Resurrection/Raise Dead

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

MasterSilke

Re: Resurrection/Raise Dead

Unread post by MasterSilke »

I truly see nothing wrong with the mechanics of raise dead/resurrection in the game at present. As many have stated, this is a game for fun and enjoyment. To have excessively debilitating mechanical effects for a character in which much time/effort has been invested would be, I think, generally perceived as frustrating at best. Not to mention this is a medium RP server.

That being said, I will admit that I myself absolutely despise the "Oh I died for the umpteen millionth time" RP. It is nonsensical and is contrary to lore despite coming back from the dead being a reality within said lore. Let us be honest, in the lore few people in all the Realms have access to or can afford such magics as raise dead and resurrection. Not to mention most individuals who die would much rather prefer remaining in the plane of their patron rather than going back to the mundane grind of the Material Plane. The gods would also not permit the willy-nilly resurrection of so many people. Do exceptions and rarities occur? Of course. But it is a much different context when you are dealing with six or so players in a tabletop game and hundreds of players in a PW server - the former having a much wider leniency for the exceptional and extraordinary.

Be that as it may, the mechanics are fine as is whereas the RP can be silly. But again, this is a medium RP server. I may be deemed as an RP purist or stickler or even disrespectful towards the RP of others, but if I hear someone spouting that they have died 30+ times or some such thing, I just ignore it. Much like if someone said they ran from Nashkel to Baldur's Gate in ten minutes, just shrug and let it go without giving it the time of day. There is really no need for snarky IC responses nor harping OOC in such instances because at the end of the day, it is rarely fruitful and really not all that important when put in perspective of the grand scheme of things.
Emrys Kerr - Reader of Candlekeep
Slunko

Unread post by Slunko »

MasterSilke wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:01 pm I truly see nothing wrong with the mechanics of raise dead/resurrection in the game at present. As many have stated, this is a game for fun and enjoyment. To have excessively debilitating mechanical effects for a character in which much time/effort has been invested would be, I think, generally perceived as frustrating at best. Not to mention this is a medium RP server.

That being said, I will admit that I myself absolutely despise the "Oh I died for the umpteen millionth time" RP. It is nonsensical and is contrary to lore despite coming back from the dead being a reality within said lore. Let us be honest, in the lore few people in all the Realms have access to or can afford such magics as raise dead and resurrection. Not to mention most individuals who die would much rather prefer remaining in the plane of their patron rather than going back to the mundane grind of the Material Plane. The gods would also not permit the willy-nilly resurrection of so many people. Do exceptions and rarities occur? Of course. But it is a much different context when you are dealing with six or so players in a tabletop game and hundreds of players in a PW server - the former having a much wider leniency for the exceptional and extraordinary.

Be that as it may, the mechanics are fine as is whereas the RP can be silly. But again, this is a medium RP server. I may be deemed as an RP purist or stickler or even disrespectful towards the RP of others, but if I hear someone spouting that they have died 30+ times or some such thing, I just ignore it. Much like if someone said they ran from Nashkel to Baldur's Gate in ten minutes, just shrug and let it go without giving it the time of day. There is really no need for snarky IC responses nor harping OOC in such instances because at the end of the day, it is rarely fruitful and really not all that important when put in perspective of the grand scheme of things.
This reply made me sad. But I was also unaware that bgtscc is a medium-RP server, so I guess it shows what I know. If we're a medium-RP server officially, then I guess none of this matters.
Galean, Rock and Gale Enterprises
Goth Dar'gul Eye of Ruin
Remus the Marauding Malarite
Wolfrayne
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Wolfrayne »

Why not have temples are only able to raise people of lvl 10 or under as they lack the power to raise those of greater strength? Helps new people out while still allowing priests and clerics to be viable later on. As for scrolls and such well treat em how you want. for me a death is a KO not a death and i simply RP as someone finding me and dragging me somewhere safe.
Reiker Vexx - "Fortune favors the bold"
Cyrus Raviin - "Veritas Credo Oculos"
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Slunko wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:27 pm
MasterSilke wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:01 pm I truly see nothing wrong with the mechanics of raise dead/resurrection in the game at present. As many have stated, this is a game for fun and enjoyment. To have excessively debilitating mechanical effects for a character in which much time/effort has been invested would be, I think, generally perceived as frustrating at best. Not to mention this is a medium RP server.

This reply made me sad. But I was also unaware that bgtscc is a medium-RP server, so I guess it shows what I know. If we're a medium-RP server officially, then I guess none of this matters.
Let's not engage in passive-aggressive warfare where we try to make the opposition appear as weaker RPers, yeah?

One can be for High-RP and absolutely, utterly hate the very idea of permanent death.

And it's not for the mechanics/DMs or other players to dictate if one's character wants to sit in paradise while there's work to be done.

I staunchly believe anything that strips a character from a player leads to worse RP.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
metaquad4

Unread post by metaquad4 »

There is no need to change the mechanic, really. If you want to impose limitations on yourself further than what the minimum bar is (aka the game mechanics), you are free to do so. That is what RP is all about. Self-imposed limitations. One person's limitations aren't inherently better or worse. They are for the person's own amusement.

For a server like this which is trying to attract a diverse and large audience, the minimum bar (aka the game mechanics) are quite relaxed. This is what is meant by "medium RP server". You can go as hard-core as you want, there is no one stopping you but yourself. If that is truly what will make it more fun for you, you should be able to do it because it is fun.

It generally is character specific, ie "my character can't take these classes" or "my character can't align with this group" or "my character wouldn't use these items", there is no reason why you can't take that further. Be it "my character will die X times before a true death" or whatever. Want to burn a diamond? Do it! Want to RP spell reagents being a thing and gather herbs only to throw them in a trash bin after casting a spell? Go for it. No-one is stopping you if that is what you consider fun. Do you find perma-death fun? Cool, delete your character when it dies. Have fun with what you say you have fun with!

You shouldn't be worried about "other players having a leg up over you", because that is the nature of RP. Other players WILL have a leg up over you, RP isn't an even playing ground (and it never was intended to be). RP is all about those self-imposed limitations. Other people won't have the same ones as you, in any system. Some will have less, others more. That, and it isn't a real competitive environment. Even PvP isn't competitive. Some people's IRL egos get in the way, but that is a problem of not being able to separate OOC from IC (#1 rule of all RP). I've lost PvP and had some really great RP due to losing, for example. Worrying about what other people can do better than you is a competitive mindset and it needs to go for healthy RP to proceed.

Do what is fun for you. But don't expect everyone else to enjoy your particular brand of fun. This goes for Ressurection/Raise Dead. This is a case where you can just "practise what you preach" and achieve the same result. If you need the game to force you to do it, you didn't even want it in the first place.
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).

Return to “Mechanics”