Craft Wand / Scribe Scroll

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

RedLancer

Craft Wand / Scribe Scroll

Unread post by RedLancer »

BGtSCC Wiki wrote:You can create a wand of any spell of 4th level or less that you know. To create a wand, cast an appropriate spell on a bone wand in your inventory. Creating a wand costs gold pieces based on the relative power of the spell. Wands containing first level spells can cost a few thousand gold pieces while those made with higher level spells can cost tens of thousands. Warlock invocations cannot be used in the creation of wands. Newly crafted wands have 50 charges.
SRD wrote:The character can create a wand of any spell of 4th level or lower that the character knows. Crafting a wand takes 1 day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. The base price of a wand is its caster level multiplied by the spell level multiplied by 750 gp. To craft a wand, the character must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing half of this base price.
The descriptions are in sync, but in game, you can craft a wand (or a scroll) using a spell cast from another wand or scroll. I'd like to see this revised so that your character actually has to cast the spell from the spell book to craft a wand or scroll. What we have now allows anyone with Craft Wand / Scribe Scroll to create items from spell books they don't have, which seems to be not the point.
Ewe

Re: Craft Wand / Scribe Scroll

Unread post by Ewe »

The implementation in-game does not match the requirement text. However, this is a base game issue as well (e.g. an Obsidian mistake).

I would suggest updating the tlk file to state that you don't need to know the spell (any source of a spell can be used to craft) in order to match the actual implementation.

Otherwise, update the implementation to match the requirement text. However, players who can suddenly no longer craft certain items, or the wand crafting meta changing to require multiple wand mule alts, etc. would cause a cascade of balance concerns that a game designer is needed for proper consult before blindly making the implementation match the requirement text.

Either way, this would seem like a bug to me that should be addressed at some level. Whether it's a text change or actual implementation change, I'm not sure.
AKA Dae-Glyth
Discord: Dae-Glyth#1759
Endelyon

Unread post by Endelyon »

I have some plans to overhaul Craft Wand. You will be able to create variable CL wands (a bit like our scroll system) and you will not be able to create a wand from an item or scroll anymore. Please look forward to it.
Darkcloud777

Unread post by Darkcloud777 »

If you guys change the wand crafting system I would like to be able to have a full rcr as my wand maker has a UMD of 30 in order to validate her ability to craft any type of wand. I could put those skill points to good use elsewhere if that is the case.
Terri Lalani
Administrator of Phoenix Company

Return to “Mechanics”