Request Player Feedback/Discussion: Deleveling on Death

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

As a player, what do you personally think about being able to de-level by dying?

It would be better than the current system
22%
Both systems have merit
20%
It would be worse than the current system
42%
I would quit BGTSCC if dying could de-level my PCs
16%

Total votes: 64

EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Re: Request Player Feedback/Discussion: Deleveling on Death

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

selhan wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:08 am LOL- Im still waiting for the damn caravan bug to get fix and we talking of losing levels for dying? lol

*raises hand and gives a gesture of a calm down manner* Lets focus on things that do need fixing hmm? Instead of things that dont need fixing. :snooty:
Caravan fix and mechanical change of death penalty are totally different parts of server and are held by different people.
Caravan not sending to BG is an error that is already fixed by builders, but it waits split to be fixed on live server, since making update to fix few minor bugs is a tedious process and it's better to combine it with other big changes (split itself). Also, since many areas are reintroduced, those transition points are already marked to these new areas, thus, fixing something now that will eventually be totally remade in nearest future is waste of time.

Meanwhile, xp/level penalty for death, is dev stuff since only they can check if that's even doable and if that require tons of coding/deciphering original game code (which, i hope, is not blackboxed).

So, your point is a bit wrong since things you mentioned are not related to each other directly.
FallingStar

Unread post by FallingStar »

Losing a level due to some dumb mistake in the clunky mess of NwN2's terrible combat mechanics would likely drive me away, especially because I generally just RP that inane stuff as a temporary loss of consciousness. The mindless grind should have no bearing.

That's not including DM events and such. I've had event-related deaths where I've RPed the physical and mental strains for weeks. Ultimately, that's up to me, the player of my character, to determine the appropriate response to a significant event.

Key word is "significant". Mindless grinding derps are not significant.

I'd seriously consider walking away for good.
Justicia ex umbra.
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

The biggest takeaway here is that I need to be very careful with topic names.
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

Yeah. Keep in mind, this isn't 'die and lose a level'. This is, 'die and lose the normal amount for your level, which can delevel if you're still just recently into your new level'. If such a change went in (which it probably won't at this point), you'd not be losing any more exp than you do already.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
Lux

Unread post by Lux »

Whether a change is made to allow for deleveling or if it's left as it is, treating death as more of a knock-out effect outside of DM events sounds like a good way to raise the roleplaying quality of both death and resurrections. Raise Dead scrolls could be renamed and get a new description to reflect it, like Smelling Salts for example.

While I like the idea of a temporary debuff after death, I can see it causing frustration for the reasons raised by Almarea90 about trying to implement PnP workings on a laggy and largely automated video game. One solution could be to make it voluntary, something that players who feel committed can add to themselves, and that DMs could also grant. That would add its value for those who want it and spare those who don't.
What we see depends mainly on what we look for
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

Another server I was on had smelling salts, which I thought was a better way to treat some of this.
Eroica Hersbrucker, dungeon scout and hired blade

Helpful references:
Complete arcane spell list.

Return to “Mechanics”