Bring back vanilla item level restriction

Unread post by yyj »

Title
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Re: Bring back vanilla item level restriction

Unread post by Rhifox »

+1

Never understood why it was removed in the first place. It killed any need for lower tier items.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

Yes please, that would be totally awesome to have again. :clap:
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

*waits for Endelyon to give the “story” before I do, cause no one wants to hear me say it*

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Glowfire

Unread post by Glowfire »

When it was done, it was done with the understanding it can't be reversed. I think if it was changed back anyway, old items wouldn't be affected - only new loot.

I didn't like the level restrictions myself. From an RP point of view, they made no sense.
Power is the most persuasive rhetoric.
Friedrich von Schiller
KOPOJIbPAKOB
Retired Staff

Unread post by KOPOJIbPAKOB »

You gotta consider how this would affect the meta. There's 5 kinds of item AC (shield, deflection, natural, armor, dodge) and only one enhancement bonus kind for the weapons. It means that the higher the stat limit is, the stronger tank characters are and the weaker damage dealears are in comparison, as the attack bonus will only grow by 1 while armor bonus by 4-5 with every additional limit point. Currently, AC-focused characters are overpowered, so it could be a positive change to lower stat limit.

But there's another aspect to this, that is UMD addiction. With lower item stat limit, things such IMA wands and Tortoise Shell elixirs will become more powerful. Another thing to keep in mind is casters, too. Wizards, for example, have access to 3/5 AC type buffs which makes them less susceptible for the change, and Wizard/Sorc is not the class that currently suffers from lack of power.

And ultimately I'm not sure it's possible to lower the gear level of all existing characters and items. I believe Endy once said it's technically possible, but dunno, I'm not an expert on the techincal part.
(\/);,;(\/)

Discord: Nastya Raynor#3136

Pink is me speaking on behalf of the Media Team, everything else is just my player opinion.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

UMD is overused and heavily relied upon, but since the Dispel Fix, it really isn’t to be relied upon as much as it once was.

Additionally the positive aspect of UMD use is that it is a gold sink like nothing else. And we really need more gold sinks since gold is constantly being produced from Ao’s Epic Mint.

DM Foresight

Unread post by DM Foresight »

Rhifox wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:57 pm +1

Never understood why it was removed in the first place. It killed any need for lower tier items.
Unfortunately this is very true, killed lowbie items, also made lowbie dungeons vastly underpowered being able to gear up +4 with a new character. Was actually one thing that made me quite sad when I returned to the server back in 2017. It gave a extra goal to strive for on your character knowing when you were about to unlock the next tier of gear, and allowed for lowbie pvp to be on par no matter if your fighting a vet server player or a brand new one. The market that was lost on lowbie items due to this was pretty bad also.

But as its been said, now that its been done, it's basically permanent unfortunately. As for epics jacking up the cr in novice dungeons perhaps that will be fixed when the split happens, I'm sure with all the added space we will all see new dungeons and areas to explore possibly with props to our lovely area development team.
yyj

Unread post by yyj »

LazyTrain wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:02 pm Only if something can be done about level 30's waddling through low level areas and jacking up the CR scaling, butchering any chance a new player has of doing that content when they're locked into +1 gear only. (The loot changes clearly haven't dissuaded enough people if it's still happening.)

Otherwise, no thank you.
Loot rebalance was made so this wouldn't happen.

It's still a valid concern if a lvl 30 is doing a quest in the area, but then again that is a design problem, don't blame players because the mechanics have turned us all into scavengers picking up scraps to survive.

Nowadays it should be very rare to have high levels on lowbie dungeons.
MrSmith
Recognized Donor

Unread post by MrSmith »

yyj wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:56 pmTitle
Why?
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

DM Foresight wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:26 pm But as its been said, now that its been done, it's basically permanent unfortunately.
Not really, it can be turned off again. Even if a temporary workaround for inventory issues would be needed.
Hawke

Unread post by Hawke »

This has come up before and the best explanation why it can never be reversed was pretty adamant.

Turning it on would invalidate most of the PCs on the server. They would not be able to log in, etc.

I would love to have item level enabled to give purpose and that level of excitement at the lower and mid levels of being able to equip more powerful items.

Maybe there can be a validation tool when you click on the gods to enter the server and the nexus is just the log-in hub where players can unequip the items they are not supposed to be wearing based on their level?

I do not know, I am not smart in that area of the code.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

When your PC logs in equipped with an item that is only usable if you buff UMD, the item will auto de-equip into the Inventory of said PC. And, should the Inventory be full, the item will drop.

Nonetheless, if the restriction was reversed, would the Engine not do the same thing? It is not so terrible if prepared for.

There could be more to it, and it would be nice to have it fully explained, so the issue could be put to rest (again).

Ewe

Unread post by Ewe »

I don't think the "lore reason" holds up. I mean, there's really no good "lore" reason a level 1 character would have a full set of +5 gear. It just would never happen at a PnP table.

Even if it was a "lore" thing to be able to be level 1 with all end-game gear, it just breaks the game. It just makes it no fun at low levels when someone with all end-game gear comes in and trivializes it all.

I get what they were going for with originally lifting the restriction, and by the time you get to end-game it doesn't matter. But as someone who primarily hangs out in the low level range this feature has caused me more headaches than anything.
AKA Dae-Glyth
Discord: Dae-Glyth#1759
Ewe

Unread post by Ewe »

Also, side note. Having had just worked on the !:makeover and !:head features and looked at the OEI library for bic handling. There's really no technical reason why we couldn't come up with a process that processes the bics and makes them "legal" for use with the item restriction mode turned back on. It would be a lot of work to do, but not impossible.
AKA Dae-Glyth
Discord: Dae-Glyth#1759

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”