Suggestion: Make quests doable daily...

Suggestions for Improving Existing Quests, Ideas for Future Quests

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

V'rass

Re: Suggestion: Make quests doable daily...

Unread post by V'rass »

Wyatt enters with lariat in hand, casts it out and wrangles this post out of the thread.
Last edited by Wyatt on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unrelated to the topic of the thread - Wyatt
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
Tekill
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tekill »

The sheriff enters and kindly shoos this post out of the saloon.
Last edited by Wyatt on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
Young Werther

Unread post by Young Werther »

With spurs clinking the sheriff sends this message on its way with huff of his moustaches.
Last edited by Wyatt on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lockonnow wrote:greatest fear like the movie Hellraiser they show you what you most fear and take a Image of IT
Ambaryerno

Unread post by Ambaryerno »

How about a compromise:

Some minor quests can be repeated daily (IE, the dock deliveries, maybe even randomize who you have to make deliveries to) while others are on a weekly schedule.
Julia "la Belle" - Duelist, singer, and shameless flirt. Currently deciding whether she wants to fight you or @$%& you.
Julia's Songbook

Lucia Kayla - If her parents find out she left the Island she'll likely be grounded until she's 500.
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

Wyatt enters, broom in hand, and sweeps this post out the door and into the tumbleweed filled street.
Last edited by Wyatt on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
V'rass

Unread post by V'rass »

Not sure why everyone is going crazy, sheesh... :? Btw i would accept such a compromise should the dms decide having all quests would be op. Better then nothing at all... we will have to see what the admins think, the ball is in their court now.
Last edited by V'rass on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
Eclypticon

Unread post by Eclypticon »

I made a suggestion for one time quests for noobs that grant a great deal of XP. I still think it is a good idea; but, a repeatable quest that can be done every day up to a point may be a good compromise.

Allowing daily quest in general may become an issue as players could level much much faster and DM's may have an issue keeping up. Running a DM event when the level curves are altered in a big way can be difficult and frustrating for everyone involved.

In my opinion, we aught to do something to increase XP gains overall, but we would want to do that in a more conservative manner. OP, your idea speaks to this issue that we may want to address at some point. Thanks for sharing.
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

maybe something like a quest that boundless. it gives out very minimal xp but makes sense to be reapeatable.. like killing rats in the sewers or collecting a specific plant in the tradeway. maybe it can switch up from month to month.
in addition to the small xp reward the PC can receive a token that represents the work toward improving the city and you can use un-tradeable tokens to purchase fun things.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
kellendril

Unread post by kellendril »

I won't name names, but please consider editing/deleting your posts if you are being abrasive or abusive in this thread
Eowiel Le'liana - Formerly Respected Councilor/Citizen of Doron Amar, now Disrespected Free Agent
Merry Angalagaleil - Strongheart Halfling Sacred Fist
Wyatt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Wyatt »

I went ahead and edited/removed several of the posts in this thread that had gone off on tangents unrelated to the suggestion at hand.
*Yellow text means the marshall is in town*

Characters:
The Copper Fox - Scoundrel and Sailor, in that order.
Ol' Ran'll Cobb
Kellan Armstrong - Deacon of Lathander
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

personally I would greatly dislike this approach... How is questing 'something to do' that's better than either loot or XP grinding? It's equally mindless and is just giving XP with no risk... Far better IMO is to make the quests one time for XP, but repeatable for rewards and just give players the weekly bonus XP that's given out as you play for things like RP or kills (ie. you get double XP from kills and RP until your weekly 'bank' of XP is emptied, then you get standard XP). This way you can solo grind if you want, or you can adventure as a group or campfire RP or do quests for gold/healing potions and still gain extra XP doing what you want to do, instead of repeating the same quests 100's of times (though you can still do that, if you want).
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
NegInfinity

Unread post by NegInfinity »

Calodan wrote:This would at least allow me to commit a good month to getting a PC to 30 from 15 now.
You'll go nuts, it is pretty much guaranteed.

I think if anyone doesn't like the idea as is, it could be implemented with weekly cap on quest xp. Meaning you could keep doing the same thing every day, but the total amount you'll get will be the same.

Or we could just scrap quests completley and introduce weekly xp stipend as I proposed in the past.
Last edited by NegInfinity on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

NegInfinity wrote:
Calodan wrote:This would at least allow me to commit a good month to getting a PC to 30 from 15 now.

I think if anyone doesn't like the idea as is, it could be implemented with weekly cap on quest xp. Meaning you could keep doing the same thing every day, but the total amount you'll get will be the same.

Or we could just scrap quests completley and introduce weekly xp stipend as I proposed in the past.
yes please!
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
NegInfinity

Unread post by NegInfinity »

chad878262 wrote:
NegInfinity wrote:

yes please!
Here's the previous proposal I mentioned. It was made before forum split, so it is currently in "Bugs" section.

http://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=54387

--------

Another option would be to increase all xp, say, by factor of 4. There would be very little reason to do quests in this case.
Wandering_Woodsman

Unread post by Wandering_Woodsman »

As I've said before, I think some class types have a difficult time hunting on their own. And in some cases, that, plus a lack of time, means that quests are, on occasion, the best way to progress.

So, in that regard, quests, while not truly necessary, are very, very helpful.
"Now see, that's good information there. For a second, I thought you'd just met a chicken god."

Toman Ironarm
- Blacksmith of the Phoenix Company

You know, only on the Coast would that have needed to be said. :?

Return to “Quests”