100% RCR Token instead of a gated window

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Bobthehero

Re: 100% RCR Token instead of a gated window

Unread post by Bobthehero »

+1 Because the way things are heading, I won't be around for the 100% RcR window and there are touch ups I'd like to do on my build
Aurelien Amon: Human fighter, member of the Whitewood Vanguard, Hoarite

Lotrik: Not a wise Genasi, probably stronger than you tho, a master of longswords. Fully retired

Bob Thairo: Dreadknight of Bane, Back on the Coast, tyranning away with his wife
FallingStar

Unread post by FallingStar »

Seconding because not everyone might be available to play when/if the 100% RcR period hits.
Justicia ex umbra.
Louvaine

Unread post by Louvaine »

Sounds very reasonable to me.
Church of Hoar
Morgan Monroe
artemitavik

Unread post by artemitavik »

I like this idea (as long as there are BAGS because you know... just more stuff cluttering up inventory is no good).

I would amend that maybe one token gets awarded every 6 months or so on server? Just because a server isn't having a "major change" doesn't mean the characters don't.
Derik "Crimson Bulwark" Ranloss: Thugging for GREAT JUSTICE!!! (yes, I know he doesn't wear red)
Headmaster:Bladestone Foundation.
Owner:The Last Anchor

Braithreachas Leomhainn
"My purpose is to shed blood for those who can't, and to bleed for those who shouldn't."
MrSmith
Recognized Donor

Unread post by MrSmith »

Great idea so long as it doesn't get put on the top of a very high pile of other great ideas. To your point though, opening a window in which a token can be obtained for immediate/later use affords anyone in-game during the said window (two weeks?) peace of mind to use a 100% RCR on their character's schedule.

If the token were created, I would also recommend adding it to the random loot generator with a drop statistic commensurate with a Dusty Tome. That should keep everyone frosty.

Cheers!
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

I support this, since...:

Subject: Monthly 100% RCR
Steve wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:44 am As this conversation has been going on, I have come to a single option that might just make everyone happy:

One single 100% RCR, per PC “lifetime.”

I could envision it that at creation, each toon is granted a non-trade-able 100% RCR Token (they already exist). If you spend it, you spend it. One time only. If you (do-me) up your one time use to repair mistakes, then you are stuck with the 50% after 20 RCR option (as it is now).

Additionally, if you goof AT ALL with this system, no DM/Admin help should be asked not excepted. This frees up staff from dealing with our dumb asses.
To add to my outline above, the way it would actually work is that to collect the 100%, the player “burns” 2 tokens: one is burned in the submitted PC, the second token is burned on retrieval. This would leave the renewed PC with no token, and thus unable to submit its XP for 100% retrieval ever again (but you could get the 50% still).

100% RCR would become universal, but also freed from management. It really seems the fairest way to go.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Unastine

Unread post by Unastine »

Easier solution would be perhaps change a what's already there function a little bit. Perhaps lower the percentage of xp loss to like %5 every 2 levels after lvl 10, reaching to a %25 loss at 19-20 levels. And perhaps allow leveling after 20 for a couple levels provided there is enough xp after their rcr. I personally think 22 max would be OK if they are aiming to do epic adventures.

Just a thought..
Hawke

Unread post by Hawke »

Going to slide this over into the suggestion page. I left a shadow topic so everyone knows where it went to.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

LazyTrain wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:35 am
Steve wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:09 am I support this, since...:

Subject: Monthly 100% RCR
Steve wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:44 am As this conversation has been going on, I have come to a single option that might just make everyone happy:

One single 100% RCR, per PC “lifetime.”

I could envision it that at creation, each toon is granted a non-trade-able 100% RCR Token (they already exist). If you spend it, you spend it. One time only. If you (do-me) up your one time use to repair mistakes, then you are stuck with the 50% after 20 RCR option (as it is now).

Additionally, if you goof AT ALL with this system, no DM/Admin help should be asked not excepted. This frees up staff from dealing with our dumb asses.
To add to my outline above, the way it would actually work is that to collect the 100%, the player “burns” 2 tokens: one is burned in the submitted PC, the second token is burned on retrieval. This would leave the renewed PC with no token, and thus unable to submit its XP for 100% retrieval ever again (but you could get the 50% still).

100% RCR would become universal, but also freed from management. It really seems the fairest way to go.
I like this. If we're decided on not going for an "RCR every X amount of time" approach and it's just "You get one per character" then this seems like a good plan. I think you could probably make it so they aren't physical items in the inventory too, maybe just set them up as flags.
I think I'd go with a hybrid approach, myself. Give everyone the token on creation, and only let them have one token at a time... but also refresh missing tokens during 100% periods. This way, you're not taking any options away from the devs and DMs:
  • The devs can still start 100% RCR periods if the mechanics have changed to a sufficient degree to justify them. (After all, that was the historical justification for running those in the first place...)
  • And the DMs can still award 100% RCR tokens if justified by the RP. (Considering my best and largest plot as a DM came out of a player's efforts to justify getting a token, it's understandable that I would be in favor of leaving the door open for more of that. :P)
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
artemitavik

Unread post by artemitavik »

I'm not sure i like the "only one 100% rcr per character ever" because honestly, that limits the character growth since we're all a bunch of 30s.

Derik, for instance, has been RCRed several times to reflect changes in his person, etc, during 100% rcr periods. My issue with "well, just rcr and relevel from 20" is 1) then I have to RP the changes a second time. 2) that pretty much puts me back to grinding again as epic levels tend to be the (appropriately) slowest to get. 3) I HATE grinding. Like... a lot. I'm not here to play a MMO grind, I'm here to play a character, and once more going out to fight a bunch of crap just to validate the RP that has already happened, etc, does not appeal.

That said, it has been noted that many threads could be filled regarding tweaks to the RCR system, and I agree. But I would support some sort of earnable rcr token just because, well, sometimes characters change.
Derik "Crimson Bulwark" Ranloss: Thugging for GREAT JUSTICE!!! (yes, I know he doesn't wear red)
Headmaster:Bladestone Foundation.
Owner:The Last Anchor

Braithreachas Leomhainn
"My purpose is to shed blood for those who can't, and to bleed for those who shouldn't."
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

artemitavik wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:41 pm I'm not sure i like the "only one 100% rcr per character ever" because honestly, that limits the character growth since we're all a bunch of 30s.
This. Though 50% is usually okay for most character development, having the option for 100%s every now and then is nice.

On the original topic of a token instead of a gated window, though, I'm completely in favor of that. I'd much rather 100% RCR periods be "everyone gets given a token", which can be used whenever.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

artemitavik wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:41 pm I'm not sure i like the "only one 100% rcr per character ever" because honestly, that limits the character growth since we're all a bunch of 30s.

Derik, for instance, has been RCRed several times to reflect changes in his person, etc, during 100% rcr periods. My issue with "well, just rcr and relevel from 20" is 1) then I have to RP the changes a second time. 2) that pretty much puts me back to grinding again as epic levels tend to be the (appropriately) slowest to get. 3) I HATE grinding. Like... a lot. I'm not here to play a MMO grind, I'm here to play a character, and once more going out to fight a bunch of crap just to validate the RP that has already happened, etc, does not appeal.

That said, it has been noted that many threads could be filled regarding tweaks to the RCR system, and I agree. But I would support some sort of earnable rcr token just because, well, sometimes characters change.
How do you feel about the tweak I proposed in the post before yours?
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

DaloLorn wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:12 pm How do you feel about the tweak I proposed in the post before yours?
I like it.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

We have to be open and state we are essentially moving away from what the RCR (retired character refund) was designed for. Emphasis on “retired.”

Nowadays, the “RCR” is considered a tool more along the lines of Rewrite Character Refund. Which I personally think IS a problem.

Using this tool as a means to FIX errors in a build because of lack of correct published information OR because someone dolted, has reason. And, if mechanical features are adjusted by Staff, thus causing play-a-bility problems.

But using this tool as a means to constantly tweak/morph/rewrite the basic Character, imho, is going a bit far. As in examples of Wizards becoming Sorcerers, Humans becoming Tieflings, etc.

Doubtful this could be managed in anyway, but it may then be a good idea to re-contextualize the tool, and implement it officially in the way it is now mostly used/considered, as evident by comments in this thread, and others before it.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Bobthehero

Unread post by Bobthehero »

Nothing is stopping people from switching from one race to the other as it is, and not having it a 100% refund is just tedious for those who need a rework, I never saw the whole ''people can change everything about their character'' as a good argument myself.
Aurelien Amon: Human fighter, member of the Whitewood Vanguard, Hoarite

Lotrik: Not a wise Genasi, probably stronger than you tho, a master of longswords. Fully retired

Bob Thairo: Dreadknight of Bane, Back on the Coast, tyranning away with his wife

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”