A remade BG city - suggestions welcome

Suggestions for Improving Existing Area Maps or for Altering Area Maps to Reflect In-Game Plots

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Re: A remade BG city - suggestions welcome

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

It doesn't load in the game, either... That's weird.
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

I used the trial version of winzip, worked fine. Put the unzipped file in your user/documents/nwn2 - modules folder, and run the actual game, not the client extension. New game -> modules, should work fine.
There are no level 30's, only level 20's with benefits...
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

That worked! Weird, can't use the client extension?

Edit: Post-Test:

Okay, wow, this is really pretty. I like the way it's open and lets you drop the camera a bit more; way more conducive to RP. I get a little confused with the area boundaries along open spaces. Maybe those could be shaded slightly darker on the outside of the boundary, so we know we can't walk there.
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

For those who haven't seen this BG-map-facelift yet, I'm putting up some screenshots. I recommend trying out the module, so you can see everything in either day or night. I basically started in the North East Gate, and went counter-clockwise.

North East Gate, facing towards main exit, Elfsong is on the right:

NE Gate, facing north:

NE Gate, facing west, towards merchant tent:

Inside North East BG market tent:

North West BG, facing north, Duchal Palace on right, exit to north farmland straight ahead.

NW BG, at the entrance to the White Mask gardens:

NW BG, facing south towards harbor:

South West BG, a row of warehouses along the western wall of city:

South West BG/Harbor, facing the Water Queens temple and Captain Calico:

SW BG Harbor, facing east(Water Queen Temple off screen back and to the right):

SW BG, following the water-line towards Harbor Master:

South East BG, looking towards Water Queens, Harbor Master and Captain Deudermont on the right:

South East BG, not far from the Elfsong, facing west:

SE BG, through the gate that leads to Graveyard(look SE corner of pop-up map):

SE BG, what you'll see when you enter BG from farmlands. Elfsong on left:
There are no level 30's, only level 20's with benefits...
tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

Thanks for the feedback Snarfy and Ged (and Steve through PM). I'd hoped for some more feedback, but beggars can't be choosers.
I do wonder though, how much interest is there in a redone version of the city at this point? I'm curious to know, as I'd rather not continue working on it, if it's a 50/50 (or less) split :)
In order to fully complete it, it will take me about another 40+ hours.

-please share your thoughts , if you ever wanted to. Now's the chance.
Per aspera ad astra
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

I really, really want to see it happen. My only concern is the memory footprint of turning 3 outdoor areas into 4, but that's more of a deal-with-it-when-we-get-there problem.

The new layout is way more conducive to RP. You can stop anywhere and talk without having to stare straight down at the characters, and it's gorgeous to boot!
tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

gedweyignasia wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:53 amMy only concern is the memory footprint of turning 3 outdoor areas into 4, but that's more of a deal-with-it-when-we-get-there problem.
That's a very valid concern. One I've considered thankfully.
While this new city version does have 4 areas, instead of the 3 now, each of the areas is significantly smoother to run and less resource intensive the each of the individual city sections we currently have. The reason I've gone this route, is so that if DM's decide to have events within the city walls, the events should run smoothly overall for the players.
The 4 areas will be slightly larger in overall size to the current 3 though, but remove one or two DM areas and bobs your uncle.

So I'm aiming for a prettier, better framerates and more user-friendly city overall.
Per aspera ad astra
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

tfunke wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:08 am remove one or two DM areas and bobs your uncle
You said the in-your-head part out loud!
izzul

Unread post by izzul »

Siamorphe's chosen is still alive in BG based on current year. Perhaps a little shrine of Silver Chalice with Golden Sun somewhere to pay tribute ;)
Azzizuleia Tyrielmrande-[Permadeath PC]
Eilondruil Eldanyar-Corellon Larethian[Battle Historian]
Iz Azul-Red Knight[Active]
Krueger-Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617
Mystera Electra-Mystra[Goat Girl]

"give to yourself, took from others-Integrity and Justice"
tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

izzul wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:51 pm Siamorphe's chosen is still alive in BG based on current year. Perhaps a little shrine of Silver Chalice with Golden Sun somewhere to pay tribute ;)
Can do. PM me with a few more details so I don't get it wrong. Never heard of Siamorphe.
Per aspera ad astra
BDobolina

Unread post by BDobolina »

There should be a shrine to Waukeen as well, per the lore books (and Waukeen is a fairly major deity for the time period).

Otherwise the only suggestions might be to include more of the crane placeables and other technologically advanced type placeables there if possible? They are supposed to be highly advanced due to influence by the temple of Gond.

It may just be me, but the Wide is difficult for me to work around (and I use it a lot as a merchant) due to the tent overhead. I have to stay zoomed in fairly close to make it work, which isnt how I generally play. Just food for thought I guess.
Jackard Marks - Waukeenar Merchant of Tethyr - "The bold find the gold, the careful keep it - and the timid yield it up."
Ravial

Unread post by Ravial »

tfunke wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:52 pm
izzul wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:51 pm Siamorphe's chosen is still alive in BG based on current year. Perhaps a little shrine of Silver Chalice with Golden Sun somewhere to pay tribute ;)
Can do. PM me with a few more details so I don't get it wrong. Never heard of Siamorphe.
That's wrong. Siamorphe of Baldur's Gate has been dead since 1256 DR. 100 Years. Siamorphe is based in Waterdeep and her cult is nearly and fully dead in Baldur's Gate.
"I sometimes wonder if Ravial is actually rav'ialquessir irl" ~ Colonic 2017

~Viridiana Lydhaer - Retired. Silverymoon!
~Arundae Dyraalis - Retired.
~Amaevael Laelyssil - Retired, Selu'Taar on Evermeet
~Laeria Amarillis - #HideThePainLaeria

Ravial ~ By CommanderKrieg ~
tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

Ravial wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:35 am That's wrong. Siamorphe of Baldur's Gate has been dead since 1256 DR. 100 Years. Siamorphe is based in Waterdeep and her cult is nearly and fully dead in Baldur's Gate.
Ok thanks
Per aspera ad astra
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

tfunke wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:13 am
Ravial wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:35 am That's wrong. Siamorphe of Baldur's Gate has been dead since 1256 DR. 100 Years. Siamorphe is based in Waterdeep and her cult is nearly and fully dead in Baldur's Gate.
Ok thanks
While book-lore correct, Siamorphe had a lively following in the earlier days of the server and 'DM Lore' at the time positioned it as rebirthed in Baldur's Gate, the same way that Red Knight has been worshipped on our server, despite the lore leaning toward her being basically a nothing at this point. ((edit to add that my recollection is that a noble from Waterdeep had brought the cult back to BG and it had flourished among the nobility, there may be references to it on the proboard site))

No argument either way about inclusion, but Saimorphe is a chooseable god, has players using her, and has been used as an active Deity in the past by DMs. "Fully Dead" is relying too far on books instead of server experience.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
Ravial

Unread post by Ravial »

Her cult in Baldur's Gate, NPC wise, is nearly fully dead. The deity isn't. The players can have it as their patron in whatever capacity they want.

Doesn't change that there's likely going to be almost nobody worshipping Siamorphe in NPC population unless DMs change that :P Which is nothing I've personally heard or read about much at all to prove otherwise.

And that, itself, opens up some plot availability for anyone wishing to establish a shrine to Siamorphe the way BG now has a temple of Torm (something which doesn't exist in canon BG). Realistically, there'd be none right now.
"I sometimes wonder if Ravial is actually rav'ialquessir irl" ~ Colonic 2017

~Viridiana Lydhaer - Retired. Silverymoon!
~Arundae Dyraalis - Retired.
~Amaevael Laelyssil - Retired, Selu'Taar on Evermeet
~Laeria Amarillis - #HideThePainLaeria

Ravial ~ By CommanderKrieg ~

Return to “Areas”