Throwing weapons

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Wyatt
Forum Moderator

Throwing weapons

Unread post by Wyatt »

This may be an odd request. Has anyone given any thought to thrown weapons and perhaps adding some unlimited ammo versions like the other ranged weapons have? I've been having some issues trying to play my thrower as it is costing me about 20-30k gold for an few hours of combat/events/whatever. Since building a brutal thrower sort of pigeon holes you into thrown weapons and there is "launcher" so you could still have a decent AB without the bonus dmg of ammo like a bow or xbow (or slinger) could, it'd be a nice change. Also, it'd be nice to be able to get decent thrown weapons somewhere besides the middle of the city. Aside from that the immersion of carrying around 7500 axes...

Just some thoughts.

Respectfully,

Fox
*Yellow text means the marshall is in town*

Characters:
The Copper Fox - Scoundrel and Sailor, in that order.
Ol' Ran'll Cobb
Kellan Armstrong - Deacon of Lathander
MrSmith
Recognized Donor

Re: Throwing weapons

Unread post by MrSmith »

Wyatt wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:16 pm Costs... 20-30k gold for a few hours of combat/events/whatever.
[A]ble to get decent thrown weapons somewhere besides the middle of the city.
[T]he immersion of carrying around 7500 axes...
I completely agree with your premise and raise my voice in support of your approach. Granted, it costs a lot of gold to use any ranged weapon and yet that is not the only concern. At least with bullets, you can scout out more than one vendor to find some savings... but for thrown axes, it's Shady's or nothing.

viewtopic.php?p=892720#p892720
artemitavik

Unread post by artemitavik »

Ooh, yeah, an "Throwing Axe of returning" or "Throwing dagger of returning" with some enchantments on them would be amazing sauce, and actually not hard to rig up lore wise per the 3.5 DM guide.
Derik "Crimson Bulwark" Ranloss: Thugging for GREAT JUSTICE!!! (yes, I know he doesn't wear red)
Headmaster:Bladestone Foundation.
Owner:The Last Anchor

Braithreachas Leomhainn
"My purpose is to shed blood for those who can't, and to bleed for those who shouldn't."
Blackman D
Retired Staff

Unread post by Blackman D »

its not that anyone is against it, if i remember right there were mechanical issues with thrown weapons being unlimited which is why they are, or should be, all stackable to reduce space

"ammo" weapons are different because its a property set on the base item (launcher), not the ammo itself
everyone is evil till proven otherwise
Kitunenotsume

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

The means I have seen such restrictions overcome elsewhere is having an item (such as, lets say a handaxe), with a scripted property that creates a stack of thrown weapons with the same properties and the "plot" tag (so they can't be sold or traded).

Can such items be abused by someone creating a bunch of thrown weapon stacks and trading the base item? sure. Would it be a big enough problem to invalidate the solution? depends on the community.
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.
artemitavik

Unread post by artemitavik »

Sigil has a thing where you create stacks of 500 off a base object, so they are "unlimited" once you have the base object (they have the same enchantments as the spawner) but the only thing you can sell for profit is the base object, the items themselves are "useless" and I believe set to No Trade so you can't give them to anyone.

It's super convenient.
Derik "Crimson Bulwark" Ranloss: Thugging for GREAT JUSTICE!!! (yes, I know he doesn't wear red)
Headmaster:Bladestone Foundation.
Owner:The Last Anchor

Braithreachas Leomhainn
"My purpose is to shed blood for those who can't, and to bleed for those who shouldn't."
Wyatt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Wyatt »

It certainly would be nice to have. I'd pay fairly big money for an unlimited version of some of the epic throwing axes. Of course you'd have to have several types to deal with damage immunities etc but it'd still be amazing to not have to carry around 12 stacks of 500 axes in my inventory. (which might last one login)
*Yellow text means the marshall is in town*

Characters:
The Copper Fox - Scoundrel and Sailor, in that order.
Ol' Ran'll Cobb
Kellan Armstrong - Deacon of Lathander

Return to “Mechanics”