The Levels of Underdark: Differentiating Better to Canon

Suggestions for Improving Existing Area Maps or for Altering Area Maps to Reflect In-Game Plots

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Steve
Recognized Donor

The Levels of Underdark: Differentiating Better to Canon

Unread post by Steve »

Hello,
I want to propose that, with all the changes coming online for BGTSCC, and in regard to UD/Surface, that the following not only be taken into consideration, but actually implemented.

The basic proposal: Define and implement Areas that are situated in either the Upperdark or the Middledark in a manner that reflects their canon existence, and as such, their accessibility and/or the difficulty therein for travel, adventuring and survivability (to what extent is possible with this Engine).

Facts:

As has been noted on the Discord Dev-svn-feed, the entrance to the Upperdark from the Trollclaws was "collapsed." :
Due to the physical chaos caused by the Time of Troubles, the passageway between the Trollclaws and the Upperdark has collapsed. Other entrances exist, but these paths are likely to be dangerous and easy to get lost in.
I'm not here to argue that it be reinstated, however, it shouldn't have collapsed for just no reason (that being, because an OOC decision was made).

But what I am proposing is that more or alternative entrances to the Upperdark that reflect the Canon "ease" in which to access it, be added. Or, the Trollclaws could be reinstated, easy peasy!

Additionally, Rhifox mentioned adding Skill Checks to enter in the Underdark. But those Checks, as per Canon, should not be for the Upperdark, but for the Middledark...and something like Areas around Sshamath, which is Canon located in the Middledark.

So, what's my personal investment here? Well, ever since the Upperdark areas were added, it seemed possible to have an interesting "middle ground" between the UD and the Surface. A place that had inherent danger to it, and also reason for BOTH sides to be there: Surfacers adventuring down for X; Middledarkers staging raids and trading for goods plus adventuring around. AND, with such a "zone" on BGTSCC, it could provide a Lore appropriate place for Conflict RP, should Players wish to seek it out, from either side. BONUS: it could all be done in the Upperdark, and not be Lore-disturbing to either Surface or Middledark.

Doesn't that sound great?!?

Lastly, I've also personally always dreamed of having Characters be able to Spawn in the Upperdark, originate from the Upperdark, where Lore appropriate—not just Drow, Svirfs and Duergars, but Shield Dwarves as well. That the Upperdark could be an additional "under-the-surface Wild West," for those Characters that do not fit either the Sword Coast Surface nor the Sshamath Middledark.

Doesn't that also sound great?!?

Oh, and one more thing...having such changes would also make Varalla's Passage much more important, for direct access to Sshamath, for all the right reasons. As it should be. I think this would forward and support RP between two poles of Evil.

Obviously, the Engine can only support so much. Any additional comments welcome. Cheers.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Rinzler
Recognized Donor

Re: The Levels of Underdark: Differentiating Better to Canon

Unread post by Rinzler »

I have always been in favor of this. However, if you’re going to make Sshamath harder to get to, it needs to legitimately have the best magic item store(s) in the server by far (which would be lore appropriate) to encourage travel and trade. I think doing both would do wonders for the dynamic between the surface and the underdark:
  • It makes Sshamath worth going to
  • It makes Sshamath harder to get to (maze-like dungeons on the way to Sshamath that have the highest CR creatures like Dryders)
  • It makes Sshamath being a “safe haven” for surfacers more impactful (because it's legitimately dangerous getting there)
  • It gives underdark PCs and guilds more purpose and interaction with a larger portion of the player base
Edit:

I also think adding a Lowerdark beneath Sshamath would be awesome. It could include shadow dragons, mind flayers, portals to elemental planes / abyss / hells, beholders, etc (many of which even surfacers could find reasons to venture to).
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

Everything is possible if we have enough areas. Launch your toolset and give us some :)
Speaking of Ogre cave transition collapsed, it's a temp measure. Sadly, combat update took way more time than we expected so we simply weren't ready to introduce really hard passageway maps between realms. And, decision to lift UD/Surface restrictions was there for quite a time, so we decided not to actually postpone its removal.
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

Steve wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:54 pm As has been noted on the Discord Dev-svn-feed, the entrance to the Upperdark from the Trollclaws was "collapsed." :
Due to the physical chaos caused by the Time of Troubles, the passageway between the Trollclaws and the Upperdark has collapsed. Other entrances exist, but these paths are likely to be dangerous and easy to get lost in.
I'm not here to argue that it be reinstated, however, it shouldn't have collapsed for just no reason (that being, because an OOC decision was made).
It's not no reason, it's the Time of Troubles. Earthquakes and meteors and magic storms and other chaos!

But yeah, like Cheese said, more Underdark updates are coming. It just might have to be postponed for a week or two so we can actually get the ToT patch out.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
whatsittoya

Unread post by whatsittoya »

I was just starting to enjoy the read when I noticed that it didn't include the bite about the Lowerdark. What book is this from? I'm going to keep reading.
Gemma, Dawnbringer
Sigrid, Bear Warrior
Kamila, Circus Performer
Grimhilda, Sea Witch
Geir, Man-Hunter
Astrid, SorcerICE
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

whatsittoya wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:10 pm I was just starting to enjoy the read when I noticed that it didn't include the bite about the Lowerdark. What book is this from? I'm going to keep reading.
My bad. The source is the supplement titled Underdark (published 2003).

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Terankar

Unread post by Terankar »

The lore from the books is super cool. Nice of you to share those.

Especially the light attracting hostile beings, that would a super cool mechanic to introduce If some wields a torch, creates fire, or cast light.
Rinzler
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Rinzler »

The lowerdark description makes me think of the creatures in deep ocean documentaries.
whatsittoya

Unread post by whatsittoya »

Hah, knew I had it somewhere.
Gemma, Dawnbringer
Sigrid, Bear Warrior
Kamila, Circus Performer
Grimhilda, Sea Witch
Geir, Man-Hunter
Astrid, SorcerICE
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

Terankar wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:54 am The lore from the books is super cool. Nice of you to share those.

Especially the light attracting hostile beings, that would a super cool mechanic to introduce If some wields a torch, creates fire, or cast light.
Hah, i already have it in plans with light/darkness rework that i plan to work this year.

Return to “Areas”