Energy Immunity: Single Instance

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Tsidkenu

Energy Immunity: Single Instance

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

As I suggested on Discord, I think it would be a great improvement to the tactical overlay of pve/pvp if the Energy Immunity spell operated in-line with Warlock Ignore the Pyre, that is, only a single instance of immunity can be active at a time. If you cast Immunity: Cold and Immunity: Fire, you will only have Immunity: Fire (the last of the spells to be cast). Subsequent casts of Energy Immunity overwrite the previous rather than being additive to it.

And before you all whinge and complain, the spells Endure Elements, Resist Energy, Protection from Energy & Energy Buffer still exist to provide blanket elemental protection, albeit not the 100% 'immune to everything' mindset that prevails now amongst the buff-bot meta.
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Re: Energy Immunity: Single Instance

Unread post by Theodore01 »

wonderful suggestion :clap: :clap: :clap:
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

i like the suggestion.. not sure where that lies in DnD rules (and not sure i care), but for the "game" purposes, it is a good idea.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

3.5e rules say Energy Immunity should stack in instances of different Types.

But it should also override all other castings of Energy resistance/protection of the same Type. But I don't know if NWN2 can handle singling out Types from the blanket resistance/protection spells.

But I'm assuming Energy Immunity is on BGTSCC's custom Breach List? So at least there is that.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Arn

Unread post by Arn »

You mean Wendi won't be tempted to reserve multiple 7th level spell slots for Energy Immunity? I can get behind that. :D
Mi-Le (彌勒) - "Meditate, monks. Do not be negligent, lest you regret it later." ((-Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.146))
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]

((Feel free to reach out to Mi-Le for forum RP!))

Wendi - Haggling crafter. [Bio]
Anatti
Meredith
ZestyDragon
Retired Staff

Unread post by ZestyDragon »

My objection is that monsters meta game, meaning they will use w/e spells you are not immune to. I don't really care about pvp ramifications, though i play an elementalist so i imagine my life would be easier in that regard.
izzul

Unread post by izzul »

agree :clap:
Azzizuleia Tyrielmrande-[Permadeath PC]
Eilondruil Eldanyar-Corellon Larethian[Battle Historian]
Iz Azul-Red Knight[Active]
Krueger-Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617
Mystera Electra-Mystra[Goat Girl]

"give to yourself, took from others-Integrity and Justice"
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

This'd probably make the lower level energy immunity spells more useful as well (the resistance ones). Sure, why not.
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).
matelener
Custom Content

Unread post by matelener »

Nice suggestion. +1
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Only if elemental, of the element types that ask for a reflex save, traps that ignore evasion get fixed.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

The suggested change might have the following changes:

1)
  • At times casters today just cast the blanket immunity on themselves, which leaves non-magical party members with nothing but their base HP. Therefore, with the change their party members might get an Energy Immunity as well.
2)
  • One of the custom changes of this server is that Energy Immunity Fire, Cold, Electricity, Acid, and Sonic have been added to the Spell Breach lists. Wands of Lesser Spell Breach will remove two random spell effects and with only one active Energy Immunity the probability of that crucial Energy Immunity being stripped increases. Greater Spell Breach removes four spell effects. While the Mordenkainen's Disjunction strips the target from six spell effects.

Therefore, any caster that wishes to use 'Elemental' Damage bursts in PvP will be empowered by this change. A high single damage burst spell can simply wipe out a squishy 4HD arcanist even if they have Energy Buffer active for its blanket 40/- elemental damage reduction. Not to mention that even if they do happen to survive the burst of damage, their spellcasting can be disrupted if their concentration skill is not high enough to overcome the DC of "10 + (Spell Level) + (Damage recieved)".

It will also make it harder for non-magical characters to shield themselves from the Orb Spam. Especially, from Automatic Quicken Spell enchanced Lesser Orb Spam. Although it is already possible to do it with a build that has at least 10 levels of Frost Mage and 7 levels of Arcane Scholar on it, the change would mean that the 10 levels of Frost Mage are not as needed as before. Ergo, you can build for additional power.

This change will have an effect on PvP. While, you can argue that it might make things more interesting, it remains to be seen.
3)
  • Currently the only people really interested in stacking "X% (Type of Elemental Damage) Resistance" items are the non-casters. With the suggested change you might witness a higher demand for such items as arcanists might wish to acquire some additional resistance themselves.
4)
  • The server has caster mobs who often come with somewhat interesting selection of spells. For example, Orb spells of various elements. Without the blanket immunity of five Energy Immunities a simple spawn of caster mobs can wipe out a character. I know this first hand from prior experience when a room full of Duergar casters took a character with almost 400 Hp down to below 50 in a single round. Therefore, I think it would be preferrable if areas had a focus on single elemental damage type to help players meet the challenge.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Blackman D
Retired Staff

Unread post by Blackman D »

Hoihe wrote:Only if elemental, of the element types that ask for a reflex save, traps that ignore evasion get fixed.
there are no traps that ignore evasion

there are traps that require a reflex save vs paralysis, -not- vs damage, therefore evasion is irrelevant

i dont mind the change tho i doubt it will do much aside from nerfing looters
everyone is evil till proven otherwise
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

I imagine this is more of a PvP then PvE change. I have never needed any, much less more than 1 energy immunity in a specific area of the server. Sure, cold immunity helps against frost giants, Acid immunity is nice in a few area's, etc. but from a PvE consideration there are multiple other ways to avoid damage. Traps are the one area where it might nerf looters a little, but not much I doubt. Energy Buffer will at least take the edge off most of the traps on chests and a wand of summoning can handle ground traps you can't get around.

I'd be fine with it either way though, from a balance perspective everyone would have to follow the same rule after all, so long as the bosses out there don't get multiple immunity instances, right?
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Blackman D
Retired Staff

Unread post by Blackman D »

the only boss i know that uses multiple is the dracolich who has cone of fire breath weapon and casts ice storm, pretty sure he has a negative energy breath weapon also but thats stopped by death ward not EI
everyone is evil till proven otherwise
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

chad878262 wrote: I'd be fine with it either way though, from a balance perspective everyone would have to follow the same rule after all, so long as the bosses out there don't get multiple immunity instances, right?
Oh yeah, you mean like the bigbys change was handled? /s
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).

Return to “Mechanics”