Divine Champion Smite Infidel

Suggestions Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

zest78

Divine Champion Smite Infidel

Unread post by zest78 »

Can you put Divine Champion's Smite Infidel on a cooldown timer instead of 1 use per day? As it is, it is quite useless.
Bobthehero

Re: Divine Champion Smite Infidel

Unread post by Bobthehero »

+1

'be nice if it would apply to the Blackguard Smite Good, too, same reason.
Aurelien Amon: Human fighter, member of the Whitewood Vanguard, Hoarite

Lotrik: Not a wise Genasi, probably stronger than you tho, a master of longswords. Fully retired

Bob Thairo: Dreadknight of Bane, Back on the Coast, tyranning away with his wife
MrSmith
Recognized Donor

Unread post by MrSmith »

zest78 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:07 pm Can you put Divine Champion's Smite Infidel on a cooldown timer instead of 1 use per day? As it is, it is quite useless.
I had to check the wiki to confirm DC conveys only one use of Smite Evil/Good (Infidel) per day... Ouch! My Cavalier relies on his 7 x Smite Evil abilities to battle Bosses, and I couldn't imagine taking one on (even in a party) without 5 or more uses on hand.

An increase sounds reasonable, but the question is what does proper balance look like? 30 levels of Paladin equates to 7 Smite Evils or 2.333 per 10 levels. Wouldn't it be better to have a set number of Smite Infidel attacks (2-3) you could string together vs. a one-use with a cooldown timer?

Cheers!
zhazz

Unread post by zhazz »

Considering the low investment required to get Divine Champion, I don't see a good reason to have Smite Infidel have a cooldown usage, rather than uses per day. Though I think adding a second usage per day somewhere between level 7 to 10 would be fine.

The real power of Divine Champion comes from the 5 bonus feats, and the +5 bonus to all saves, which is already a powerful combination considering the very low investment.

If anything it would make more sense to remove Smite Infidel from Divine Champion, and finally get Pious Templar implemented as a Smite focused alternative.
Adrian Baker - An innocent virtuoso (bio | journal)
Relyth Ravan'Thala - Bear of an Elf
Timothy Daleson - Paladin Wand Maker
Duncan Matsirani - A wanderer
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

There's a stock feat for this request already - Extra Smiting. It grants +2 uses per day per class, e.g. if you're a paladin or blackguard and DC you will get +2 uses per day for Smite Evil or Smite Good and +2 uses per day of Smite Infidel, for a total of +4 smites. A paladin 20/DC 10 with this feat will have 5+2=7 Smite Evils and 1+2=3 Smite Infidels. I don't see why the base feat needs to be changed to a timer when +2 uses per day is available from a stock OC feat!
RedLancer

Unread post by RedLancer »

Smite is black boxed as well. I don't believe it's possible to adjust it to a cooldown, and doing so would make it worse; Smite is best used in clusters on high-threat enemies.

Return to “Suggestions and Discussion”