Half-drow

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Motajuana

Half-drow

Unread post by Motajuana »

If you choose to be a half-drow then you are an underdark character, which forces your backstory to be some form of slavery.. Fine, slowly getting over that. However.. My chaotic good Eilistraee'an ex-slave is forced to do slave killing, Lolth idol fetching, and body collecting for necromancer type quests.. and that's all that's available to him even after managing to FINALLY scrape his way to the surface. I know, I know, drow.. I did however, walk through the city.. let right in after being looked over by the guards, and spent money at the shops, but no one wants a half-drow to help save them? (Quest givers refuse to talk to UD characters) I doubt a gray haired half-elf by appearance is more threatening than say.. a half-orc?
GholaMan

Re: Half-drow

Unread post by GholaMan »

What exactly is the suggestion?
Motajuana

No suggestion.. was trying for the discussion part I guess. I, as a lowly player, have no idea just what CAN be done about it but thanks for asking. Just trying to find a reason to keep playing this character.
Motajuana

I tried to make a half assed interesting character and keep getting screwed by limitations that I don't understand the reason for. If a half-elf (shunned by everyone also) can get the quests then why can't my character? I have no incentive to play this character at all and as my first on this server (and as such the first RP relationships I've made which will be wasted when this character stagnates inevitably) it's almost turned me off the server entirely.
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

Half-Drow are considered full drow for all intents and purposes by surface polities, especially so in Baldur's Gate, where they are not allowed to roam freely.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=42477
- The Orcs, the Drow Elves and the Fiends, wicked and evil by nature, are hereby banned from Duchal lands. Any citizens of Baldur's Gate that are found to be aiding and abetting the presence of such creatures upon Duchal lands, unless officially sanctioned to do so by the Grand Dukes of Baldur's Gate, are committing treason, punishable by any punishment as the circumstances allow, up to and including a sentence of death. The consorting provision of this law only applies to individual beings, and their actions will not be taken as being the acts of any organizations or polities they are part of. The definition of consorting will be up to the discretion of Baldurian magistrates of the law on a case by case basis. The consorting provision of this law is only for offenses that took place on or after the 29th day of Hammer, 1355 DR. The consorting provision may be revised in the near future depending on issues with implementation and political status.
So NPCs should not be talking to you, and you shouldnt be in the city itself without a DM present else you are likely metagaming guards and NPC reactions. But thats a DM matter.

A half-elf (distinct from a half-drow) can get quests because they aren't legally barred from being there, and they're a surface character.

I would also note that DMs have ruled that Half-Drow must have their standard in character appearance depicted at character creation and thereafter with dusky skin and silver or white hair, with a broad range of eye colors allowed, per DM Team interpretation of Forgotten Realms lore on the topic. I dont know what yours looks like, but thought id make sure you were aware.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

Soubar's quests may now work for UD races? I am not sure what was decided on that. Getting XP for spawns and loot being available is only a very recent change.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
Motajuana

Planehopper wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:08 am Soubar's quests may now work for UD races? I am not sure what was decided on that. Getting XP for spawns and loot being available is only a very recent change.
Yes, they do. My "good" character has done a few shady jobs for them as well. Including one where I had to "get rid" of a rival merchant. Kind of hated doing it, but a 750xp boost instead of slogging for 33xp every time I manage to kill something made it worth it I guess.
Motajuana

Planehopper wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:05 am Half-Drow are considered full drow for all intents and purposes by surface polities, especially so in Baldur's Gate, where they are not allowed to roam freely.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=42477
- The Orcs, the Drow Elves and the Fiends, wicked and evil by nature, are hereby banned from Duchal lands. Any citizens of Baldur's Gate that are found to be aiding and abetting the presence of such creatures upon Duchal lands, unless officially sanctioned to do so by the Grand Dukes of Baldur's Gate, are committing treason, punishable by any punishment as the circumstances allow, up to and including a sentence of death. The consorting provision of this law only applies to individual beings, and their actions will not be taken as being the acts of any organizations or polities they are part of. The definition of consorting will be up to the discretion of Baldurian magistrates of the law on a case by case basis. The consorting provision of this law is only for offenses that took place on or after the 29th day of Hammer, 1355 DR. The consorting provision may be revised in the near future depending on issues with implementation and political status.
So NPCs should not be talking to you, and you shouldnt be in the city itself without a DM present else you are likely metagaming guards and NPC reactions. But thats a DM matter.

A half-elf (distinct from a half-drow) can get quests because they aren't legally barred from being there, and they're a surface character.

I would also note that DMs have ruled that Half-Drow must have their standard in character appearance depicted at character creation and thereafter with dusky skin and silver or white hair, with a broad range of eye colors allowed, per DM Team interpretation of Forgotten Realms lore on the topic. I dont know what yours looks like, but thought id make sure you were aware.
I kind of figured this would be the answer I'd get. The same one I keep getting. Sorry for wasting everyone's time including my own.
GholaMan

Unread post by GholaMan »

Its custom lore from the server to ban half-drow from baldurs gate, also its important to note that the thread of the laws of the land has varying laws at all the differant cities within the server. Other places such as amn which includes beregost and nashskel have their own laws because its a separate country. Same thing with Soubar, roaringshore, corm orp, greennest, doron amar, winding waters. Although Beregost and Nashkel are both part of amn they both have slightly differant laws, beregost actually has a harsher stance concerning races than canonical Amnian laws. The only place that through RP specifically targeted half-drow to be treated as drow is baldurs gate, im not counting the elven settlements in this elves have their own stance regarding half-drow seperate from human cities. Despite what others may say, canonical lore regarding half-drow and surfacers is that one most half drow are surfacers and two, surface cities do in fact make a distinction between a half-drow and a drow they just are not treated the same. So no you didn't waste anyone's time, but there are in fact places on the surface your half-drow can go.

Return to “Mechanics”