CLOSED - Remus (that Malarite) ANTI-PVP list and complaints.

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Slunko

CLOSED - Remus (that Malarite) ANTI-PVP list and complaints.

Unread post by Slunko »

CONCLUSION OF THIS TOPIC:
Hidden: show
Thank you for the input. I have heard you all and you were very passionate about what you said. The main thing going forward will be that if there is any conflict-oriented roleplay to be had, I'll whisper the person up front and request if I may approach them and present them with what will most likely be harmful to their character.

As a followup note to this, I will be retiring my character from the actively seeking out pvp encounters. I will most likely stop playing as much of Remus the Malarite, because while I understand that I am disrupting the fantasy many of you wish to build around your characters, such changes also disrupt what I wished to play. I will find other reasons on why Remus no longer hunts on the coast and not simply become "that harmless, polite politically correct malarite". Most likely, the character will simply move towards another hunting ground.

To clarify, I am upset over it all, but it is a normal feeling; to be upset over something not going your way. I will move on from it. It isn't me being angry at any specific player, it is mostly not liking what there is to see, once somebody bursts your bubble and shows you how things really are.

In short, while this kind of a RP is very fun to me, the fun parts were getting less common and the general OOC unhappiness on both sides was more frequent. This topic was a useful indicator that I should stop with what I am doing, mostly because, and I'll be honest here, I'm enraged by the world that so many wish to have, and no game should enrage you. The negatives simply started outweighing the positives, so it is a clear point where one should stop trying to push something that isn't working.

Again, thank you all for your input and strongly voiced opinions. You have been most helpful.

Since I've actively started playing my malarite again, there's been an uproar, the good and the bad kind. I understand that not everyone wishes to be a part of a pvp encounter, and that being torn to bits by a worg upsets you as a player.

I've made this topic as a place where you can come together and voice all of your complaints against me or my character.

You can also leave your player name (the one you use ingame), which I will mark down and will do my utmost to avoid you ingame. You will have little to no worries about the evil that lurks on the server.
[Listed names will be kept privately and will not be shared with anyone else.]

Other clarifications:

Why do I pvp, especially with lower level players?
I enjoy the roleplay of a malarite bestial barbarian. It is as simple as that. I will butcher any mob or player that seems like it could put up a fight, as the character delves deeper into his blood-crazed frenzy until something happens and the RP changes, or he is put down. I am not targeting any specific players, or looking to prove my dominance or skill in pvp combat. I simply feel it would be wrong to meta-game the level information on the scry window and use that to avoid some players and kill others.
I am also a firm believer of that the server should have evil. Actual evil. There is a crazed malarite on the prowl. If I kill a low level player who simply grinds his foresty mobs, it is to create the dread within the characters, as the word spreads, and characters slowly learn that the woods are no longer a safe place.

Do I offer a RP out or break pvp rules?
I do not break the pvp rules, and I do offer the RP out. But I will admit, that perhaps I was not as clear as I could have been. I run around transformed into a Worg, so my roleplay of hostilities is limited, but will generally follow this pattern:
1. I RP hostilities. This is done by emotes of two growling worgs approaching their target,
fur bristling, snouts frothing with saliva, as they get ready to pounce.
2. I toggle the player in question hostile.
3. I wait for the reply.
This could be either the player deciding to take on the wolves and decide to fight via RPing hostilities back, brandishing weapons and moving towards the wolf, or casting spells.
Or the player decides that he would rather not be a part of this, so they are free to take a RP out of their choosing within reason. I never chase anyone who runs as a RP out. You could RP teleporting away or even fainting/pretending to. Hells, I would even accept a very decent handle animal check at this stage of my characters development.
4. If RP out wasn't taken I'll attack. I usually give the phase 3 a good 2 minute time frame.

What am I hoping to get out of it all?
I constantly wish I'd find somebody who is willing to roleplay even in defeat and would be willing to either join me for the follow up roleplay, which would most often include some sort of interrogation, a test of strength, and a way to survive it all.
My hope is that somebody would get out of it (most players get out alive), grow stronger and hunt me down, or perhaps even decide as my character once did, that he will not be prey,
but rather join the hunters.

How often do these pvp encounters take place?
Usually about 2-3 per day. I try to find at least one interesting encounter daily, which offers some RP, but in light of the complaints I am thinking of severely reducing this number.
Last edited by Slunko on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:17 am, edited 8 times in total.
Galean, Rock and Gale Enterprises
Goth Dar'gul Eye of Ruin
Remus the Marauding Malarite
NeOmega

Re: Remus (that Malarite) ANTI-PVP list and complaints.

Unread post by NeOmega »

cool.

i wish they'd just do away with the player power level scry.
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

If you see any of my characters online, you can play your character. I do not require an RP out if you are playing your character.

Usernames:
Reca22 (me)
Krogi (my nephew, he's cool)
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

I don't require a PvP out but for the sake of ensuring even the appearance of exemptions being made please still adhere to the rules.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

Slunko wrote:I've made this topic as a place where you can come together and voice all of your complaints against me or my character.
I love it when players are open like that.

Isnt Dota2 a more appropriate and challenging game for this kind of gameplay?
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

mrm3ntalist wrote:Dota2
I want it's UI at BG.
Slunko

Unread post by Slunko »

mrm3ntalist wrote:
Slunko wrote:I've made this topic as a place where you can come together and voice all of your complaints against me or my character.

I'm not after the challenge, mrm3ntalist, I'm after the malarite roleplay. I am also terrible at Dota2 so my team told me I should uninstall the game. So I did.
Goth Dar'gul Eye of Ruin
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Slunko wrote:
mrm3ntalist wrote:

I'm not after the challenge, mrm3ntalist, I'm after the malarite roleplay. I am also terrible at Dota2 so my team told me I should uninstall the game. So I did.
Does the malarite roleplay mean that you have to attack players on your way? Does it enchance the storytelling in any way? Personally, if you feel that there is need to pvp in order to promote your characters storytelling, then i think that this is very swallow approach.

My opinion is not and my experience says that more often than not, character development that is based on pvp - you made an ooc thread for this - usually dont end well.

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

NeOmega

Unread post by NeOmega »

if theyd turn off the power scry, id open all my characters to no rp out pvp.

but until then i dont feel like being power checked ftw.

and he has to make an ooc announcement, if it was just a char biography, fewer would read it, and this has to do with pvp.

server needs more pvp. more bandits and more bodyguards.

i was going to make thread about it.
it was something like putting PvP yellow at the top of your chars description if you are open to pvp, but not necssarily hostile, (also open to assassination without prior warning), and PvP red if you are open to it, and hostile, (like a bandit), and PvP blue if you are a character aware of wanted criminals. (red PvP would mean you are identifiable as a wanted man, to those who track such things).

and then an update to the rules, to make these official signifiers, to those who want to participate.

i read an old thread where the solution was to transcribe the pvp fan club thread, then open notebook and search for the name before an ncounter. that is clunky.
Last edited by NeOmega on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slunko

Unread post by Slunko »

Yep, mrm3ntalist, it's starting to seem that way. But so far, the good moments outweigh the bad ones. It might stop being seeming that way. At that time I'll scrap the character and the concept.

And yes. Malarite roleplay pretty much means you attack players a lot. Not all of them, clearly, it's mostly limited to all elves. And those who seem to be able to put up a fight. And those who are at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Thank you for the imput, I'll take it to heart. Would you like to leave your playername so I don't harass you ingame with my approach to character development?

Also I support NeOmega's idea.
Goth Dar'gul Eye of Ruin
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Slunko wrote:Yep, mrm3ntalist, it's starting to seem that way. But so far, the good moments outweigh the bad ones. It might stop being seeming that way. At that time I'll scrap the character and the concept.

And yes. Malarite roleplay pretty much means you attack players a lot. Not all of them, clearly, it's mostly limited to all elves. And those who seem to be able to put up a fight. And those who are at the wrong place at the wrong time.
I doubt it means that. At least no more than any other character concept. It seems mostly that this is what you want to focus on.
Thank you for the imput, I'll take it to heart. Would you like to leave your playername so I don't harass you ingame with my approach to character development?
Nope

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

I think it is an all-around good idea...if there are agreements between the Players how their Characters can actually die from the violence they inflict upon each other.

Otherwise, I think PvP is essentially a hollow action that is only about causing frustration. Anyway, that is just my thinking on the subject. If everyone involved is enjoying the action/idea, then carry on.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
TarnishedSoul
Retired Staff

Unread post by TarnishedSoul »

It may be little more than sheer coincidence, but you appeared to log off within a minute after a group of armed, warded PCs from Candlekeep arrived at The Lion's Way shortly after they were contacted with a report that Remus was prowling near the lighthouse.

It is my sincere hope that the timing only seemed suspicious and that you're fully willing to accept the consequences for your IC actions.
NeOmega

Unread post by NeOmega »

Slunko wrote:
Also I support NeOmega's idea.
ill expound and post a new thread
Flasmix
Associate DM

Unread post by Flasmix »

As someone who played a Malarite and knew others who did, I'm taking my DM Hat off here to speak about my experience;

None of them, including myself, based our existence around hunting PCs. In fact, we were planning a movement around Soubar to have Malarites be accepted. You know about the High Hunt, I presume? The holy day once per season where a sentient creature is hunted at night... Well, we had wanted to get willing participants to be hunted. Those who believed they were strong enough to survive a night against a pack of Malarites hunting them and if they survived, they'd be rewarded.

Even if you want to seek 'strong opponents' don't you find it odd that most complaints are coming out of lowbie areas like the Cloakwood or Sharpteeth Forest? Hell, why is it even PCs being hunted and not NPCs? That makes it look like a deliberate attempt to get into PvP with little to no RP other than 'I follow a God'. You don't see Bhaalist PCs just murdering people for Bhaal's sake.

To cut to the chase, Malarite RP can be a rewarding and amazing opportunity to discuss philosophy and evolution. Only the strongest are worthy of survival. I got out of it because it was very lonely, I got tired of being the only one and there were the rare few who would just PvP bait for fun and ruin it for those of us trying to RP it out.
Wirg to Pug: "Iz lat dun?"
Pugratix to a snarky militia man: "Mmmm. Not yet. I will live for hundreds of years and be heralded as one of the greatest forces of destruction on the face of the world. The only thing you can destroy is the outhouse."

Return to “OOC Discussion (Surface)”