Orphanage and Orphans of Baldur's Gate (Player/DM IC RP)

The "Year of the Dragon" Campaign
DM Arrakeen
Retired Staff

Re: Orphanage and Orphans of Baldur's Gate (Player/DM IC RP)

Unread post by DM Arrakeen »

Ariella wrote:The Archmage Teharissa Vennelis makes her way to the orphanage leaving a letter for Revered Sister Juna.

"Dear Revered Sister Juna,

I write to you today to speak about the education of the orphans within your care. I represent Bluesummer Academy a school currently being built in the gate to teach the arcane, bardic and mundane. Now while the school its self typically focus's on older students Brother Ameris has said you are lacking in education for the mass of Orphans.

To rectify this we would like to organize some free regular classes for the orphans closer to coming of age, As well as scholarships for those who have expressed a great interest in learning. At this time we can cover the learning expenses of up to eight students for three year courses, If the students are also willing to work for bluesummer academy in their spare time we will offer money to help with food and housing as well. We hope to improve this number considerably in the future but it is dependent on backers supporting the academy.

Let me know what you think

Archmage Teharissa Vennelis, High Magus of Bluesummer academy. "
A letter for miss Vennelis is left at the Pathfinder Hall with instructions for Ameris to pass it to the woman in question.
Miss Vennelis,

You have not left a returning address, therefore I leave the reply with Brother Santraeger. Hopefully, he is able to pass it to you.

I am currently in the middle of something close to an educational reform inside the Orphanage thanks to Seeker's Keenan of Candlekeep help. I would advise you to contact her to discuss this proposal. Perhaps you could reach an understanding how to best support the educational needs of the older children.

Mercy's bless,
-Sister Juna
///Apologies for a late reply.///
Guidelines for my events
Remember: It's just a game. No need to get sad, angry or vengeful over it.

Server Rules
DM Rulings
TheLier

Unread post by TheLier »

After a sending was sent, and times agreed on, a sun elf arrives with a bag near the orphanage, and begins the work he previously agreed on. He would work with great care and attention. Barely saying more then necessary, sometimes stopping for a few prayers or for food. He is clearly uncomfortable, and tries to surround himself with objects from his culture he brought with himself, mainly connected to worship.

If somehow a kid comes by, he would spare them a smile, but would send them away while he works.
DM Arrakeen
Retired Staff

TheLier wrote:After a sending was sent, and times agreed on, a sun elf arrives with a bag near the orphanage, and begins the work he previously agreed on. He would work with great care and attention. Barely saying more then necessary, sometimes stopping for a few prayers or for food. He is clearly uncomfortable, and tries to surround himself with objects from his culture he brought with himself, mainly connected to worship.

If somehow a kid comes by, he would spare them a smile, but would send them away while he works.
DM Arrakeen wrote:As promised, light food and juice waits for the elf. The space designated for him to work has been cleared out with the exception of over two dozen of pictures plastered across one of the walls. All of them show... forest landscapes, animals, and starry skies. One could suspect that the children did this to make the elf feel better.
The man would not be disturbed during his work.
Guidelines for my events

Server Rules
DM Rulings
DM Arrakeen
Retired Staff

DM Arrakeen wrote:A small procession containing close to three dozens of children led by caretakers and guarded by Tyrran faithful left Pathfinder Hall and reached the Orphanage at noon.
Finally, all the kids were reunited under one roof.

Lions' duty to the children has ended.

A man with two boys could be seen leaving the Pathfinder Hall few days before the relocation. It is rumored that the boys known to some as Dannic and Andrew left for Berdusk to meet their new, adoptive parents.
///The Orphanage and Orphan-related plots are officially concluded.
Thank you, player-base.///
Guidelines for my events

Server Rules
DM Rulings
sweetlikesplenda

Unread post by sweetlikesplenda »

sweetlikesplenda wrote:
Nomster wrote:The blueberries would have picked up and examined carefully by Telia after she is informed of them. She would then leave them in the kitchen, while thoughtfully looking over the note before she gets back to her work.

The next morning, Telia would address the children after the morning prayers. She would ask for both caretakers to be present and welcome any other Pathfinders as well.

"Dear children, I received good news from Sister Juna," she pauses, then continues after a moment, "She has informed me of that the Orphanage has room once again and is capable, happy and willing to see you return and look after you."

She would pause again, to allow her words to be understood before she continues, "All of us here in Pathfinder Hall, have been very happy to receive you and it has been a wonder to see you grow and learn new things every day."

Telia then notices a certain bald child among the children and it takes her a moment to recognize the boy as Timmy. She smiles, a little amused, as she wonders how come his hair disappeared.

"I know that saying goodbye will be difficult for some of you but you are only leaving to stay in another building nearby. We will be here and you are very much welcome to visit us." She would take a moment to look at each child, watching their reactions.

"And of course, we will visit you as well." She smiles warmly, "Continue to learn and be kind, take Ilmater's teachings to heart even if you later on, find another god to who speaks to you more than He."

She would end her words with touching the Ilmateri red cord around her left wrist.
DM Arrakeen wrote:There would be some confusion among the children. Some appear to be saddened by this revelation, others not so much. Sylvi talks in hushed tones with Richard.

Eyes of a little, bald boy go wide and soon fill with tears, he clenches his fists and stares at the floor, fidgeting nervously.

Dannic watches Telia for a moment, his expression conflicted and in the end replaced by a small frown.

Andrew and Quinn seem a little worried and soon fall into a hushed, but what appears as a frantic conversation.

Mathilda simply stares at Telia from under a creased brow.
sweetlikesplenda wrote:
Aaron would stand at the rear of the group as Telia addresses the children. The young knight knew this was the inevitability when the children first arrived. They would shortly leave. He could not help a wistful moment of thought, reliving memories from the last several months.

The knight was newly arrived back in his home city of Baldur's Gate again. Traveling, in an effort to find himself once again, having taken him away for the better part of a year. The man had stepped down from his post as the Commander of the Order of the Silver Rose and went off on a journey. Word of the attack on the city by the undead army reached him too late for him to arrive in time to assist, and he was feeling without a cause, unneeded.

Unable to locate many of his old friends, the knight had wandered the roads striving for any way to feel necessary again. Brother Ameris, and old friend from before his time away, approached him and asked the knight if he would offer his services in the protection of a group of orphaned children that would be staying in Pathfinder Hall.

There were interviews with the Stewardess and Ameris, and soon the young man was readily agreeing to be a mentor as well as guardian for the children. Soon after he was offered full membership in the Order of Lions.

With a smile the knight recalled the day the first group of children arrived. Most were small and timid, some bold, others apathetic, all nervous for the change of environment; the varying stages of those trying to survive and cope after the suffering they had endured.

The young man took to the children quickly, all of them rapidly became special to him. Aaron had been struck with how fast he had become attached to these children. He had quickly tried to assess each, observing their behaviors, personalities, likes and dislikes, their preference in activities, and their learning methods.

He had taken an extra liking for Quinn. The boy was quiet, calculated, observant, and had a brilliant mind and talented hands. After displaying his skill in quickly whittling a Rook chess piece, the boy had agreed to craft a board and set for the Knight. The crafty youth had even recruited his friend Andrew to help.

His mind wandered over the many lessons he had taught the children, then the addition of the other children and the increase in class sizes. Aaron would truly miss this group of rambunctious children. So many held so much talent. Their combined possibilities seemed almost limitless. Sadly, he knew that many would not be taken in and nurtured in a family, before apprenticing or becoming too old for the orphanage. Some would not be as lucky as others and may even fall in with rogues and bandits, others their talents gone to waste with poor luck.

Drawing himself back to the present, as the children finished receiving the notice that they would soon be moved back to the orphanage, many whispering among themselves. Aaron noticed Quinn and Andrew in their hushed conversation. The young tactician made his way through the children, offering smiles, a reassuring pats on the shoulder, or a ruffle of hair as he passes clumps of chattering children.

As he nears Quinn and Andrew, the knight lowers himself to their level, taking a knee. To the two boys he would offer a big smile, though tinted with sadness, and says "I know this is another big change for you. How are you boys feeling?"
DM Arrakeen wrote:Andrew shrugs, "Not like we didn't know that this would happen. I have some friends in the other building that I miss but I also liked being here more than there," the boy sighs but his slightly sad expression is soon replaced by a bright smile. "We are going to visit I hope!"

Quinn looks to one of the children, skulking by the window then back to Aaron.
"We will be fine," the boy says half-heartedly.

"We are almost done with the chessboard!" Andrew chimes in. "We are waiting for the varnish to dry and some of the last paint touches on the actual board. All the pieces are ready," he relays the information enthusiastically.
sweetlikesplenda wrote:The Knight's ocean blue eyes settle over each as they speak. A sad smile would evolve as he listens as each. "We will come visit the Orphanage. I was asked some time ago if I might come teach lessons. Perhaps they will still let me." At mention of the chessboard he would place a hand on each of the boy's shoulder. "I want to thank both of you for your time, your dedication, and your talents in making this for me." His hands would slip off their shoulders, to rest once again at his sides.

"I also want to thank you for.." The man who had always seemed to know his words, to have his emotions in control, paused. A soft sigh slowly escapes him. "For letting me be a mentor. For letting me watch you all grow and develop, for a time. For letting me be a guardian." He would pause again briefly, moisture forming in his eyes, though no tears fell as he said, "For letting me feel needed, again."

Straightening himself, Aaron would pull from a small hip bag, two small bundles. Unrolling the cloth coverings, two King chess pieces carved from garnet rested in the palm of his hand, each hung from a leather thong. Handing one to each, Aaron would say with a smile, "For each of you, for work well done on my chessboard. That you know that good work should always be rewarded. And, so that both of you will -always- remember that you are kings, in my eyes."
DM Arrakeen wrote:Andrew, with little thought behind it, hugs the Knight tightly. "Thank you, sir Aaron. For everything! I will never forget you and what you did for us," the emotional boy solemnly nods accepting the gift.

Quinn on the other hand respectfully bows to Aaron.
"Thank you, sir, for giving us something to work towards."

A day later the chessboard with all its pieces would be waiting for Aaron at Pathfinder hall.
sweetlikesplenda wrote:Day dawned on Pathfider Hall. The halls were strangely quiet. The lack of giggling, hurrying, yelling, and whispering children was almost oppressive. A young knight walked unhindered, his hand tracing the wall as he went. Accustomed to dodging between children moving between meals, classes, at play, the Hall seemed much larger to him. He visited the rooms that once occupied the children during their tenure there. The extra sleeping mats, storage chests, toys, and other furniture and objects brought in for the children had been removed.

The man had been apprehensive when the children first arrived. He had spent time in the field with grown men and women, giving orders, discussing tactics, teaching. He had assumed his lack of experience with children, at the time, might be a hindrance. But, as with all things, he studied their methods, ways of learning, their mannerisms, and he had adapted his teaching to fit them. As he did so, he realized the importance these children had become to him.

Pushing the door open to the living quarters for Pathfinder members, Aaron sat heavily on his sleeping pallet. He had said his goodbyes to the children the night before they had returned to the orphanage. He found it difficult to be present as the children left. He had stayed behind as they filed out of Pathfinder Hall, standing in the doorway waving and offering them an encouraging smile. Pulling off his gloves he reached for the finished chess board and pieces. Picking up each he looked over the quality skill in their design, paint, and varnish. The game board would be always be a cherished item for the man, just as the children would be.

His examination complete, he set the chess board down. The light of the day warmed him as it entered the window of the room. A slight smile graced his face as he allowed this rare time of melancholy to invade his thoughts.
Aaron Lyonaler - Favored Soul of The Red Knight, Grand Knight of the Radiant Heart, Advisor to Duke Eltan, Order of Lions Member
Bio, Journal

"A proper example is a greater weapon for Good than the sword."
-Aaron Lyonaler
TheLier

Unread post by TheLier »

DM Arrakeen wrote:
TheLier wrote:After a sending was sent, and times agreed on, a sun elf arrives with a bag near the orphanage, and begins the work he previously agreed on. He would work with great care and attention. Barely saying more then necessary, sometimes stopping for a few prayers or for food. He is clearly uncomfortable, and tries to surround himself with objects from his culture he brought with himself, mainly connected to worship.

DM Arrakeen wrote:As promised, light food and juice waits for the elf. The space designated for him to work has been cleared out with the exception of over two dozen of pictures plastered across one of the walls. All of them show... forest landscapes, animals, and starry skies. One could suspect that the children did this to make the elf feel better.
The man would not be disturbed during his work.
He returns and leaves several times while working. He does not seem less nervous even with the pictures, but says a few kind words about them, thanking for the effort, leaving when he could not bear the human city anymore. Canting can be heard from wherever he works.

Return to “The 1352 (2016) Campaign”