Spellcasting when Crafting

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

zhazz

Spellcasting when Crafting

Unread post by zhazz »

Are the spell castings when crafting scrolls / wands / elixirs considered actual spell castings, or are they a byproduct of how the crafting system works?

Considering spell casting is outlawed in Baldur's Gate this is an important distinction to make.
Adrian Baker - An innocent virtuoso (bio | journal)
Relyth Ravan'Thala - Bear of an Elf
Timothy Daleson - Paladin Wand Maker
Duncan Matsirani - A wanderer
Kitunenotsume

Re: Spellcasting when Crafting

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

To create any of those items, from what I can see in SRD:
The act of [writing/brewing/working on the wand] triggers the prepared spell, making it unavailable for casting until the character has rested and regained spells. (That is, that spell slot is expended from her currently prepared spells, just as if it had been cast.)
So it is expended "Just as if it had been cast", which isn't explicitly being cast, but (on BGTSCC) currently is definitely affected by wild-magic as though it was a cast.
I'm currently leaning on the interpretation "Crafting-casts trigger wild magic, and are probably treated like any other source of Wild Magic" - since the intent of the law isn't banning casting for the sake of it, the law is trying to reduce wild-magic dangers.
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.

Return to “Mechanics”