Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Tsidkenu

Re: Improving Utility of Inns

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

My Helmite carries rations on her packhorse and has a canteen. Do you? :P
artemitavik

Unread post by artemitavik »

I have two, as a matter of fact, but that is for RP purposes because I want to.

Requiring someone to carry stuff just to use a base mechanic of the game in a situation where there is little to no practical inventory management is simply making the game harder than it needs to be.

I say practical because honestly, the pack horse, while really cool and offers some neat RP and mobile storage ability, is not a practical situation in any fashion as it gets killed by mid-level things with incredible alacrity if brought into the area and not immediately evacuated when the fighting starts. This makes it great for a mobile pit stop in a safe place like a town, or to carry goods if you're going quick from one area to another, but more or less useless when traveling to pretty much anywhere there is anything any level of hostile. And if you're just going to park it in a town where it's safe to keep it, well then there's no real reason to keep much in the way of incidental adventuring gear on it, as can just go get said rations from said stores in said town.

Your helmite carries rations on her horse and has a canteen. Bravo to you and your RP choice, but that is a FAR cry from literally just forcing everyone to do it just because.
Derik "Crimson Bulwark" Ranloss: Thugging for GREAT JUSTICE!!! (yes, I know he doesn't wear red)
Headmaster:Bladestone Foundation.
Owner:The Last Anchor

Braithreachas Leomhainn
"My purpose is to shed blood for those who can't, and to bleed for those who shouldn't."
Heretic

Unread post by Heretic »

artemitavik wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:16 am 2) give all inn a token that can be bought, only one carried per person, that allows a forced rest outside the timer that doesn't bother with the cooldown. That way, if someone wants to rest before the timer is up, they can do that. I say token, not a key, because some inns/taverns don't have rooms commonly available so much, because it doesn't have them or they're rented out ICly on the long term, such as the Belching Dragon in Nashkel or the Last Anchor respectively. But that could be a reason for people to go inside an inn or tavern.
I personally like the idea of a forced rest token available for purchased, however I would structure it such that players could only purchase them at Inns and use them with the confines of a room within the Inn in addition to purchasing a key. That way players can purchase a key as normal to rest when their cooldown has expired or they can force rest with the purchase of the token (which would be consumed upon completion of rest)
artemitavik

Yes, the idea of the token being that it is consumed upon use and only usable in an inn or tavern, only able to be purchased in said inns and taverns.

The keys for the rooms would in some cases not be functional, such as the Muse or the Anchor which don't have active rooms to rent, so you could in theory rest in the "common room" because you're just hanging out in the Pub studying your spell book or whatever.
Derik "Crimson Bulwark" Ranloss: Thugging for GREAT JUSTICE!!! (yes, I know he doesn't wear red)

Braithreachas Leomhainn
"My purpose is to shed blood for those who can't, and to bleed for those who shouldn't."
DiceyCZ
Quality Control

Unread post by DiceyCZ »

Though to be honest with lvl 30 rest time is some...11-12 minutes? Probably takes longer to get into the Inn.
Niyressa Dawncrow (bio) - Head Magus, Bladestone Foundation
"Magic is Chaos, Art, and Science. It is a curse, a blessing, and progress. It all depends on who uses magic, how they use it, and to what purpose. And magic is everywhere. All around us.” - Yennefer
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Rest timer is 45 sec per lvl so level 30s are on a ~22 min cooldown for that.
Mash

Unread post by Mash »

I can understand the motivation, but don't think the previous suggestions provide a good solution.

Mechanic incentives tied to grinding (rest tokens etc) are likely to become more of a nuisance than anything in the long run. What you need is a motivation to spend time there, or go looking for RP in this specific place instead of the more popular meeting areas like the Farmlands camp.

In my opinion, a meeting hub is desirable. The Farmlands have multiple advantages that have already been mentioned - being a spawn point, accessible to a lot of character archetypes, you can just walk past casually just to see who's there or start travelling in any direction. It's pretty much perfect for meeting someone after you logged in.

However, staying there is a different story. The camp tends to get crowded and after all, staying always in the same place gets boring. So I think it's perfect when people after meeting decide to go and do something else - travelling, adventuring, or going for a drink. Just incorporating in your RP (getting thirsty, having a favourite tavern/hangout place, suggesting to switch locations etc.) already does a lot of that for you.

If you want to get mechanical, there would be a few possibilities that come to my mind:

- Travelling bard/dancer groups (similar to travelling merchants). Possibly with additional features like music wishes, custom songs (similar to custom books, but performed by the bards), etc.
- Random special days for inns (50 % off day, bards/dancers present, rare booze available, card/dice night) + advertising by NSC (town crier, rumours by random NSC)
- Setting home location to any inn, including spawn

Those are just off the top of my head and there's probably improvements or better alternatives, but I think that would be a good direction to shoot for, next to just playing more alcoholics and giving characters a stronger desire for entertainment. :D
Account name: Senshuu

Active characters
Cerys Whitecliff
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

Add the rp xp bonus back in if it was removed

Leave campfires as they are

Guild inns should not get the rp xp bonus due to fairness.

Add stackable temp hp to the inns to encourage resting there before adventure, thus encouraging rp over grinding. Optimistically.....
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
artemitavik

Eh, if you have a guild inn/tavern and the only people who come there are members of your guild, you're doing it so totally wrong. Especially since they're supposed to be there to facilitate RP as much as any inn in an IC manner. These just happen to be owned by players.

But that's my thought.

Braithreachas Leomhainn

Return to “Closed Suggestions”