Commerce Gui System

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

V'rass

Re: Commerce Gui System

Unread post by V'rass »

Could just do what they did on the server im on now... set up a bank where you can store your gold and retrieve it later. BG has it pretty easy since you don't drop all your gold when you die here like you do there lol.
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
Kitunenotsume

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

As I read this, it actually seems like this suggestion subtly involves two seperate facets:

#1) appears to address the appearance and RP of large sums of money.

I think this has already been addressed in various conversations, but functionally comes down to player preference. Many players have commented on RPing that all their gold is actually in a bank, and that they use trade-notes or trade-bars instead of counting out coins - you have access to all the funds, but don't need to worry about the weight or security implications.
Additionally, using a WoW-style 100-1 currency steps seems at odds with the existing canon of 1-10.

#2) appears to be a suggestion for the inclusion of financial penalties for death, and a means of imperfect mitigation.

While I support this type of mechanic generally, I do not see it as a functional consideration given the institutional inertia involved with a change of that breadth. It is the sort of mechanic that would really need to have been implemented into a server from it's outset, rather than a decade into it's life. I do enjoy it on servers that have it, but I do not think it is correct for BGTSCC, as the community has previously demonstrated resistance to similar mechanical adjustments.

I can appreciate the ideal providfed by both facets, but do not think them as appropriate in the current server context.

On a related note, I do think that the more commerce and RP would be a good thing, but better supported through other means like the trade-good system suggested by E-Cheese. With that sort of system, we permit PCs to be the very bankers and loan providers you suggest.
Last edited by Kitunenotsume on Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.
V'rass

Unread post by V'rass »

inclusion of financial penalties for death
Heh did not necessarily mean to imply such a penalty should be added... can have one without the other easy enough. :)
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
Kitunenotsume

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

per the OP:
A Hateful Drow wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:26 pm As well, I ask you, what would you think about the risk of losing maybe 5 or 10% of our inventory's money when you die and get resurrected by Myrkul?

That way we could add a bank where our characters could storage their gold with maybe a 1% tax every time they make a deposit.
Without the loss of cash on death, there is no reason to use a bank or to store money, as addressed by the OP.
If there is no risk to lose money, there is no reason not to carry all of it.
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.
Habitu

Unread post by Habitu »

Why not RP as having it broke up into those increments? Some people use notes for large sums, the gold view would be on par with your inventory as well. You are carrying gods know how many items in your inventory. Some multiple weapons, heal kits, potions, armors, etc etc.

I don't see a need personally for adding such a system it's just redundant excess. No one sees what is in someone else's inventory except DMs it can all just be taken care of with RP.

As for the loss of money, time is taken in exchange for death. If you are sent to Myrkul, let's say you were in Cloud Peaks, you have to spawn in at BG, Soubar, or FAI. Then you decide to either make the trip back to get your loot or whatever you were there for. You can teleport which costs 800 gold or you can walk it which takes time in of itself. [Yes I know SA gives it free but still time is taken]

Much like a rogue is useful to have while dungeoneering for those pesky unknockable boxes, a cleric is useful to have for those resurrections, or even scrolls to raise but depending on the cleric , scrolls also cost. Even just having another party member to haul your corpse to the nearest NPC Clergy and raise you for 500. In different ways there is already a penalty to death, I'm not sure more is needed. For some dying and hiking it may not be a big penalty but to some who maybe do not get to play as much as others, every moment of time matters.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”