A remade BG city - suggestions welcome

Suggestions for Improving Existing Area Maps or for Altering Area Maps to Reflect In-Game Plots

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Snarfy

Re: A remade BG city - suggestions welcome

Unread post by Snarfy »

For those that don't know what this is about, or have seen it yet, here ya go (apologies for some of the camera angles):

tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

Thanks Snarfy,
From memory, that does look like the latest version. It looks very empty without all the NPC’s around, but they were all setup too I think.

@steve yeah I guess there would be tweaking needed after 2 years. Shouldn’t take 50 hours I would think. I could do it in 5-10 hours, but no PC anymore.
I feel like at this stage, if it’s desired then the best bet would be to implement it and test it live and fix the major things short term and the rest over time.
Per aspera ad astra
Anchor
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Anchor »

Snarfy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:11 pm For those that don't know what this is about, or have seen it yet, here ya go (apologies for some of the camera angles):

Wow this is beautiful
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

Steve wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:20 pm Off hand, it's about 50 hours of work (that was a quick estimate).
tfunke wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:39 am From memory, that does look like the latest version. It looks very empty without all the NPC’s around, but they were all setup too I think.

@steve yeah I guess there would be tweaking needed after 2 years. Shouldn’t take 50 hours I would think. I could do it in 5-10 hours, but no PC anymore.
I feel like at this stage, if it’s desired then the best bet would be to implement it and test it live and fix the major things short term and the rest over time.
After running around the module multiple times, here's a list of things that I feel would need to be done before it goes live:

1. Making sure all the guild hall locations are in the correct area, and are approved by said guilds. Some halls are either missing entirely(House Vale) or in the wrong district(Darius tavern/hall).
2. As tfunk says, there's a lack of NPC's wandering around.
3. Repairing/touching up some big walkmesh issues.
4. Minor issues of wonky looking doors, and other glitchy looking things.

All in all, I like the placement of the various quest and merchant NPC's and shops, and some of the hall/temple locations are spot on(IE: I like where the Thayan enclave is situated, and how it looks, but that's just me). Navigating the layout is a bit confusing at first, but once you've walked around the areas a few times it's easy to get your bearings. I didn't really pay much attention to how the city sounds, but I figure it could be made to sound more busy if needed. I'll pop back in and check that out soon.
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

In the last draft that I had a chance to play, there was no clear demarcation of where the edge of the map intersected the city; players would simply run into an invisible wall. We'd want to touch up things like that to add a fence, hedge, or other visible boundary so that players know where they're able to walk and where they can't. It's a great map, and I'm very eager to get it into the game, but I want it to be fully tested and polished beforehand so that players will appreciate the new map instead of struggling with it.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

I hope tfunke's version of BG makes it into the server
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
AlfarinIcebreaker

Unread post by AlfarinIcebreaker »

It would be a shame if so much quality work didn't come into fruition. It would be a great boon to the server.

Even though I am not playing regulary anymore, I have to say thanks to all the beautiful people who volunteer their valuable time and considerable skills to drive this server forward. Hats off to you!
tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

2. As tfunk says, there's a lack of NPC's wandering around.
Just to clarify, all the NPC spawn points are there already, you just cant see any NPC's because they are not attached to that module. They will be there when/if it goes live.

Also at Ged, yes that was fixed. If you watch the end of the video above, that last transition from North-east to South-east is now a wall. That's the spot that originally was wide open and confusing. That was fixed too.

cheers
Per aspera ad astra
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

tfunke wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:51 am Also at Ged, yes that was fixed. If you watch the end of the video above, that last transition from North-east to South-east is now a wall. That's the spot that originally was wide open and confusing. That was fixed too.
Fantasic!!

Return to “Areas”