Lack of +4 silver weapons for finesse/small char

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

Lack of +4 silver weapons for finesse/small char

Unread post by Flatted Fifth »

There's only one. It's a dagger. It has no additional damage. The only other silver light weapon in shops is a +3 short sword that costs as much as the best heavy weapons just because it does two points of damage not usually preventable by elemental resistance spells (but so what, look at blindsight sickle, which costs half as much. Also compare it's price to the Butterfly's Edge katana. This +3 short sword costs MORE.).

When it comes to silver +4 weapons we have 1 battleaxe, 2 katanas, 1 spear, and a dagger. (And a longsword, too, though not in an easily accessible store). Only a dagger for small and/or finesse characters. It's not even a particularly good dagger. Seems a little unfair on finesse / halflings / gnomes, doesn't it? We also have a distinct shortage of short swords. There's only one epic short sword, a cold iron one that has very specific alignment requirements that it takes a while to get enough UMD to get around.

NEW WEAPONS:

Yondolla's Blade
Type: Short Sword
Material: Alchemical Silver
Properties:
Enhancement Bonus: +4
Bonus Feat Weapon Focus Short Sword
Bonus Feat Weapon Specialization Short Sword
Only useable by: Good
Text: "Paladin Hin in service to Yondalla who exhibit exceptional courage are awarded these swords; sometimes post-humously"
Price: 260,000

Accurate Skybreaker Sword
Type: Short Sword
Material: Alchemical Silver
Properties:
Attack Bonus +4
Enhancement Bonus +2
Damage Bonus: Divine: 1
Damage Bonus: Electrical: 1
Damage Bonus: Magical: 1
Text: "A product of the Thunderhammer Smithy in Beregost, this weapon is patterned after an elaborate hin design but weighted differently to improve accuracy at the cost of some of its heft."
Location: Traveling Merchant in Beregost (and Epic item dealer in S'shamath)
Price: 320,000
Last edited by Flatted Fifth on Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Re: Lack of +4 silver weapons for finesse/small char

Unread post by DaloLorn »

I did notice an abysmal shortage of epic shortswords out there...
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

where do you need silver + 4 eb short sword at?
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

Dunno about silver, specifically, but it's true that there's not a lot of good shortswords outside the RIG.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

well i belive there unique silver short sword some one need to be lucky to find them in chest
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

LazyTrain wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:19 am I think I only ever bothered making +3's with unique effects for weapons.
Because this game system is literally hit or miss: either you hit and do damage or you completely miss; I.E. no chance of partial hits or glancing blows, accuracy/ attack bonus is WAY more mathematically important in all D&D based games than special effects and extra damage. It doesn't matter if a weapon has +30 damage on it if it misses by even 1 point on the dice.

Also, why WOULD you only make +3's when there's OODLES of +4 medium and large weapons, at least two of every kind? You just.. don't like small characters? I did notice that there's one new short sword +4, but it's not silver and it makes the USER take 10% more damage just because it has a wounding property with a save most enemies can pass. I'll pass on that, my character does not need any help taking damage. :D
Last edited by Flatted Fifth on Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

Lockonnow wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:57 am well i belive there unique silver short sword some one need to be lucky to find them in chest
A str build or a sneak attack based build can grind an easy dungeon for gold, buy epic gear, and then grind the epic dungeons. A swashbuckler or bard or other non-sneak attack based finesse character cannot. And what do the people who CAN grind for epic gear to survive epic dungeons do with the unique short swords? Put them up for trade only for other stuff out of the epic dungeons. SO, there being a couple epic short swords in epic chests is ZERO help.
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

LazyTrain wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:14 pm
Flatted Fifth wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:12 pm Also, why WOULD you only make +3's when there's OODLES of +4 medium and large weapons
Cuz I, in the deepest pits of my soul, have always hated the way this server handles top tier weapons. They shouldn't be crammed into a shop for gold-mules to afford and everyone else to eat arse.
Shops are way more equal opportunity than loot. Everyone can make gold and eventually afford a weapon from a shop. Most people can't get lucky enough to find a good loot item that other players will trade for.
The things I made were supposedly going into the RIG, but I assume they never did because I don't actually know if anybody on the dev team knows how to edit the RIG. They were meant to be cool weapons that you could get that had a bit of server lore tied in, not weapons for stat fetishists to flock to.
We are able to and have edited the RIG. Over a hundred new weapons went in with the server split. If you'd like me to check if your weapons are there, please let me know what I should look for.

As for the OP, I will add a Silver weapon to the FAI/Undrek-whatever epic vendors. Kopo made one with his other weapons, but it went into the loot table instead of the store. Two short swords were meant to go in to those shops anyway, but one had to be pulled for more deliberation, so I can add the Silver one. Nm
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”