Talk of Lolthite area before 2018?

For Discussing Plot, Setting, and In Character Developments in an Out of Character Forum

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Moridin
Custom Content

Re: Talk of Lolthite area before 2018?

Unread post by Moridin »

Well, I guess it doesn't hurt to say it but this has been my character's goal since I made her, to build a settlement that Lolthites could worship unmolested in. It has been very hard in the past however to get people to actually work together, and when I did I had nearly 0 interest from the team.

So, I would definitely enjoy Eryndylyn being put into the game.
Characters:
Lomith Dy'nesen Journal
izzul

Unread post by izzul »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:18 pm
Darker_Thought wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:04 pm Is the Eryndlyn Project still alive?
I still have the map. A few things are taking precedence at this time however but this is still in queue.
thank you for the good news
Azzizuleia Tyrielmrande-[Permadeath PC]
Eilondruil Eldanyar-Corellon Larethian[Battle Historian]
Iz Azul-Red Knight[Active]
Krueger-Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617
Mystera Electra-Mystra[Goat Girl]

"give to yourself, took from others-Integrity and Justice"
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Im just gonna blurt it out rudely again: Eryndlyn is not a Llothite only city, in fact religion plays a smaller part in this city. I really hope people do some lore reading before (if we ever get this area) going around with some proclaimed rule over the other inhabitants there.

Still my earlier point stands as well, I think this will only segregate the UD even further and result in conflicts, hopefully only IC.
Shandril Brightmantle
"Life is but a mystery to revel in, let the stars guide you through the mist."
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

Ithilan wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:25 amStill my earlier point stands as well, I think this will only segregate the UD even further and result in conflicts, hopefully only IC.
It is possible, but the UD needs more to it's own merits and reason to exist than to clutch tightly to the surface's apron in order to survive.
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:32 am
Ithilan wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:25 amStill my earlier point stands as well, I think this will only segregate the UD even further and result in conflicts, hopefully only IC.
It is possible, but the UD needs more to it's own merits and reason to exist than to clutch tightly to the surface's apron in order to survive.
I 100% agree with that. I just wanted to point out to the people that think Eryndlyn will be their Llothite haven, that this city is divided in to three major areas, each devoted to a separate deity and following. The city is dominated heavily by trade and merchants though, or at best religious conflicts. It is not a Lloth city, we have none of those in the geographical vicinity of the server really.
Shandril Brightmantle
"Life is but a mystery to revel in, let the stars guide you through the mist."
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
Aspect of Sorrow

I had chosen it for it's diversity, as well as the potential that the raid desiring houses could push against each other than needing to satiate themselves with traveling to the surface.
izzul

Unread post by izzul »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:36 am I had chosen it for it's diversity, as well as the potential that the raid desiring houses could push against each other than needing to satiate themselves with traveling to the surface.
let the drow get busy against each other, they wont have time to abduct surfacer :lol:
Azzizuleia Tyrielmrande-[Permadeath PC]
Eilondruil Eldanyar-Corellon Larethian[Battle Historian]
Iz Azul-Red Knight[Active]
Krueger-Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617
Mystera Electra-Mystra[Goat Girl]

"give to yourself, took from others-Integrity and Justice"
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

izzul wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:19 pmlet the drow get busy against each other, they wont have time to abduct surfacer :lol:

:D That was literally my Underdark experience. My character was so busy maneuvering against his enemies that he never had time to care about the surface.
Glowfire

Unread post by Glowfire »

chambordini wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:41 am All of the above arguments and discussions are actually fairly irrelevant, none of that matters, what matters is getting someone to do the work, if you want to see something specific in the server (if we can accommodate it within the confines of server resources, eg, server not crashing from too mucho memory usage) I'd tell you to apply for area dev but honestly, that's misrepresenting the nature of what you'd be doing, that making an entire city in the toolset with a richly hand crafted feel is somewhere in the few dozen hours to maybe even hundreds of hours of lonely and at at times frustrating toolset work.

Be prepared to be working on the toolset everyday for more than a few days to get it to a state where you can call it finished. Spending less time in game or watching netflix to create whatever it is you envision.

A very thankless process that if you're not super passionate about what you're doing, you'll be quitting on the first time you show a screenshot and someone tells you they don't like it :P
Quoted for truth. :lol:

After playing in the UD for a while, I'm of the firm opinion that the UD should be made into a DM only area and that no drow/strict UD races should be allowed to be created any more and either 1) Everyone gets 100% RCR XP for their UD characters 2) They are 'grandfathered' out and allowed to live on the surface.

This comes mainly from my view of that there just isn't the support on the server from staff to have a functioning Underdark which feels real. Drow cities which are large and political need much more support. Anything involving DMs in the UD is honestly a pain as few DMs want to deal with UD requests (there being so much server lore changes which aren't recorded anywhere doesn't make it easier). I also think that the DM team is short staffed anyway, with the amount of time it takes to get answers to requests etc. While it's possible to do things without DMs, it becomes frustrating after a while when you need attention/reaction to something and it isn't there.

I really can't see what a new city-area would bring. It would need to be built as an exterior area IIRC and those last I knew were not being added at all due to memory issues with too many exterior areas. Not to mention that Sshamath hasn't been built very well. There's areas that are sorely in need of updates and errors here and there which haven't been fixed. Why add another city when the first one isn't of good quality?

Nothing against Lolthites, just to be clear. I've enjoyed playing in the UD and had a lot of good RP there but I can't ignore all the frustrating elements.
Power is the most persuasive rhetoric.
Friedrich von Schiller
Aspect of Sorrow

Why add another city when the first one isn't of good quality?
To replace the first.
Glowfire

Unread post by Glowfire »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:08 pm
Why add another city when the first one isn't of good quality?
To replace the first.
If a forced re-location of UD characters is on the table, then I still think leaving UD to be a DM area is best.
Power is the most persuasive rhetoric.
Friedrich von Schiller
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Glowfire wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:13 pmI still think leaving UD to be a DM area is best.
QFT, even though I have a drow alt and have thoroughly enjoyed all my RP experiences down below (quality over quantity!).
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

I'm currently running a community poll on an unrelated topic, but after that poll is closed I suppose we could run another poll on whether we want to keep the Underdark -- or focus all DEV and DM attention "top-side."

But our position in the past has always been that if there is a significant number of players (even if they're in the firm minority in terms of overall server population) that want to play in the Underdark, we keep the Underdark. Even if only 4, 5, or 6 people are using it on a regular basis, killing it off doesn't represent a significant enough resource "gain" to warrant ruining their fun.
thids

Unread post by thids »

Forced relocation is even worse as an option. You are basically invalidating years of RP for some players, to appease others. Removing it completely at least treats everyone equally.
Lord Maximilian Blackthorne - retired
Aspect of Sorrow

Years of RP at Triel wasn't invalidated at it's removal, among it other areas throughout the module that have long since been gone.

Return to “OOC Discussion (Underdark)”