Why is gold worthless to Vets?

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Quality Control, DM

Valefort
Retired Admin

Re: Why is gold worthless to Vets?

Unread post by Valefort »

The power wheel only turns one way except for recent changes Steve. For the better or the worse there is no rolling back on epic shops at all. Also I never questioned the will for most PCs to get better gear, quite the contrary. There's no rational solution from an IC point of view because the infinite loot does not make sense in that context in the first place.

Solving gold issue by throwing more powerful gear (no matter the source, shops or crafting) is only ever a temporary measure when gear is permanent. Gold sinks have to be temporary, like consumables, or they become just another way of accumulating wealth.

So, temporary enchanting ? One that has to be renewed ? I aired the idea when the +4 INT circlet was added and it was rejected. There's not much room for such items between epic shops or loot content (the ceiling) and the quasi-readily available +3 gear (the floor)... too small a niche to fill.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Nemni
Custom Content

Unread post by Nemni »

Valefort wrote:So, temporary enchanting ? One that has to be renewed ?
In a way we already have this with elixirs, which can give a long range of powerful temporary boosts. But ask most alchemists and they'll say the demand isn't very high. It seems balancing the cost vs reward of temporary boosts would be very hard.

I'm thinking that maybe we should just have a simple gambling system. Pay X amount of gold and you get a highest tier chest all to yourself, which might contain an ale stein or one of those rare epics. It wouldn't exactly encourage people to grind for gold (as they could just as well directly grind for chests), but for anyone who has more gold than they know what to do with... it would be a legit way to spend it. And then gold would be forever worth at least X * 'chance of epic'.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

SMASH THE POWER WHEEL!!!

I'm attached to my unique items, some earned through year long RP, but I'd wipe my inventories in a heart beat if the whole Server wiped inventories, and we locked in crafting with +3 max but multiple enchantments without too many rules (maybe 4 types of enhancements limit). And double the Rest Timer.

But that's me.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

Steve wrote:some earned through year long RP
:lol:

Maybe I should become a DM here, just for Steve, and teach him what year long RP really means. :twisted:
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Well, we do need more DMs, and you do talk a lot of (#2) Monkey Man, so yeah, how about it?!? Show us what you got, instead of just words!

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Akroma666

Unread post by Akroma666 »

Valefort wrote:Image
Hidden: show
The power wheel only turns one way except for recent changes Steve. For the better or the worse there is no rolling back on epic shops at all. Also I never questioned the will for most PCs to get better gear, quite the contrary. There's no rational solution from an IC point of view because the infinite loot does not make sense in that context in the first place.

Solving gold issue by throwing more powerful gear (no matter the source, shops or crafting) is only ever a temporary measure when gear is permanent. Gold sinks have to be temporary, like consumables, or they become just another way of accumulating wealth.

So, temporary enchanting ? One that has to be renewed ? I aired the idea when the +4 INT circlet was added and it was rejected. There's not much room for such items between epic shops or loot content (the ceiling) and the quasi-readily available +3 gear (the floor)... too small a niche to fill.
Personally, I think all grandfathered gear should be removed and/or replaced with a hard capped equivalent. By hard cap, I mean +4 eb items can only have say 2 additional properties and a maximum of +1d6 elemental damage. Any stat can have a +3 with additional properties, or a +4 with nothing else on it. Make all this gear craftable for all slots with a high price, makes players have to talk to one another. Gold will become worthless on everything except for consumables, fees, and building things like guild halls or rp elements. It's going to be worthless anyways, might as well level the playing field and put a hard cap to the power creep.
Storm - The Blade Flurry
Druegar Grizzleclaw - The Mountain Ruin Tsar
Akroma Thuul - The Creepy Enchanter
Liliana Duskblade - The B*tch of Bane
Jamie Dawnbringer - The Light in the Darkness
Sun Wukong

Steve wrote:Show us what you got, instead of just words!
Alright. Please follow this link: viewtopic.php?f=136&t=65181

I await for your input. :twisted:
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
niapet

Unread post by niapet »

Valefort wrote:Image

That's a shame, I like the idea of temporary enchanting. There needs to be a reason to keep buying items and services from other players. At this point there is no economy to speak of. People don't need things players make, for the most part. Maybe a wand or potion here or there.

The idea of temporary enchantments seems great and the ability to make enchantments, potions, mining, all these skills should be bound to account not character. Players should not be able to just make 5 characters and make all the stuff they need for themselves.
Elspeth Silverleaf "Is a thing good because the gods say it is so? Or is there objective good in the universe?"
Cherry Thistleknot "Cherry, like the tree, Druids like trees"
niapet

Unread post by niapet »

Steve wrote:
The only way to fix the problem, is to start over! :twisted: 0:)
Yes yes.. I agree 100% !!
Elspeth Silverleaf "Is a thing good because the gods say it is so? Or is there objective good in the universe?"
Cherry Thistleknot "Cherry, like the tree, Druids like trees"
Sun Wukong

What players want to do themselves is what players want to do by themselves. If someone wants to create five characters to craft everything they desire, I say let them. It is not exactly a cake walk...

I have done that on some proper MMOs with far, far grindiier requirements than on this server. I mean, in some ancient game called Ragnarok Online, my main was a Rogue/Stalker which had rather limited damage potential. But I noticed that Elemental Converters from the quest skill of Sage class could be used to transform 'neutral' weapons into elemental ones. There was no Sage who could bother to do the quest for the skill, so I had to do it myself. I had to roll a new novice, make it a mage, and then a Sage. But the effort was worth it, and it basically doubled the damage output that my Rogue/Stalker could do with an Orc Archer's Bow and Steel Arrows. Leveling up was no longer a challenge... I could one or two shot enemies from distance.

Personally, I do not have the time to roll five characters and level them up to low epics to do crafting properly. But if others do, well, then with a bit of coin from me the effort they saw will also benefit me.

There are NWN servers where crafting characters come with their own prestige. Basically, based on how the servers are set up - crafters often become necessary go to characters and that has its own perks and downsides. The one perk is that crafter character is automatically of great value to almost everyone else. But if you cannot locate one due to time zones, or manage to get on the wrong side of the only one the server has... Well, isn't that just a sign of some really good times, and especially if the server has silly rules against muling or multiple characters.

But as for crafting in particular. The ban on 'epic' item crafting is actually fine, as long as the epic items are defined as ones that come with +4 bonuses. As a number crunching shameless power builder, when it suits me, I would actually prefer those 'greater' +3 items that fit the character like a glove rather than use some 'epic' +4 item that only kind of does. But that might be just me though...

As for the temporary buffs, the problem lies in the nature of temporary buffs. Recently the server has been crashing a lot, and if the server goes poof, so do the temporary buffs. This means that if it is costly to use temporary buffs, it is better to get the +3 equipment and save money for the +4 ones. And on the other hand, if it is very, very cheap, it will just end up replacing either the +3 or +4 equipment.

The current temporary buffs you can get from Master Alchemist are something that I would only consider for PvP, DM events, or the rare occasion of Epic Boss Hunting. I do not think I am alone in that.
- Elminster, probably.
Valefort
Retired Admin

How about making the appearance changers charge gold ?
Young Werther

Unread post by Young Werther »

Valefort wrote:How about making the appearance changers charge gold ?
As long as you roll back the grand fathered outfits. :lol:
Lockonnow wrote:greatest fear like the movie Hellraiser they show you what you most fear and take a Image of IT
Sun Wukong

Valefort wrote:How about making the appearance changers charge gold ?
- Elminster, probably.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Admit it would be a good gold sink :P
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

appearance changing is a good idea for a gold sink. effective. repetitive.

more gold does not equal more mechanical advantage

"you mean i have to pay gold to play dress up with my barbie dolls?"
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”