More Skill Points

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Mallore

Re: More Skill Points

Unread post by Mallore »

There is no longer a bug with skills over 100. There was but that was solved ways back.

You cannot hit above 94 with out spells in hide spot and so forth.

Once again the epic feats would allow players to chose not to use magic. Which is a fair thing to do.

Yes I get an epic spotter will be better if they chose the skill feat. Can they afford the feat in their build? That is player choice. As would be the hide character. Let them chose to spend or not.

Simply the feats where designed to counter the spells and the instant 20 roll all spotting characters get. Yes. The engine works to the advantage of the spotter.

Once again no harm in most of these skills. Saying “well what does it benefit” is the very reason to not have it barred.

I suspect the only reason in these cases has been pvp which is not a reason to keep the skills locked as has been stated balancing for pvp is not a thing the server considers.

Really. Let’s allow some none Gish stuff in this game already. It would primarily boost non magic sorts.

Be nice to see more epic abilities then just more spells.
Jane of Here and There (Jane Price)

...also

Jennifer and A Drow.
Mallore

Unread post by Mallore »

Epic Slight of Hand
epic Disable Device
epic open locks
epic Disguise.
Epic intimidate

Epic Bluff??? I do question but in pure pve thought does it really over power for the cost of a feat? Or become a cool option making more build options.

Few others worth saying to

Epic hide and ms are musts as well.
Jane of Here and There (Jane Price)

...also

Jennifer and A Drow.
GholaMan

Unread post by GholaMan »

more skill points! Yes! It will make a larger variety of builds and make the ones already around more interesting.
Kaeldre

Unread post by Kaeldre »

I agree with Blackman on this topic. It would only make it necessary for rogues to invest 2 more epic feats in order to avoid detection. While spotters/listeners would need to invest a single epic feat to be on par. The actual detection rate wouldn't change, instead we're starving rogues on epic feats. Personally, I do not see this warranted.

That said, I do believe skills such as:
- Lore
- Set Trap
- Disable Device
- Open Lock
- Escape Artist
- Intimidate
- Taunt
- Craft Armor
- Craft Weapon
- Craft Alchemy
- Craft Trap
- Diplomacy
- Parry
- Search
- Sleight of Hand
- Survival
Should be considered. Overall, I like the idea of expanding epic skill focus for a selection of skills. Lets leave out the debatable ones for now. Perhaps something along the lines of the list above could work.
Lilith, The Sorceress
"To be united by hatred is a fragile alliance at best"

Jhael, The Betrayer
"To believe in an ideal is to be willing to betray it"

J'hannis, The Devout
"To embrace apathy is to be marked by death"
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

The topic was about more skillpoints in general, as the (custom) skill requirements for PRCs make it very difficult for skillpoint starved classes to qualify at all.
It's not about epic skill focus feats.
Blackman D
Retired Staff

Unread post by Blackman D »

and to that point which has been brought up i can agree

there are simply too many skills and DCs are not like pnp but a flat increase does not help the situation
everyone is evil till proven otherwise
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Other options:

1. Ask for Hard Caps on DCs (the DM Guide gives guidance on DCs). If DCs are set low, then the relative ease to succeed when a Character specializes, reduces the need to challenge power creep.
2. Consider DM Golem's post regarding Knowledge Checks. Because perhaps you PC really doesn't need Epic Skills in order to succeed, especially in the Social/Knowledge realm.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
CrystalDragon

Unread post by CrystalDragon »

Saying 'invest in more int' is like telling a wizard 'invest in more strength', you can do it, but it's at the expense of the things you should actually be good at.

As a wizard I try to stay pretty balanced, usually it comes out to something like str 11, dex 14, con 14, int 17, wis 10, cha 10. This gives me HP, a bit of ac and ab with ranged weapons, and gives me a fair amount of my main casting stat (this is of course if I'm playing a human). The only options here are reduce my ac and hit, my HP, my main stat, or take a dump stat. I'm opposed to dump stating, it's not really my thing. So yes, I could 'invest in more strength' but it'd be detrimental to my main abilities.

This is going to be the same for almost any build that doesn't have Int as it's main stat. "Invest in more Int" is a great answer, until you actually try to do it and be effective at your main ability set.
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

My character Tialysana is an arcane archer. Her stat requirements are a bit of strength for mighty and dex for ab. I decided to get 16 int on a moon elf because i wanted more skills. I could have started with 18 dex and 14 int instead of 16 in both. It would be mechanically better. But i wanted skills. So i prioritised.

Why is this viable to me and not others?
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Obahzk Elf-Skinner, Blackguard of Gruumsh and orcish war drummer

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

The severity on this game is like if you pick Sorcerer/Sorcessess over for a wizard/wizardess you play on hell Level.Wizardrey is more a RP class you get more skills you get more langauge and you can to lean more spells that one is more on novice the severity if you pick sorcery you play on high level couse it is more limite it go slow to become lvl 30 and not many skills point,langauge and spell get the picture? not all class get more or a lass you have to sacrifice some Dc or Attack or something to get more skills point so now lock this Post you will not alow more skills it will be over power on this server now fix those thing that is broken

Return to “Mechanics”