Please allow casting "Align Weapon" on party members

Suggestions or Mechanical Requests for Classes, Feats, Races, Etc.

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Hydros

Please allow casting "Align Weapon" on party members

Unread post by Hydros »

On behalf of Hoihe

Summary:

Please allow targeting creatures who are wielding weapons for the level 2 cleric spell, "Align Weapon."

This should be coupled with a script like (Greater) Magic Weapon already is that prevents it from working on creature weapons or bare hands to retain the spirit of "This can be casted on weapons".

Justification:

Align Weapon can already be used to buff party members' weapons by trading said weapon, casting it on the icon inside your inventory and giving it back to your party members.

For low level clerics, or builds with low cleric cl - this becomes unwieldy. There is a high risk of combat occurring while you are trading weapons before a big fight, which subsequently risks Barter related bugs from cropping up. High cl clerics can circumvent it by just casting it Extended at start of the dungeon.

This change would encourage increased party play without introducing power creep as
A) The spell is wandable
B) There are better alternatives to wand (Holy Weapon)
C) It's already doable, but with elevated risk of barter bugs.

Potential caveats:

This spell explicitly works on ranged weapons as well - namely, ammunition. Per description, it allows for 50 shots' worth of Aligned ammunition.

I am uncertain if that functionality can be coded by cannibalizing Magic Weapon code. However, as ammunition is not as valuable as weapons - being restricted to trading said ammunition for empower your party archer for the boss fight is less of a issue. To note - I am uncertain if the 50 ammunition limit is respected.

Likewise, I am unsure if it can be made to work on gloves using the Magic Weapon code.

P&P version of the spell:

https://dndtools.net/spells/players-han ... pon--2773/

Wikipage: https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title=Align_Weapon
Alarielle Nulei'ren, The Hawk of Evermeet - "Shunti tel'adar's dath nha teague feer, nhel nu nesh ath tel'quiet foqal"
izzul

Re: Please allow casting "Align Weapon" on party members

Unread post by izzul »

DM Ghost wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:19 pm I don't see why not. SRD confirms too.

Make it so!
wand able right? i used to have to drink potions of it. wand can have higher charges and does not take lots of inventory space.
Azzizuleia Tyrielmrande-[Permadeath PC]
Eilondruil Eldanyar-Corellon Larethian[Battle Historian]
Iz Azul-Red Knight[Active]
Krueger-Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617
Mystera Electra-Mystra[Goat Girl]

"give to yourself, took from others-Integrity and Justice"
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Bumping this.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

bump
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

Crazy thing is, there's already code to make this happen! (Mostly. I had to finetune the weapon grabbing a bit so it would pick up gloves; there's no prohibition against buffing gloves right now, but you have to target the gloves directly for it to work.) It's probably just not configured correctly in the 2DA.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk

Return to “Mechanics”