BG & Environs Construction Efforts (Player/DM IC RP)

The "Year of the Dragon" Campaign

Moderators: Moderator, DM

DM Ninox

BG & Environs Construction Efforts (Player/DM IC RP)

Unread post by DM Ninox »

Thayan Business in Baldur's Gate (Posted by DM Dialectic)

Rumor spreads throughout Baldur's Gate that newly arrived magical construction golems from the Thayan Enclave of Baldur's Gate, shipped via teleport from production facilities in Thaymount, were set into reconstruction service in the Baldur's Gate area under a temporary leasing agreement between the Thayan Enclave and the Grand Dukes of Baldur's Gate. With the golems seemingly filling a significant amount of the raw reconstruction labor needs with mechanical golemic efficiency, it is even said that some local Baldurians were frustrated that it cost them a decent job in construction in the city's reconstruction efforts. Others, typically those already gainfully employed, are seen speaking warmly of the Thayan golem efforts, exclaiming that any help with rebuilding is help appreciated, even if it was done out of profit motive of Thay. Some further speak of the recent Red Wizard martial service in the battles of the recent siege of the city, part of the alleged Three Laws agreement that the Enclave is said to have with the city, showing reserved to intense appreciation for that as well.

Some also gossip about the city that the Thayan Enclave has sold significant orders of magical items to the magic item depleted arcane battle elements of the Flaming Fist Mercenary Company, using shipments fresh from Thay as well to be delivered by teleport or made onsite in the Enclave by Red Wizards over the next couple tenday. These Fist elements had apparently used most of their consumable magic items in the recent siege and needed to be restocked.

Magical item shipment orders, filling post-siege civil shortages, are also said to be arriving at the Thayan Enclave or made onsite at it by Red Wizards available at prices that only the wealthy of the city could afford and not the common people. Numerous wealthy merchants and nobles of Baldurian high society come by the Enclave to pick up orders of such items when they received magical sending that their order is ready.

Dwarven Deals in Baldur's Gate (Posted by DM Ninox)

An expected dwarven caravan arrived from the north and passed slowly through the farmlands. The official delegation met with one Trenton Leichhardt, Baldur's chief structural engineer. They were welcomed hospitably with a feast of ale, bread and roasted meats in the Helm & Cloak while the party engaged in private discussions. After some time the group emerged from the Inn and took a tour of the city, whereby Trenton showed the dwarven ambassage the various damages to the city's walls, towers and gatehouses that were in need for repair. Copious notes were taken and they dwarves departed to their private negotiations in amicable spirits, filling themselves with the best of the local amber swills.
Last edited by DM Ninox on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resigned member of the DM team. PMs will not be answered.
DM Ninox

Re: 1352 - Dwarven Reconstruction Efforts (Player/DM IC RP)

Dwarven Deals in Baldur's Gate

While the dwarves and the Baldurian city engineers prepared to write out a contract for the works, the Thayan Enclave delivered over several Construction golems to continue the work of clearing the worksites of rubble and debris. Trenton seemed rather pleased with this development and began to consult with his fellows in the Temple of Gond about the mechanical artifice behind the impressive constructs. Whether the dwarves would feel the same way is another matter.
DM Ninox

Re: BG & Environs Construction Efforts (Player/DM IC RP)

For reasons unknown to most, the dwarven engineering team has been seen withdrawing from Baldur's Gate and leaving once again for the north. They left one diplomatic representative behind to liaise with the city's Chief Engineer about their future works and proposed aid. In the mean time, teams of construction labourers have begun constructing cranes and scaffolding around the palace district walls in preparation for its repair and rebuilding.
ragnarok1983

Unread post by ragnarok1983 »

Leo Hammersmitty, a gnome Techsmith and part-time resident of the Baldur's Gate area, discusses the ongoing repairs with his colleagues at the temple. While at the Temple of Gond, the discussion about the recent exodus of Dwarven assistance is conversed about at some length. Following the small talk, Leo approaches Chief Engineer Trenton Leichhardt to offer assistance in the Dwarf's absence.

"Chief Engineer, if I may h-h-h-have a word with yeh. Now then, I hear that yeh may be in need of some assistance. If'n yeh think that I could help in any way, please make use of me and Onus." He says, motioning to his Gondsman. He swishes his pipe from one side of his mouth the the other before continuing. "I won't lie. I am no stonemason. I'd use more mortar than would ever be required since I chisel and cut stone with th-th-the grace of a drunk Orc. Whrrrrzpt! However, I sure can do some design work if'n yeh need some help there. Plenty familiar with the theories behind proper soil work, foundation design, wall d-d-d-design, etcetera. I'm a smith by trade, but an engineer by practice and fer many years." The old Gnome smiles broadly, strokes his grayed beard and swishes his pipe to the other side of his mouth once more. "I can get some of m'portfolio together if yeh wish. Got some experience in both Lantan and Waterdeep with defenses and seige engines. If yer satisfied with what yeh see, feel free to put me and my mechanical friend to work rebuildin' this fine city!"
Paws "Paws rode a dragon once! Uhm. Scales are... uncomfortable. Learned value of saddle, yep-yep."
Leo Hammersmitty Techsmith. Whhhhrrrzpt!
Baldric Barrington The Politician (Died of starvation after a long torturous existence following him losing his career)
DM Ninox

"Ah ha, excellent!" replied the late middle-aged man at the offer of assistance. "I find it far easier to work with the Temple's own than having to utilise outsiders, as talented as the dwarves may be. I do hope whatever emergency they are dealing with up north is resolved quickly because I still value their expert advice in stonework, a matter which forms the primary concern in re-establishing our walls and towers."

He rubbed his chin in thought as he appraised the diminutive figure and his construct. "Can you build more o' those?" he asked, pointing at the golem. "The Thayans have loaned us some upon Duchal permission but if we can keep our costs lower with some local ingenuity it will go a long way in assisting the repair and reconstruction effort, not to mention creating a safer work environment for our labourers, many of which are unskilled refugees. If siege equipment is more your kind of thing I know the Fist engineering company were looking for assistance in designing and constructing new engines for the towers once the repairs are done. That may be some months yet, but the planning of new war machines is already under way now. I'd recommend you going to speak to Captain Louis Bellerose if you want to follow that up."
ragnarok1983

"Aye! Aye, I can build more. Still have half the design work at my room in the inn. If'n the city has the coin to fund them a'course. The basic ones cost about 500 gold each just for materials, but if yeh want quality over quantity, you'll find a linear relationship between the coin submitted and the finer Gondsman. I can make a list of components and materials and yeh want the city to source the materials directly, which will probably save the city some coin. I'm no good carrying coin anyway. Probably find some newfangeled-thingamabobs that I have no use fer, and spend the coin on that before I get the required materials!

*The old Gnome let's out a hearty laugh.*

Nevertheless, the less-Gondsman can still pick things up and put them down. Which is mostly what we need them for anyway. Whhhhhrzzzpt! As fer my own wages, I only need enough to pay fer travel and whatnot, but not a piece more. My smith shops back home provide enough to support m'self otherwise.

So aye, let's tend to the walls first then! It looked like the city was past the foundation stage, and I'm sure you were more than up to the task of completing that portion of the design. I will happily work on what is left.

And shall talk to Captain Bellerose post-haste about the turrets, siege engines, and th'like. I find the mechanical designs more interestin' personally... at least more so than earthwork and wall design anyhow. Certainly look forward to the challenge! Pting!

Thank yeh Chief!"
Paws "Paws rode a dragon once! Uhm. Scales are... uncomfortable. Learned value of saddle, yep-yep."
Baldric Barrington The Politician (Died of starvation after a long torturous existence following him losing his career)
ragnarok1983

Leo approaches Chief Engineer Trenton Leichhardt to present his findings on the continuing rebuilding efforts.

Good news!

I am sure both you and I want these walls to stand long past our demise, so I have completed a series of checks on our present design. The actual design of the walls was sound and the Dwarven designs are surely more than adequate with their extensive experience with earthworks... nevertheless I offered my experience as merely a second set of eyes on the project and I have completed those rudimentary checks on the pressure our walls will exert on the soils beneath.

The results are mostly-great! Whhhhhrrrzzpt! The total downward pressure equates to 2187.5 pounds per square foot. Most clays can handle 2000 pounds per square foot and some up to 3000 pounds per square foot. So even in clay, as long as we don't build any higher, these walls should never settle more than mayhaps a quarter of an inch! HAZZAH! Now then, for any areas with towers or similar structures, we must ensure we build a slightly wider and deeper foundation --- unless we already have hit bedrock --- to prevent settling and to add stability in the event of a conventional attack by siege weaponry. The present direction seems more than adequate.

All in all, the design is sound, and it looks like the Gate will have excellent defenses in the years to come!

DM Ninox

"An interesting design," Trenton quipped in an enigmatic tone as he thoroughly cast his eyes over the schematics, "but I do believe you have omitted a few critical details. The outside of the wall is surrounded by a ten foot moat on the northern side which means we have had to offset our foundation rear-wards with a corresponding centre of mass within the wall itself. I'm afraid that a simple earthen fill, while that would speed our reconstruction, is wholly unsuitable for the present application as we do hope to rebuild in an identical style to what was there before, for the sake of continuity you see." The late middle aged man rubbed the bridge of his nose and blinked once or twice as he directed his vision towards his diminutive temple associate.

"Since you seem rather knowledgeable about pressures and forces, however, I have suddenly been struck with the most profound suggestion for you to investigate, Mr. Hammersmitty," he continued after a brief pause to stoop down and show the diagram to its maker. "During the seige, we noticed our walls had a critical weakness when being assaulted from above by those horrid walking monstrosities. We were simply not prepared for the eventuation of beasts as tall as the walls themselves tearing them from top down. I am wondering, therefore, if you can investigate if there is some way we can critically reinforce our merlons on the upper fortifications, whether it be through a new technique to interlock the masonry or some substructure we can employ retrospectively across all the city walls? I had hoped the dwarves would have been able to advise us further upon such matters, given their penchant for stone, but alas, they have been recalled to their mountain home for gods-know-how long and in the meantime we are left to our own ingenuity which, I am minded to believe, shall be adequate enough."
ragnarok1983

Yes-yes, quite right about the moat. My drawings and calculations were grossly over-simplified and generic.... simplified to obtain a rough data for the calculation of soil pressures and compare them to the bearing pressures the underlying soils can withstand. As you implied, with a moat (particularly one that borders the wall directly) foundation designs require significant differences from standard shallow foundations, in order to offset that lost effective square footage. For that, we would most certainly have to go with a deep foundation --- again assuming we don't hit bedrock first, which makes our problems easy to solve --- and utilize the friction within the soil itself to help keep our walls in good order. Quite right sir, quite right.

I shall start some experiments post-haste in order to P-TING!
*coughs, pauses, then continues* in order to determine the effective cohesion of the soil. I will talk to the foreman about the soils they have found and research the city's past to get an idea of where we may have troubled areas and seek a way to prevent that.

As for the merlons... You present me with a difficult problem, so I may enjoy it thoroughly!
*laughs a bit* As you well-know, the problem with stone and mortar is the lack of tensile strength, especially after the bonding of the mortar is compromised. It's compression strength is nearly without compare... but that tension... I shall look into it immediately and see if we may come up with a suitable design. Whhhhhhhhrrrrzpt!

What is the status of the city's brass, copper, and steel supplies? P-ting! Surely there are some metal reinforcement techniques could be utilized, but obviously not if it also bankrupts the city. And while steel is stronger, we may opt for brass or copper due to cost and it's ability to withstand the elements. I will also do additional research into the keying of stones to explore viable stone-only solutions.
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

Recently returned from a year trading abroad, Wizzelbert Cranksproket - a Lantanese gnome dressed loudly and full of energy - has been seen of late very active near the Temple of Gond in Baldur's Gate. It seems that he had met with one Leo Hammersmitty on the road near the Friendly Arm Inn and was encouraged to return to the temple to further the work on his "special projects". A Techsmith by definition, Wizzelbert has been in near constant company with his Gondsman, which he proudly describes to nearly anyone that will listen as his "mechanomagical spectaculis imaginarius" or "smashificator" to those he thinks may be more simple minded.

On further advice of Mr Hammersmitty, Wizzelbert waits patiently for Chief Engineer Trenton Leichhardt to have a moment to speak. If granted the time:
Hidden: show
*The gnome approaches with hat in one hand and a broad smile on his cherubic face. His other hand firmly outstretched in offer of greeting. Well behind him is a shining steel golem-like suit of armor, tick-tocking in fast rhythm*

"Good day, good day, and it is a good day, isn't it? The reconstruction appears to be progressing and the sun is still shining, yes? I am Wizzelbert Cranksprocket, of Illul, and of recent acquaintance of one Leo Hammersmitty, of the Temple there.."

*he motions toward it*

"As I understand it, the good Hammersmitty has engaged in assisting your fine men in these reconstruction efforts? Yes, yes, the reconstruction of the wall."

*he continues on rapidly, his accent a melodic lilt as he shakes the engineers hand with as firm a shake as he can manage*

"While perhaps not nearly as gifted in the art of design as the good Hammersmitty, I do offer my own talents. Or.. uh.. yes..uh talents indeed."

*he pauses a moment as if thinking*

"As I was saying. I would like to offer to you the assistance of my talents in the arcane, as well as the sheer strength and versatility of my creation there"

*he motions back to his Gondsmen as his excitement builds*

"An apparatus as anomalous as it is prodigious, capable of tasks of all kinds, stronger than.. "

*he stops himself with a sheepish smile, though he could clearly blabber on at great lengths*

"Yes, um, yes very strong."

*he appears to straighten his posture and regain a bit of composure, settling down*

"I am here to offer my assistance, my sir, and hope that we can be used toward the efforts of rebuilding your wall, or whatever general tasks may be needed. Yes."

*At that, the quick talking gnome takes a slight step back, places his top hat on his head, and awaits any response*
**Character description here if it helps**
http://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=38034
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
DM Dialectic

Unread post by DM Dialectic »

It is rumored that one of the wealthier non-noble farmers of the Baldur's Gate Farmlands, Farmer Todd, was able to rebuild his barn without outside assistance, as he apparently had some surplus lumber and his own family avaialble to help him do so. Many other Farmlands non-noble farmers don't seem to be so lucky, however. Most wooden structures in the Eastern Farmlands it is said are still in ruin and in need of rebuilding. Some of Farmer Todd's crops also seem to be returning normally, helped by efforts of local good sumaritan adventurers.
DM Ninox

"Another one, is it?" Trenton blinked as he craned his neck downwards to get a better look at the second diminutive figure. "I hope you will appreciate, Mr. Cranksproket, that my time is important to me, and that more than one spanner has been thrown not only towards but into our works of recent days. If you have a proposal to do with your ingenuity, please set it forth in writing for review. Our progress on the reconstruction will continue unabated, with or without the assistance offered to us, be it gnome, dwarf or Thayan work golems."

At those final three words of his sentence he would offer the gnome a discreet wink before hooking his left arm around his wife's and retiring, for now, from the Temple of Gond to his private residence.
In other news, the dwarven emissary from Kraak Helzak was seen to have withdrawn from the city today, flanked by a couple of dwarven guards, and the group were seen to mount war ponies in the north of the city and head back towards their citadel nestled in the Troll Claws.

Return to “The 1352 (2016) Campaign”