Allow casters to cast Bestow Curse upon objects

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

kitteninablender

Allow casters to cast Bestow Curse upon objects

Unread post by kitteninablender »

I've always liked the idea of being able to intentionally curse magic items.

I think if you cast Bestow Curse on a magic item it should apply a Cursed property to said magic item. A random negative property. It can be removed per normal.

The reason for this: I've considered RPing a Priest of Beshaba who intentionally leaves cursed magic items for people to find, to spread misfortune. I think it would be nice to intentionally curse a magic item and then leave it in a chest for somebody to find. *evil laugh*
Chaos is relative. What is normal for the Spider is Chaos for the Fly.
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Re: Allow casters to cast Bestow Curse upon objects

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

It's a cool idea, but there are some design issues to work out. Does the item become de-identified, and if so, when? Are the curse properties hidden until equipped? It'll be tricky to implement, but I think it's feasible.
Kitunenotsume

Re: Allow casters to cast Bestow Curse upon objects

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

kitteninablender wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:20 pm A random negative property. It can be removed per normal.
An additional complication here is that Remove Curse does not actually remove any properties on items, it simply flips a flag. (Can item be dropped/traded? yes/no)

Practically speaking, the easiest way to do this would be to generate a new item of the same base item type as a cursed item and replace the original. It might be possible to just hook into the random loot generator, if we can specifically request a cursed item? the new item would presumably come unidentified, but given that identification happens automatically on examination, the caster would have to be careful about revealing their ploy.

The detriment here is that there would be no means of "uncursing" the items unless we hooked in a substantially more involved and potentially controversial system of turning cursed items back into beneficial magical ones. Burning away money is sustainable from a game-development standpoint; generating value from trash loot is not. Cursing items to remove them from standard play seems like a reasonable cash-sink to me.

More discussion is here: viewtopic.php?f=446&t=74696
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”