Why is gold worthless to Vets?

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Quality Control, DM

niapet

Re: Why is gold worthless to Vets?

Unread post by niapet »

It would be cool if crafting could make epic items. If it needed epic ingreadents that needed to be found in loot, plus commonly gathered items, plus massive amounts of gold, it could solve several problems at once.
Elspeth Silverleaf "Is a thing good because the gods say it is so? Or is there objective good in the universe?"
Cherry Thistleknot "Cherry, like the tree, Druids like trees"
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

niapet wrote:It would be cool if crafting could make epic items. If it needed epic ingreadents that needed to be found in loot, plus commonly gathered items, plus massive amounts of gold, it could solve several problems at once.
you'd be surprised how fast something that was intended to be rare or difficult to achieve will become commonplace in the community. then, next step is, it becomes the new norm.

this place is crazy...

(i am not referring to anyone in particular and am only being silly and having fun. I have no professional or unprofessional opinion that anyone has an actual mental illness. nor am i attempting to make light of a very serious illness that is mental illness.)
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

No, crafting will never make epic items.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

aaron22 wrote:
niapet wrote:It would be cool if crafting could make epic items. If it needed epic ingreadents that needed to be found in loot, plus commonly gathered items, plus massive amounts of gold, it could solve several problems at once.
you'd be surprised how fast something that was intended to be rare or difficult to achieve will become commonplace in the community. then, next step is, it becomes the new norm.

this place is crazy...

(i am not referring to anyone in particular and am only being silly and having fun. I have no professional or unprofessional opinion that anyone has an actual mental illness. nor am i attempting to make light of a very serious illness that is mental illness.)

See EVE:

Battleships used to rare and holy grail. Now battleships are considered "noob friendly ships" in large unit tactics. Hell, even carriers are more or less becoming "line member grade".

And that game has permanent item loss on death and whatnot.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
niapet

Unread post by niapet »

Valefort wrote:No, crafting will never make epic items.
Why bother with a crafting system then? Why would anyone wast time crafting something inferior to what they can just buy at the epic shop?
Elspeth Silverleaf "Is a thing good because the gods say it is so? Or is there objective good in the universe?"
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

niapet wrote:
Why bother with a crafting system then? Why would anyone wast time crafting something inferior to what they can just buy at the epic shop?
Because crafting fills up slots that aren't filled at the epic store. For example, say none of the belts or gloves in the epic store are actually useful for your character. Now, you can craft one to fill in that slot.
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).
Young Werther

Unread post by Young Werther »

niapet wrote: Why bother with a crafting system then? Why would anyone wast time crafting something inferior to what they can just buy at the epic shop?
Yeah seems like common sense, and probably why this hasn't even been seriously worked on.

One reason I could imagine is if you're stacking skills and need to craft an inferior skill weapon. Or if they let you add on hit properties to your favorite weapon type. Or a particular feat that may be crafted? It really depends on what they let you craft.

Really though there must be some upper limit that reaches the insane epic proportions. Think of a horizontal asymptote. Like 40 million for an epic weapon. The most I've ever seen was 20 million on a friend. But I really don't care if crafting is finished since the way it works now does me fine.
metaquad4 wrote: Because crafting fills up slots that aren't filled at the epic store. For example, say none of the belts or gloves in the epic store are actually useful for your character. Now, you can craft one to fill in that slot.
Yes, exactly. However those slots can still be filled if you make your character to use the epic gear as much as possible, I would think.
Lockonnow wrote:greatest fear like the movie Hellraiser they show you what you most fear and take a Image of IT
niapet

Unread post by niapet »

metaquad4 wrote:
niapet wrote:
Because crafting fills up slots that aren't filled at the epic store. For example, say none of the belts or gloves in the epic store are actually useful for your character. Now, you can craft one to fill in that slot.
Oh I see what you saying, it's like a stop gap for the player. That could work out really well actually.

The only downside i see is that people will resell the crafted items once they get that epic drop that is better than the crafted slot. This will lead to a bloat of the crafted items.

This could be prevented by not letting crafted items be re-traded but that hurts the RP of traders. I think some sort of decay mechanic is the best idea. This could keep items cycling out of use so people always need to grind and craft and magic or whatever it is they do!
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

I don't really see why that would be an issue. When you get a better item, you tend to re-sell the old item. That is what happens. Doesn't matter if it was a crafted item, a store item, or a dropped item. If someone buys it, it'll be bought. If not, it'll be vendered. People will still need to craft since someone might not want that specific item.

What issue arises from someone reselling a crafted item? I already do this with wands I don't need anymore.
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

But...one of the big unresolved issues is that all public crafting system discussions so far it was stated that one cannot add properties to items with pre-existing properties.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Valefort
Retired Admin

niapet wrote:
The answer is in your question :D

Crafting will have to not be a power up, fill a niche that isn't covered by shops or other things and most importantly be a fun activity in itself. Ideally of course.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

But...that is EXACTLY what would make crafting shine, Val!

How many millions of times does one loot an Item that has 1 good feature, but still, the Item is useless because it lacks base necessary enchantments?

Or, you have a +4 EB Weapon but what would make it perfect is if you could place +1 Fire dmg on top of it?

But yeah, I’m talking more o a customization-crafting system, more than a from-the-ground-up crafting, from pure nothing.

Well, customization is really the best benefit STILL, exactly because Epic NPC shops do exist now.

Valefort
Retired Admin

Power ups are bad, this is not Dragonball Z. Pushing the limit further away on gear is systematically a bad thing now. We went too far already, adding a way to optimize items is completely suicidal from a growth length perspective.

If the item you found has 1 good feature but is useless simply continue looting. End must not be reached to keep things interesting.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Then roll it back, mate.

Is it not exaggeration to say that wanting to add a useful enchantment/enhancement to an existing weapon is Dragonball Z? I'd say that it is quite a relative and expected IC behavior, for our Characters to search out a crafter/wizard to empower their gear!

What I find more ridiculous is this promoted "go out and loot" aspect, as if our Toons are supposed to know that there exists and infinite amount of treasure in the World.

You are right about something: the situation is far off the rails. All the infinite gear available from NPCs and the Infitinite everything from Looting totally skews any attempt at landing on a rational solution.

The only way to fix the problem, is to start over! :twisted: 0:)

Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

The problem with that is how one man's epic items are another man's trash. Same can be said about the content of the in game epic stores.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”