Topic for Warlock Pacts Suggestions Through Kits

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Associate Dev, Quality Control, DM

YYA

Topic for Warlock Pacts Suggestions Through Kits

Unread post by YYA »

Here are links to the default Warlock class and the list of Invocations this server has available. I would say that all are free to suggest any ideas for Warlock pacts that they might have, and personally it does not really matter if your suggestion is derived from one D&D edition or another, a different rule system entirely, or whether or not it is something entirely home-brewed, and I would welcome anyone to point out why a pact would be either too weak or too powerful with suggestions of adjustments. You know, it is healthy to disagree, and Warlock pacts are a long time wish of some players.

Pact: Darkness

Type: Warlock kit, which must be activated on the first level of Warlock.

Lore: You have made a pact with the creatures of the deepest dark, you have welcomed the darkness lurks in the corners of the world, and thus forever more the very light of day is something hideous, and terrifying, to you.

Penalties/Losses:
  1. Gain: Light Blindness (Warlock) -- You suffer from supernatural light blindness derived from the stain on your very soul, and therefore you may never overcome it. /// In mechanical terms, whenever you are in an exterior area, there is a chance that your character could blinded just as any Drow, Grey Dwarf, or Grey Orc might without the Daylight Adaptation feat, and you yourself cannot benefit from the perks of his feat even if you possessed it.
  2. Gain: Weakness to Light -- You suffer double damage from spells such as Searing Light, Body of the Sun, Sunbeam, Sunburst, etc.
  3. Lose: Energy Resistance
  4. Lose: Fiendish Resilience
  5. Lose: Invocations that produce light, such as: Brimstone Blast, Firestride Exhalation, Wall of Perilous Flame
  6. Edit: One weakness could be just flat out Fire and Divine Damage Weakness. 50% or 100% each, which would cover a lot of spells that would produce bursts of light.
Boons/Gains:
  1. Gain: Increased Proficiency (Darkness) -- for every five levels of Warlock you gain either +1 DC or Summon HD with the following invocations: Lure Shadow Demons, Utterdark Blast, and Beshadowed Blast.

And if someone wants to quickly use the same format, just copy and paste the following into your reply:

Code: Select all

[b]Pact[/b]: 

[b]Type[/b]: 

[b]Lore[/b]: [i][/i]

[b]Penalties/Losses[/b]: 
[list=1][*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[/list]

[b]Boons/Gains[/b]:
[list=1]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*][/list]
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
PaulImposteur
Retired Staff

Re: Topic for Warlock Pacts Suggestions Through Kits

Unread post by PaulImposteur »

More pact suggestions plz
User Login: Spidertomb
Hurricane (Dumb Barbarian)
Jordan Steelsplitter (Shady Dwelf)
Roleeda Ganzfried (Insecure Hin Warlock)
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Pact: Knowledge

Type: Warlock kit, must be taken at first level of warlock.

Lore: You have sold your soul for knowledge, infinite knowledge upon anything you might ever desire.

Penalties/Losses:
  1. Lose: Eldritch Blast
  2. Lose: Blast Shape Invocations
  3. Lose: Eldritch Essence Invocations
  4. Lose: Damage Reduction
  5. Lose: Fiendish Resilience
  6. Lose: Energy Resistance
Boons/Gains:
  1. Gain: Infinite Understanding -- For every five levels of Warlock, gain an extra feat that can be used on any of the following: Able Learner, Extra Skill, Extra Language, Skill Focus, or Epic Skill Focus.
  2. Gain: Infinite Mastery -- For every three levels of Warlock, your Warlock caster level is increased by one. This bonus does not stack with the Practiced Invoker feat.
  3. Gain: Infinite Adaptation -- Every scroll used by you uses your Warlock caster level instead of the scroll's innate level to determine its effects and duration.
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

Sorry, i'm bad at inventing stuff and it's specifics, just want to share few more possible kits where the idea comes from kit name:
1) Pacts with different devils from different circles of hells. Such pacts can differ from each other by focusing on specific element:
- Cold
- Fire
- And so on.
Thus, warlock kits granting those, boost warlock's powers related to certain element while lowering their powers in opposite elements.
2) Debuffing and enchanting themed pacts with a variety of invocations and blast shapes with extra effects in exchange for lesser blasting damage
3) Pacts related with imbuing magic into wielder's body instead of using blasts
4) Pacts related to focusing on shapeshifting
5) Pacts related to summoning
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Pact: Fey

Lore: You have sold your soul for the chaotic fey creatures of the Feywild, in order to acquire their mastery to compel and force the minds of others.

Penalties/Losses:
  1. Lose: Fiendish Resilience
  2. Lose: Energy Resistance
  3. Lose: Invocations: Brimstone Blast, Hellrime Blast, Tempest Blast, Undead Bane Blast, Firestride Exhalation, The Dead Walk, Vitriolic Blast, Chilling Tentacles, Hellspawned Grace, Wall of Perilous Flame, Aberrant Claw, Utterdark Blast, Dragon Scales, Lure Shadow Demons.
Boons/Gains:
  1. Gain: Fey Mutation -- As you draw more power from the Feywild, the more the Feywild takes hold of you. For every sixth level in Warlock, you may pick a feat from the following list: 'Fey Heritage, Fey Legacy, Fey Power, Fey Presence, Fey Skin.'
  2. Gain: Fey Influence -- For every seventh level of Warlock, you gain a cumulative +1 DC bonus with invocations favored by the Fey: Frightful Blast, Beshadowed Blast, Charm, Curse of Despair, Dread Seizure, Frightful Presence, Bewitching Blast, Hindering Blast, Noxious Blast, Caustic Web, Painful Slumber of Ages, Baleful Polymorph, Baleful Domination, Binding Blast, Dreadful Word.
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

EasternCheesE wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:43 am - Cold
- Fire
- And so on.
Pact: Cold (Water), Fire (Fire), Acid (Earth), Electric (Air?)

Lore: You have sold your soul to master a single element.

Penalties/Losses:
  1. Lose: Invocations of any other damage type, including the magic damage type.
  2. Lose: Fiendish Resilience
  3. Lose: Energy Resistance
Boons/Gains:
  1. Gain: Mastery of Element -- Your eldritch blasts will always deal your chosen type of elemental damage, and it will always ignore spell resistance.
  2. Gain: Energy Immunity -- For ever three levels in Warlock class, you gain +10% immunity in your chosen element.
  3. Gain: Elemental Fury -- For every sixth level of Warlock, you gain one addition 1d6 Eldritch Blast dice.
Blaze

Unread post by Blaze »

My only request is not to force warlocks to choose a pact of these. I think the best way (for me) is to give space to RP instead of something mechanical and pre-selected by someone else. It would be nice to give more feats to choose from, PrC that add and don't take away flavor, so as to change the current meta.
EasternCheesE wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:43 am 3) Pacts related with imbuing magic into wielder's body instead of using blasts
4) Pacts related to focusing on shapeshifting
5) Pacts related to summoning
3) A PrC that gives extra feats, CL but blocks the progression of the Eldritch Blast (5 or 10 levels PrC, d10, high AB)
4) Something similar to shifter PrC would suffice
5) This is a nice idea, it would be enough to open the PrC hierophant to warlocks for example. (lure shadow demons/epic gate/summon baatezu/undead walk)

PS: I will be too rude but I do not agree with almost any of these pacts. We have a PrC for feylocks, hellfire for infernal, currently we are missing demon and star pact (celestials, slaad etc should be a minority among warlocks, very rare to meet and not the norm)
DaloLorn

Unread post by DaloLorn »

YYA wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:58 am Pact: Fey

Lore: You have sold your soul for the chaotic fey creatures of the Feywild, in order to acquire their mastery to compel and force the minds of others.

Penalties/Losses:
  1. Lose: Fiendish Resilience
  2. Lose: Energy Resistance
  3. Lose: Invocations: Brimstone Blast, Hellrime Blast, Tempest Blast, Undead Bane Blast, Firestride Exhalation, The Dead Walk, Vitriolic Blast, Chilling Tentacles, Hellspawned Grace, Wall of Perilous Flame, Aberrant Claw, Utterdark Blast, Dragon Scales, Lure Shadow Demons.
Boons/Gains:
  1. Gain: Fey Mutation -- As you draw more power from the Feywild, the more the Feywild takes hold of you. For every sixth level in Warlock, you may pick a feat from the following list: 'Fey Heritage, Fey Legacy, Fey Power, Fey Presence, Fey Skin.'
  2. Gain: Fey Influence -- For every seventh level of Warlock, you gain a cumulative +1 DC bonus with invocations favored by the Fey: Frightful Blast, Beshadowed Blast, Charm, Curse of Despair, Dread Seizure, Frightful Presence, Bewitching Blast, Hindering Blast, Noxious Blast, Caustic Web, Painful Slumber of Ages, Baleful Polymorph, Baleful Domination, Binding Blast, Dreadful Word.
No Vitriolic Blast is a tough sell against spell resistance... but then, I guess there's still Tenacious Plague. I think I like it. :)
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Active in Discord.
Notable characters:
  • Shali Menner
  • Pixanie
  • Vilmar Dall
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Rinn Valner
  • "Dae"
Ravial

Unread post by Ravial »

That is directly tied to what the setting allows. Currently, that would be:
  • Demonic
  • Infernal
  • Fey (good and evil)
  • Eladrin
  • Slaadi
  • Elder Evil (Star pact. Like, Dendar the Night Serpent iirc)
So all of this really would need to go through DMs, first and foremost.
"I sometimes wonder if Ravial is actually rav'ialquessir irl" ~ Colonic 2017

~Viridiana Lydhaer - Retired. Silverymoon!
~Arundae Dyraalis - Retired.
~Amaevael Laelyssil - Retired, Selu'Taar on Evermeet
~Laeria Amarillis - #HideThePainLaeria

Ravial ~ By CommanderKrieg ~
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Blaze wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:31 amMy only request is not to force warlocks to choose a pact of these.
If it is implemented as a Kit, it will be like the Crusaders, Divinates, and Cavaliers for Paladins, you do not have to be one unless you choose to be one by activating the kit.
Blaze wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:31 amPS: I will be too rude but I do not agree with almost any of these pacts.
That is not rude in my books. It is big server, people are bound to disagree. And this topic is for suggestions, so it is good to have as many opinions and ideas as possible. And if I am honest, once you have played one Warlock, you have kind of played them all regardless of what ability scores you happen to choose to invest in. Thus a part of me just feels that the "Kit" system would be one way to make things more interesting for the Warlock players.
Ravial wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:02 amSo all of this really would need to go through DMs, first and foremost.
And they are free to give their individual opinions as well. And if the Dungeon Masters cannot agree how to handle Warlock 'Pacts' -- well, then these things could be just Warlock Kits, which just require a name and the players get to decide how they role-play the source of their invocations -- same as today.

Warlock of Darkness sounds to me, as does Warlock of Knowledge, but as for the Warlock of Fey, we are probably better off Warlock of Feywild. Etc, etc. If these are just kits instead of 'Pacts' written in stone.
bharring

Unread post by bharring »

Seems to me that Warlocks as implemented assume a lower planes pact.

It'd be really cool if you could "pick" lower planes or fey (or even dragon), and have their Fiendish-specific traits replaced by ones that fit that pact. This could be a kit, or if we're really aggressive, the features themselves could vary based on other criteria. For instance, if you took Fey Heritage, the Fiendish traits give Fey-related bonuses instead.

As for Invocation availability, I think it'd be cooler to further open up the pool if needed. So that we have Fey or other equivelents to any Fiendish-specific invocations. So players can pick which invocations speak to their character. For instance, a feywild equivlent of The Dead Walk would be really cool and thematic. But whether you get fey or undead should be up to the character, not the class/kit. By making them separate, each character needs to *decide* which flavor they are.

As for "Darkness", that feels like it should be reflected in what invocations/etc you pick. I'd rather see additional invocations available to any pact that makes sense, instead of add them specific to a kit, as some fey or fiends invoke darkness, too.

Some of the other ones might be better as a PRC. I'd love to see a PRC that was more focused on learnings over fiending(/fey) power, for instance. Something like losing out Eldrich Blast progression in exchange for more invocations. Or possibly some light wizard-esque spellcasting.

Also, why is Extra Invocation not available? My first character I tried to do a more utility Warlock, but invocations are tight, and if he went epic it's hard to not go for +eldrich dice. Enabling Extra Invocations would allow warlocks to trade damage for utility.
[DM] Grinning Death
DM

Unread post by [DM] Grinning Death »

Personally, I love this idea. I greatly enjoy customization of classes through kits, it's one of the things I loved about the original Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 :D
Rhifox
Custom Content

Unread post by Rhifox »

I don't believe staff is particularly interested in doing more kits as that can be a complicated and frustrating system.

But we can certainly look into ways to reflect Warlock pacts in *some* way at some point in the future. Increasing class RP diversity (not necessarily through kits) is something I'd like to do personally at some point.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
bharring

Unread post by bharring »

Is there anything (mechanically) keeping us from implementing a "choice" at 1st level, where you pick a pact? And varying certain abilities based on choice?
Rhifox
Custom Content

Unread post by Rhifox »

bharring wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 pm Is there anything (mechanically) keeping us from implementing a "choice" at 1st level, where you pick a pact? And varying certain abilities based on choice?
Picking a pact at first level is possible, and class features can be adjusted and invocations can be made to require certain pacts in order to be taken.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic