Suggestions for Master alchemist

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

kitteninablender

Suggestions for Master alchemist

Unread post by kitteninablender »

A few things:

1) Give Master Alchemists the "Use Poison" ability given to Assassins and Blackguards. Because that just...kinda makes sense in my perspective.

2) Allow a Master Alchemist to turn Area Spells, such as Fireball, Cloudkill, Cacophonic burst into Elixirs...except they are GRENADES.

Think about it: A "Grenade" uses the exact same formula as making an Elixir. But it creates just that: A grenade of an area spell. So you can put a CL 30 Delayed Blast Fireball into an Elixir...and give it to your buddy to chuck at someone!!

One of these already exists as an item in game, it's called an Elixir of Horus-Re, which is a Sunburst in a bottle. So why couldn't you put a Fireball in a bottle? :P

Thoughts? Ideas?
Chaos is relative. What is normal for the Spider is Chaos for the Fly.
Kitunenotsume

Re: Suggestions for Master alchemist

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

I also brought up the poison thing on Discord a month or two back (August 15th), but it sounded like the general retort was "Poisons are useless, and need to be fixed first" (Or, "Add Assassin/BG/Shadow to your build"). Sooo ... effectively shelved?

I also think the ability to make Firebombs or Acid flasks/bombs, and other alchemist grenades would just be a good option generally.
Those dosen't even need making potions, and currently have no means of acquisition short of loot, for some reason?
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

Suddenly, I'm imagining people putting Mass Heal into elixirs... Healing grenades! :lol:
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

kitteninablender wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:06 pm 1) Give Master Alchemists the "Use Poison" ability given to Assassins and Blackguards. Because that just...kinda makes sense in my perspective.
Yep, as others said no issue here.
kitteninablender wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:06 pm 2) Allow a Master Alchemist to turn Area Spells, such as Fireball, Cloudkill, Cacophonic burst into Elixirs...except they are GRENADES.
They can already craft 3 perfected alchemist fires per rest which based upon the popularity of throwing them on the AH are quite desirable by players. I'm not sure if specific spells can be crafted to grenades without somewhat expansive coding, but it is possible considering what Dedude did with the Flashbang and Grease bombs for rogue's. I wouldn't say 'no' to this so much as 'if a dev wants to work on it I would be happy to discuss potential spells that would 'ok' to add. I certainly don't want to see up to level 7 'grenades' and I think we do need to consider DC spell grenades. Really would have to consider this spell by spell.

In either case I would consider both of these and 1 is kinda a no brainer. However, would also say spell casters and the Master Alchemist PRC specifically do not exactly need help either.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Kitunenotsume

chad878262 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:28 amI'm not sure if specific spells can be crafted to grenades without somewhat expansive coding, but it is possible considering what Dedude did with the Flashbang and Grease bombs for rogue's. I wouldn't say 'no' to this so much as 'if a dev wants to work on it I would be happy to discuss potential spells that would 'ok' to add. I certainly don't want to see up to level 7 'grenades' and I think we do need to consider DC spell grenades. Really would have to consider this spell by spell.

In either case I would consider both of these and 1 is kinda a no brainer. However, would also say spell casters and the Master Alchemist PRC specifically do not exactly need help either.
Currently, you can put any single-target spell into an Elixir, though Elixirs and potions are guaranteed to fail if you try to use them on a target other than yourself with the general text of "You spill it everywhere while trying to pour it at the other person" (Even a willing target out of combat. No feeding your unconscious ally, despite what tabletop rules allow for). I would surmise that for adjusting it to include 'grenades' would be a matter of permitting "Ground-target" spells to be valid elixirs.

However, I am also of the opinion that it really isn't in the nature of the class to weaponise spells in that regards. Potions are by nature intended to be used personally or on allies, while any offensive elements should come from the alchemical (and semi-mundane) angle.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
DangerMouse2

Unread post by DangerMouse2 »

Maybe add selectable feats while leveling up to weaponize certain alchemical mixtures. One benefit could be the potentially many different types of master alchemists this could produce.

I could see how some people might then complain about not being given the option to add that feat during level up if they are already too far progressed in their build. To this the answer could be that these new advances in the field of alchemy were not discovered until now, hence it would not have been possible to learn them before. Or their characters might be strongly motivated to learn these new techniques and are willing to go back to school, as it were, or RCR, as it really were.
kitteninablender

Unread post by kitteninablender »

I mean, the way I see it:

If a Master Alchemist has the ranks in Use Magic Device to use a scroll of Mass Heal to put into an Elixir, paying for both the scroll and the Elixir, because they might need that Caster level 30 Mass Heal in a boss battle? Why the hell not?

That's the thing: If you're willing to pay for it...why not? That's the way I look at most things when it comes to magic items really.

It's the age-old question when creating a new magic item, "What should this magic item be worth?"

The answer: "Whatever your players are willing to pay for it. And not one copper less."
Chaos is relative. What is normal for the Spider is Chaos for the Fly.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

Gold is easy to get and consumables can be spammed. In fact they're already problematic therfore I don't think expanding the list of spells as consumables is a good idea.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Kitunenotsume

kitteninablender wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:39 pmIf a Master Alchemist has the ranks in Use Magic Device to use a scroll of Mass Heal to put into an Elixir, paying for both the scroll and the Elixir, because they might need that Caster level 30 Mass Heal in a boss battle? Why the hell not?
This is already possible. No functionality change is needed. The limitation is that you need to target yourself as the center of the effect.

Which basically serves as evidence to Valefort's point.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”