that's why gold is worthless! Until the server has a fully customisable enchanting system that can compete with 'trade only' items but at the expense of gold, gold will never have any value at endgame. And various staff have expressed adamantly that any crafting/enchanting system will never compare to trade-only items, meaning you're outta luck!
wangxiuming

Unread post by wangxiuming »

The tldr version is that gold is worthless because its supply is infinite and it's easy to acquire (relatively speaking).

But I recommend reading the comic anyway, because it's awesome! Plus points for OOTS stylel!
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

Even with gold sinks in place there's no guarantee of it's use.
electric mayhem

Unread post by electric mayhem »

Best. Comic. Ever.

Plus FIAT blows. Buy gold.

~Claret - Proprietor of Clarity Cellars.
~Wouveir - Hellstorm Crew
~Adolamin Marblerune - Arcane Engineer and Lorekeeper citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak. [His Story]
~Harrison Remillard - Morninglord of the Song of the Morning Temple.

Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

Epic shops, a lose lose situation, making the barter system even slower to give you interesting items compared to what you can buy and making the so-called "pseudo" reason to play that looting is effectively less appealing. A terrible idea whose consequences we endure now because lo and behold content doesn't sprout on trees and won't ever do.

Shorten the time to get near perfect mechanical growth and things get stale faster from that point of view. It also didn't solve the value of gold issue, as it will be more and more apparent the more people buy from the epic shops since muling across characters is prevalent. Oh and PvM became even easier than it was because of higher availability of epic gear, what a good idea all around.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Is it mechanically possible to limit the gold in-game?

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Invoker

Unread post by Invoker »

Valefort wrote: Shorten the time to get near perfect mechanical growth and things get stale faster from that point of view. It also didn't solve the value of gold issue, as it will be more and more apparent the more people buy from the epic shops since muling across characters is prevalent. Oh and PvM became even easier than it was because of higher availability of epic gear, what a good idea all around.
Not sure any of that is a bad thing. Follow me for a second, if you please:

-) "Perfect mechanical status" should steer people away from the "need" to loot, and towards RP. All the time spent RPing while/instead of looting thanks to the lack of "pressure" the need for gear generates cannot be a bad thing, right?

-) The value of gold issue cannot be solved without removing muling and introducing crafting. MMOs solve it exactly like this (soul-bound equipment + immensely expensive/time-consuming crafting). For the server, removing muling would generate far, far more issues than it would solve (and this, said by someone who has rarely ever muled in the last 7-8 years)

-) PvM has always been a joke to good players, good builders, and especially to players who are both. The only thing the availability of excellent equipment has done is to make it easy even for inexperienced players and/or sub-optimal/non-synergetic builds. This seems like a good thing too (full RP builds come to mind). Now, you can build your melee character as a new player, gain gold as you l2p and finally get that optimal equipment and adventure into epic areas without the need to hear you should RCR.

I have no intention to attack or defend the Epic Shop, mind you. It's just that those particular reasons don't look so catastrophic...
This twisted culture got you feeding from its hand
But you will lose that food if you don't meet all their demands
And loyal is the soldier that gets slaughtered with the lambs
Examining the blueprints got you questioning the plans
Flasmix
Associate DM

Unread post by Flasmix »

I prefer gold myself personally because I spend a lot of it on teleporting, etc and don't go out to get more.
Wirg to Pug: "Iz lat dun?"
Pugratix to a snarky militia man: "Mmmm. Not yet. I will live for hundreds of years and be heralded as one of the greatest forces of destruction on the face of the world. The only thing you can destroy is the outhouse."

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”