Half Orcs with Human Bodies (Already Made!)

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

yyj

Re: Half Orcs with Human Bodies (Already Made!)

Unread post by yyj »

Ravial wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:08 am Just saying, but half-orcs in Faerun are not meant to look like handsome, green face humans :P
You find these handsome? :shock: :shock:

Hmmmmmmmm.
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Reminds me of Atlas and his Arkain Half-Orken -- at long last there would be a face that actually fits that Paladin's mug.

So yeah, you actually should add another Half-Orc variant to the server with different base body. If someone wants to play a hulking barbarian, they could, and if someone wishes to harken back to even earlier editions of Dungeons and Dragons, they can finally roll out their hooded Half-Orc assassins and not stick out like a sore thumb in a crowd.

Now, to speak in defence of the old models, Half-Orcs actually haved some custom variant clothing appearances from Bugsidian itself, some of which look better than the default options, including proper spiked pauldrons not found on any other race -- but yeah... not much could be done with that hulking body skeleton which makes Half-Orcs look more orcish than Grey Orcs.

So yeah, I would say that this would be positively wonderful addition to the server.
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
chuck darwin

Unread post by chuck darwin »

YYA wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:24 am Reminds me of Atlas and his Arkain Half-Orken -- at long last there would be a face that actually fits that Paladin's mug.

So yeah, you actually should add another Half-Orc variant to the server with different base body. If someone wants to play a hulking barbarian, they could, and if someone wishes to harken back to even earlier editions of Dungeons and Dragons, they can finally roll out their hooded Half-Orc assassins and not stick out like a sore thumb in a crowd.

Now, to speak in defence of the old models, Half-Orcs actually haved some custom variant clothing appearances from Bugsidian itself, some of which look better than the default options, including proper spiked pauldrons not found on any other race -- but yeah... not much could be done with that hulking body skeleton which makes Half-Orcs look more orcish than Grey Orcs.

So yeah, I would say that this would be positively wonderful addition to the server.

omg i think i had that dude as a toy.
Ravial

Unread post by Ravial »

I rest my case.
"I sometimes wonder if Ravial is actually rav'ialquessir irl" ~ Colonic 2017

~Viridiana Lydhaer - Retired. Silverymoon!
~Arundae Dyraalis - Retired.
~Amaevael Laelyssil - Retired, Selu'Taar on Evermeet
~Laeria Amarillis - #HideThePainLaeria

Ravial ~ By CommanderKrieg ~
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

NERF HALF-ORC GOOD LOOKS!!!

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
edmaster

Unread post by edmaster »

*Hurrr, we must follow the SRD and FR Lore of None Customizable bodies and limited animaton support too*.

Jude, my advice would be just to add it and ignore the Peanut Gallery, let them moan and groan, i know many others would appriciate it, it is literally, just a Line entry in the 2da
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

Ravial wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:54 am

I rest my case.

1e. Ugly face, but very clearly human-like body.

Daelan Red-Tiger. Always thought this guy was outright attractive. NWN1.

Xanos. Pretty human-like face. NWN1.

From ADnD PHB, 1e. Again, rather human body shape, but orcish face.

Point is... half-orcs having diversity in appearance is fine. Some can be closer to humans in body type, some can be closer to orc.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
KOPOJIbPAKOB
Retired Staff

Unread post by KOPOJIbPAKOB »

The only concern I have about the change is the existing half-orc players. Would they be alright if their main character suddenly started looking absolutely different? Or there would be some other solution (for example, on Haven they've split half-orcs into 2 subraces — human skeleton and orcish skeleton). I also wonder how would BG's custom heads by LivT and Jude merge with new skeletons, how much work would it take to adjust them.

As for the looks... come on, the human skeleton models look way closer to the aboveposted art than what we currently have. The present half-orc models look more bestial and feral than gray orcs which is funny.
(\/);,;(\/)

Discord: Nastya Raynor#3136

Pink is me speaking on behalf of the Media Team, everything else is just my player opinion.
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

I don't think we should get rid of the existing one. Just allow swapping between the two, like gnomes already can.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
KOPOJIbPAKOB
Retired Staff

Unread post by KOPOJIbPAKOB »

Rhifox wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:55 pm I don't think we should get rid of the existing one. Just allow swapping between the two, like gnomes already can.
It wouldn't work the same way because both versions use completely different facepacks, while with the gnomes it's the same facepack, where the head automatically shrinks down, trying to get adjusted to the new skeleton (I was against it at the time because of how it looked). Implementing the new bodies with the facepack from the vault — yes, simply shinking the current bestial heads to fit the human skeleton — hard no.
(\/);,;(\/)

Discord: Nastya Raynor#3136

Pink is me speaking on behalf of the Media Team, everything else is just my player opinion.
Roofshadow

Unread post by Roofshadow »

It's notable that sourcebooks always use the qualifiers most, in general and on average when describing different races, and several even include a note about how information doesn't encompass all characters, no two individuals are alike, etc. There's no monolith to be found! Our own real life human population has vast and massive variations in skin tone, nose shape, eye shape, eye color, ear shape, whether earlobes are attached or free, whether tongues can do that weird curly bendy trick or not, thick and thin brows, overall standards of beauty and body modification, height, etc, etc. Seems odd to assume that races so similar they can inter-breed would not also see such variations.

More choices are usually a good thing. After all, these models aren't making half-orcs hot, they're just giving them necks. Player characters tend to oft be the exception to the rule and not a reflection of the average populace, hence why we've many fiend-blooded, dragon-blooded, etc. individuals. Certainly half-orcs with necks can be an exception to the average populace too.
Lyra Roofshadow - Scout & Trap-Remover
Rowan Quinn - Medic & Farmhand
Riva Rootclaw - Druid & Huntsman
cosmic ray

Unread post by cosmic ray »

I think've begun to nitpick appearances in a game that's quite graphically limited.

The thing is that the original half-orc and orc appearances in nwn2 are very badly done. They are ugly not in a realistic orcish sense but in a bad art design and low development skills kind of way. Any of the pictures shown here would make for way better faces in-game, with the exception of that derpy 1st edition one.

The original nwn2 orc and half-orcs don't look fierce, brutal, menacing and ugly in a savage way. They look like derpy cripples that ignorant peasants might sooner laugh at than run away from. Any improvement on that is great in my opinion, even if it may not be 100% ideal true lore representation, since what we have now isn't either.
You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:58 pm
Rhifox wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:55 pm I don't think we should get rid of the existing one. Just allow swapping between the two, like gnomes already can.
It wouldn't work the same way because both versions use completely different facepacks, while with the gnomes it's the same facepack, where the head automatically shrinks down, trying to get adjusted to the new skeleton (I was against it at the time because of how it looked). Implementing the new bodies with the facepack from the vault — yes, simply shinking the current bestial heads to fit the human skeleton — hard no.
There are faces for gnomes that only work with one body style. They aren't all universal. These wouldn't need to be, either.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

This is my main character of the last few months. I think the face/design is awesome. I write in the Examine page the details of his appearance, or let's say that which makes him unique. And then I RP the (#2) out of that Character, even if graphically limited by a small set of choices.

I don't even want the body to skinny, but it would be great if the template allowed for the Half-orc to be taller (than a normal human). Nonetheless, the more options for players in appearance, the better. Appearances!!! Not necessarily broken mechanics!!! (zing!)

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
PaulImposteur
Retired Staff

Unread post by PaulImposteur »

Glad some more people are seeing this post! I hope the traction with is gaining makes it seem worth it to the Devs to work on this possibility. Hopefully soon I'll be rolling an Orc.
User Login: Spidertomb
Hurricane (Dumb Barbarian)
Jordan Steelsplitter (Shady Dwelf)
Xiao Jun (Uninformed Shou Tourist)
Roleeda Ganzfried (Insecure Hin Warlock)

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”