Replace Duergers in Titanfist Mines

Suggestions for Improving Existing Area Maps or for Altering Area Maps to Reflect In-Game Plots

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Anchor
Recognized Donor

Replace Duergers in Titanfist Mines

Unread post by Anchor »

Duerger NPC spawns are already represented in the mines and outside the illithid area.

Drow NPC spawns are in Oghranns.

Request swapping out the Titanfist Mine duerger with svirfneblin, or planetouched humans since it's in the upperdark and near Rockrun.

Tried searching for cannon lore on the Titanfist mines but could not find anything, nor much IG lore, so hopefully a change like this if it happened wouldn't affect too much RP.
JIŘÍ

Re: Replace Duergers in Titanfist Mines

Unread post by JIŘÍ »

Are they even duergars? I thought these npcs were shield dwarves: outcasts and criminals
Discord contact: Haf#6089
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

JIŘÍ wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:26 am Are they even duergars? I thought these npcs were shield dwarves: outcasts and criminals
They are duergar of Clan Titanfist; IIRC, the former lords of what is now known as Rockrun.

At any rate, adding hostile svirfneblin would be a considerable stretch, and planetouched aren't much better in this environment. Duergar seems fine to me.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Tekill
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tekill »

Those poor pitiful members of clan Titanfist. Beaten by giant purple mushrooms. They started off strong sending them Svirfs packing!
Then they let the svirfs flip the script on them...poor leadership on clan Titanfists part apparently.
I mean mushrooms!?

Well at least the remnants of the clan cling to the mine. Maybe clan Blackanvil will show pity and give them a chance to restore some honor.

The Titanfist mine is very valuable as a mine and a possible trade route. Current control is tenuous at best...or so I presume.
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
Anchor
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Anchor »

DaloLorn wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:32 am
JIŘÍ wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:26 am Are they even duergars? I thought these npcs were shield dwarves: outcasts and criminals
They are duergar of Clan Titanfist; IIRC, the former lords of what is now known as Rockrun.

At any rate, adding hostile svirfneblin would be a considerable stretch, and planetouched aren't much better in this environment. Duergar seems fine to me.
Sure, theyre fine. Just feels redundant. Dungeons in the UD are already limited. Why not make it varied?
JIŘÍ

Unread post by JIŘÍ »

Anchor wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:48 pm

Sure, theyre fine. Just feels redundant. Dungeons in the UD are already limited. Why not make it varied?

pray and ask for new areas, not just for replacing a spawn somewhere... :dance:
Discord contact: Haf#6089
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

JIŘÍ wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:54 pm
Anchor wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:48 pm

pray and ask for new areas, not just for replacing a spawn somewhere... :dance:
Especially an ICly reasonable spawn. I'd much sooner be in favor of upgrading the maps north of the Gauth Grottoes to be a higher CR, now that they no longer link to River Rift. Does anyone even go to pick on those three and a half kobolds?

(Either way, I'm so far removed from area development that I haven't even opened the toolset in my month on the team. Just giving my opinion.)
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

If anything server lore wise, Duregar in Titanfist make a lot more sense than the Duregar compound sitting in the illithid mines. With devils just kind of hanging out under it.

Seems like it would make more sense to remove the compound and expand the devil area as some place where the miners 'dug too deep.' Cliché, but it works better than a compound of duregar sitting next to a mine full of duregar slaves.
Moridin
Custom Content

Unread post by Moridin »

I think the Duergar Compound was intended as Duergar who escaped the illithid, and are trying to free their kin. The devils being right there I can't explain though.
Characters:
Lomith Dy'nesen Journal
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

That sounds like a good reason to not change them. So they're rebelling against Rockrun's new residents? Makes sense.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

Moridin wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:04 pm I think the Duergar Compound was intended as Duergar who escaped the illithid, and are trying to free their kin. The devils being right there I can't explain though.
Lava cave actually looks better connected to Oghrann's, being a part of Searing tunnels or some extension of drider wilds.
Moridin
Custom Content

Unread post by Moridin »

EasternCheesE wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:12 am
Moridin wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:04 pm I think the Duergar Compound was intended as Duergar who escaped the illithid, and are trying to free their kin. The devils being right there I can't explain though.
Lava cave actually looks better connected to Oghrann's, being a part of Searing tunnels or some extension of drider wilds.
I don't really see how it would fit to Oghrann's but definitely the Searing Tunnels.
Characters:
Lomith Dy'nesen Journal
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Moridin wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:16 am
I don't really see how it would fit to Oghrann's but definitely the Searing Tunnels.
Well, Oghrann ruins were a big centre of magic before they became ruins. Since there are mad cannibal drow now, some demon-infested cave under the ruins fits the theme.
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

EasternCheesE wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:22 am
Moridin wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:16 am

Lava cave actually looks better connected to Oghrann's, beingy a part of Searing tunnels or some extension of drider wilds.
Well, Oghrann ruins were a big centre of magic before they became ruins. Since there are mad cannibal drow now, some demon-infested cave under the ruins fits the theme.
The only issue is Oghrann’s is filled with demon worshippers and the lava caves are filled with devils. Though if you swapped out the pit fiend for a Balor and the other devils fit demons it would actually make more sense…

But finding some infernal portal deep in the mines is pretty cool already. It’s just oddly slapped together with the duregar compound which is also oddly placed.
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

My bad, i keep mixing up devils and demons xD

Return to “Areas”