Dispel Magic on Entering Friendly Arm Inn (crossing bridge)

Suggestions That Have Been Implemented or Will Not Be Implemented at This Time

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

niapet

Re: Dispel Magic on Entering Friendly Arm Inn (crossing brid

Unread post by niapet »

Steve wrote:Hello
How about this: when the Helmet check is done at the drawbridge, instead, there is an NPC dialogue that asks/prompts your Toon, in-character, that they enter the FAI and thus, must dispel their magics.

That would fall in-line with:
At the Friendly Arm Inn, peace was secured by the guards, who insisted that all weapons be left at the gate and that all wizards and clerics tie one thumb to their belts, a practice that spilled over to fighting monks as well.
And, most importantly, it would hopefully end the running around the FAI courtyard keyed up like a Christmas Tree with a Planar with WEAPON OUT, in tow.

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please?
I like the idea of removing the xmass tree but the way to do it is give us the option to turn off the visual effect. If this were implemented, I personally just would not go inside the FAI anymore, as I am sure many other casters that need to wait 20 min to rest would likewise.

I hate looking like a xmass tree but I need to; tis fact of life as a caster. I'd love to have the option to turn off the visual effects for all my wards.
Elspeth Silverleaf "Is a thing good because the gods say it is so? Or is there objective good in the universe?"
Cherry Thistleknot "Cherry, like the tree, Druids like trees"
Sapper Woody
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Sapper Woody »

I am actually finding this thread ironic. While I, too, hate to see people run into the FAI fully warded, this thread is in direct opposition to the other threads on magic use. Most people who use wards do not have a large carry weight. Meaning they're going to have to stop at the FAI to sell before heading on.

With this implemented, it means more resting and rebuffing (granted, it happens already, but this would force it to happen) which directly opposes the idea of the other threads, saying that magic should be used more sparingly. Or that the rest timer should change. Things of that nature.

This is one of those "have your cake and eat it, too" type of scenarios. Either be ok with people dispelling themselves, resting, and re-warding; or be ok with them conserving their magic by staying warded.

Now, if the idea of components was ever implemented, this would be a double slap in the face. "You have to pay to cast spells, but now you have to cast them twice."

That all being said, I'm all for the idea in this thread. As long as the other threads in opposition to this one are cast aside completely.
Reineke Villame
Biography

Huego Bellecovum
Journal
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Sapper Woody wrote:I am actually finding this thread ironic. While I, too, hate to see people run into the FAI fully warded, this thread is in direct opposition to the other threads on magic use. Most people who use wards do not have a large carry weight. Meaning they're going to have to stop at the FAI to sell before heading on.

With this implemented, it means more resting and rebuffing (granted, it happens already, but this would force it to happen) which directly opposes the idea of the other threads, saying that magic should be used more sparingly. Or that the rest timer should change. Things of that nature.

This is one of those "have your cake and eat it, too" type of scenarios. Either be ok with people dispelling themselves, resting, and re-warding; or be ok with them conserving their magic by staying warded.

Now, if the idea of components was ever implemented, this would be a double slap in the face. "You have to pay to cast spells, but now you have to cast them twice."

That all being said, I'm all for the idea in this thread. As long as the other threads in opposition to this one are cast aside completely.

Reimplement the 2011/2012 Rising Phoenix Inn code.

Sure, you get dispelled entering FAI. But if you actually go inside the building and buy a room key and walk inside a designated area (say, the room or near the fire place), you get to rest as many times as you have a room key in your inventory, which is removed on leaving the inn.

Make it cost like 10gp, like it was in the original implementation.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

I would be fine with making resting in all inns zero rest timer... But then my preference would be to make the rest timer 2 minutes/level, 60 minutes at 30 too, so it kind of goes hand in hand for me. Especially with hour increased on the server to = 15 minutes, hour per level spells might as well be permanent, so really only minute per level spells are a consideration, but at level 30 the rest timer resets after 22.5 minutes. So when your minute/level spells expire, you can rest again. Making rest timer 60 minutes would mean extended minute/level (or memorizing 2) is required if you want to stay out in the wilds for longer periods of time. This would in turn make staying at an inn somewhere along the way encouraged, since you would not have to wait on the 60 minute timer to reset.

Of course I realize many already have an issue with spell economy so this is not a popular position and won't likely happen, but it's still a good compromise in my opinion.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

chad878262 wrote:I would be fine with making resting in all inns zero rest timer... But then my preference would be to make the rest timer 2 minutes/level, 60 minutes at 30 too, so it kind of goes hand in hand for me. Especially with hour increased on the server to = 15 minutes, hour per level spells might as well be permanent, so really only minute per level spells are a consideration, but at level 30 the rest timer resets after 22.5 minutes. So when your minute/level spells expire, you can rest again. Making rest timer 60 minutes would mean extended minute/level (or memorizing 2) is required if you want to stay out in the wilds for longer periods of time. This would in turn make staying at an inn somewhere along the way encouraged, since you would not have to wait on the 60 minute timer to reset.

Of course I realize many already have an issue with spell economy so this is not a popular position and won't likely happen, but it's still a good compromise in my opinion.

Forcing people to rest in designated rest areas, or have sufficient Survival (for their level, at a reasonable DC) to rest faster than the auto timer sounds like it could force RP.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
NegInfinity

Unread post by NegInfinity »

Steve wrote:
NegInfinity wrote: because it is OOC that doesn't fit lore.
The Lore that is available is in the OP, which says clearly that no magic and no melee is allowed within the FAI.
The lore does not say that FAI is magic dead zone and/or is overlooked by a beholder that zaps anyone who enters with antimagic beam.

There's a difference between "not allowed" and "impossible".

You're attempting to treat "not allowed" as "impossible", which is godmoding characters.

Honestly, current measures are enough.
Steve wrote:I can live with baby steps in the right direction!
Let's start with hanging bentley, then.
Hoihe wrote: Forcing people to rest in designated rest areas, or have sufficient Survival (for their level, at a reasonable DC) to rest faster than the auto timer sounds like it could force RP.
"Forcing" anyone doesn't work. Put in too many rules, and people decide to simply pull the cable and play elsewhere.

You need to use positive reinforcement instead. As in "this is more fun".
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Look, it is all screwed up. There shouldn't be THIS MANY adventurers on the Sword Coast. There shouldn't be Level 30 demigods turning in dragonhoards of "useless" +3 items to an infinite economy Merchant buyer(s). There shouldn't be some Ao-powered magic prevention force field around the FAI either, like you say.

But there also shouldn't be the daily driver planatar choo choo train express line within the FAI, either!

So what do you prefer? Full on open do what you want even if it fully disregards FR Lore and the basic sense of realism EVEN in a fantasy world? Or maybe, you can put up with a few scripts that hopefully help make Players aware of employing some believability into their actions when IC?

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
niapet

Unread post by niapet »

I'm telling you all if you don't like seeing magic so much the key Iiis all invisible wards. I don't know about others but I even make a point to try and cast my wards out of sight, usually only saving the one s with visual effects until I have to actually fight something.
Elspeth Silverleaf "Is a thing good because the gods say it is so? Or is there objective good in the universe?"
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

So you suggest invisible Summons/Planars as well? And spells like Enlarge should also have no effect? Nor a spell called Stoneskin should be visible?

Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

niapet wrote:I'm telling you all if you don't like seeing magic so much the key Iiis all invisible wards. I don't know about others but I even make a point to try and cast my wards out of sight, usually only saving the one s with visual effects until I have to actually fight something.

One can also Gandalf it up and use magic only when absolutely necessary, but then you need to be a gish or a semi-gish.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

I suggest not being warded all the time instead of invisible wards.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Valefort wrote:I suggest not being warded all the time instead of invisible wards.

Hour/Cl spells alongside the Resistance line make perfect sense to cast on oneself even from an IC perspective. Chances are, you'll be resting by the time they run out.
Sapper Woody
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Sapper Woody »

Valefort wrote:I suggest not being warded all the time instead of invisible wards.
Honestly, that's just bad RP sometimes. My character had a death threat towards him. And he's seen no less than half a dozen people killed at the FAI fire. So he's going to be at least minimally warded while at the FAI fire.

To -not- do so would be horrible RP.
Reineke Villame
Biography

Huego Bellecovum
Journal
niapet

Unread post by niapet »

Sapper Woody wrote:
Honestly, that's just bad RP sometimes. My character had a death threat towards him. And he's seen no less than half a dozen people killed at the FAI fire. So he's going to be at least minimally warded while at the FAI fire.

To -not- do so would be horrible RP.
This^ No Wizard in their right mind would go around without wards. Warriors are in their armor 24/7 and that would be very uncomfortable.
Last edited by niapet on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

You see, Valefort = ^^ ?

PARANOIA RULES THE SERVER!

Return to “Closed Suggestions”