Small character staves free feat

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Quality Control, DM

Flatted Fifth

Small character staves free feat

Unread post by Flatted Fifth »

Problem with mage staves on this server is they're large so halflings and gnomes can't equip them without monkey grip. They should have been medium sized magic staves but the devs didn't want people dual wielding them or using a shield with them.

Problem with monkey grip Is that it eats up a feat that would be better off used for metamagic and basically imposes an unfair feat tax on small casters to use the staves.

I propose a new polearm feat to be given for free to halflings and gnomes.

Feat: Polearm Wield
Requirement: Halfling or Gnome (given free at character creation or login)
This feat allows a small character to wield large polearms (quarterstaves, spears, and halberds) two-handed at a -4 attack penalty (ignore this penalty if the character has the Monkey Grip feat and use the Monkey Grip -2 penalty instead). The character will still incur additional penalties as normal if the character is not proficient in the weapon.

I figure if real world humans can use 25 foot long pikes because they're basically all handle, then gnomes and halflings should be able to use the staves in Sorcerous Sundries and halberds and normal spears, but with a significant attack penalty.

Photo
Hidden: show
Last edited by Flatted Fifth on Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
renshouj

Re: Small character staves free feat

Unread post by renshouj »

not agreeing nor disagreeing with the overall idea, but to correct something, Monkey Grip requires BAB +1, not 13 str. Even at low progression, you get that at lvl 2
Discord: jojoel#5232
Brazilian Timezone (GMT-3)

Characters:
Runa Helvig - Druidess of the Cat and Keeper of the Halls of Inner Light ( BIO | JOURNAL )
Davka Onyxvein - Scholar of Portals and the Wind ( BIO )
Akordya Ssenozrym - PRAISER OF SLIME ( JOURNAL )
Flatted Fifth

Unread post by Flatted Fifth »

renshouj wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:19 pm not agreeing nor disagreeing with the overall idea, but to correct something, Monkey Grip requires BAB +1, not 13 str. Even at low progression, you get that at lvl 2
Oh, yeah, you're right. I got its req mixed up in my head with power attack. It's still a feat tax imposed on small casters, though. Correcting my post now, thanks!
DaloLorn

Unread post by DaloLorn »

AFAIK, Monkey Grip is hardcoded. Might be tricky to get around that.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Notable characters:
  • Shali Menner
  • Pixanie
  • Vilmar Dall
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Rinn Valner
  • Virin Swifteye
ZabelSword

Unread post by ZabelSword »

Just a thought, if you cast enlarge person are you able to use bigger weapons?
DaloLorn

Unread post by DaloLorn »

ZabelSword wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:44 pm Just a thought, if you cast enlarge person are you able to use bigger weapons?
Afraid not.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Notable characters:
  • Shali Menner
  • Pixanie
  • Vilmar Dall
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Rinn Valner
  • Virin Swifteye
Deragnost

Unread post by Deragnost »

I know around the world there's some weapons called shortstaff or something like that.

Wouldn't it be better to have those with the same properties of the quarterstaves in sale (example: shortstaff of magic missiles), instead of a whole new feat?
Adrie Brightsong, Squire of the Radiant Heart
Mi-Sun Soh , Royal Vagabond
Rose Wintertal , Itinerant Minstrel
Rhifox
Global Admin

Unread post by Rhifox »

Monkey Grip is hardcoded, but what we could do is give everyone MG for free, rename it, then impose additional penalties on people who don't take a new MG feat that lowers them again. In other words, like we did to make everyone proficient with everything. I wanted to include people using larger weapons with that patch so smaller races can use everything but, again, NWN2 is coded in a way that these things are really annoying to work around. But this idea could work.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic