Loot Rebalance

Content Slated for Release or Approaching Release

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Quality Control, Associate Dev, DM

Nathaniel

Re: Loot Rebalance

Unread post by Nathaniel »

Thaelis wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:42 am Is it possible the player just before you bashed the chest and it's their leftover broken item? I know un-taken junk items from the last player's loot are sometimes still in the chest when the next player opens it :think:
That would be impossible since there had been a reset just a minute before and I was the only one that was there and in the Underdark. Also no one in my team could have done it because I party less than 1% of the times
Winterborne

Unread post by Winterborne »

Items can break if you triggered the trap even if you didn't bash the lock too, so that's also a possibility.
Nathan Goldenmane - Mercybringer of Ilmater

Steward and Head of Business, House Darius -
Guard and Performer, The Siren's Song
zhazz

Unread post by zhazz »

gedweyignasia wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:12 pm Interesting, I didn't think broken items were in the loot table anymore unless you broke something in the chest...
Thaelis wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:42 am Is it possible the player just before you bashed the chest and it's their leftover broken item? I know un-taken junk items from the last player's loot are sometimes still in the chest when the next player opens it :think:
Speaking of things left in chests by other players.

Would it be possible let players add something to a chest, without that removing the roll for loot for other players?

I occasionally dump unwanted items into chests when looting (rather than make a campfire). Unfortunately that seems to mess with the loot generation for the next player, who then only get the items I left behind, rather than the chest generating new items.

Being able to leave items behind for others to find in a chest should still be possible imo, but it shouldn't interfere with new items being added to the chest.
Adrian Baker - An innocent virtuoso (bio | journal)
Relyth Ravan'Thala - Bear of an Elf
Reginald McRuff - Wall of Mirabar
Timothy Daleson - Paladin Wand Maker
Cane D'astaro - In service to the Red Knight (Retired)
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

zhazz wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:29 am Speaking of things left in chests by other players.

Would it be possible let players add something to a chest, without that removing the roll for loot for other players?

I occasionally dump unwanted items into chests when looting (rather than make a campfire). Unfortunately that seems to mess with the loot generation for the next player, who then only get the items I left behind, rather than the chest generating new items.

Being able to leave items behind for others to find in a chest should still be possible imo, but it shouldn't interfere with new items being added to the chest.
It was not our intention that chests would be used as trash cans, but I was not aware this would interfere with the loot for other characters.
Janet Deckert - "Don't be coy."
Aya Dreys - *ignores <character>*
(bios for all of my characters here)
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

Does it? I think loot still generates. At least it seems in my experience that when a party member takes everything except a heavy plate, and then I open it, there is more in addition to the plate.

I would be hesitant to agree that it interferes with loot generation.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Zahven Thruel - Mysterious Mage
Wizzelbert Cranksproket - Lantanese Gnome
Nathaniel

Unread post by Nathaniel »

Winterborne wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 am Items can break if you triggered the trap even if you didn't bash the lock too, so that's also a possibility.
No trap no lock.
gedweyignasia wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:28 am
zhazz wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:29 am Speaking of things left in chests by other players.

It was not our intention that chests would be used as trash cans, but I was not aware this would interfere with the loot for other characters.
It does interfere. I've sometimes have picked something that my character identified and didn't want it so I left it back into the loot and next person got only my item as his loot. I would say it interferes because it was RNG and it's too much casualty that he only gets that exact item.
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Nathaniel wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:24 am It does interfere. I've sometimes have picked something that my character identified and didn't want it so I left it back into the loot and next person got only my item as his loot. I would say it interferes because it was RNG and it's too much casualty that he only gets that exact item.
Please file a bug report.
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

Planehopper wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:43 am Does it? I think loot still generates. At least it seems in my experience that when a party member takes everything except a heavy plate, and then I open it, there is more in addition to the plate.
Yeah, usually it works fine !
Wasn't there always a chance to get nothing ?
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

Theodore01 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:48 am
Planehopper wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:43 am Does it? I think loot still generates. At least it seems in my experience that when a party member takes everything except a heavy plate, and then I open it, there is more in addition to the plate.
Yeah, usually it works fine !
Wasn't there always a chance to get nothing ?
Not really, containers always manage to generate something. As for bonus items spawning after someone has just looted and left an item, I think chests are functioning normally, unlocked containers I'm not so sure about, as I've noticed repeated junk finds in the skeletons/crates in lizard caves after someone has visited before me. Should be easy enough to test in a party though.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

we have to be careful here as lootables defined as 'Chests' utilize different scripting than all other lootables (barrels, boxes, containers, skeletal remains, etc). What Ged has been working on is ONLY for chests and has NOTHING TO DO with other lootable containers (which are the one's that mostly pull from the RIG vs. the loot tables.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Steve wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:55 pm I’ve been grinding the Graypeaks eight times now, and though I’ve seen less-than-eight chests every time—8 chests being what existed before the rebalance—I’ve never encountered one single Mimic during those eight visits, so far.
The 8 chests before the rebalance was more than an area that size should have had. It also had several chests that were far too low level for the area. It now spawns a random range of chests, which can include 8. The chests are certainly higher quality than before, and are high enough CR that they never get downgraded.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

gedweyignasia wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:03 am
Steve wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:55 pm I’ve been grinding the Graypeaks eight times now, and though I’ve seen less-than-eight chests every time—8 chests being what existed before the rebalance—I’ve never encountered one single Mimic during those eight visits, so far.
The 8 chests before the rebalance was more than an area that size should have had. It also had several chests that were far too low level for the area. It now spawns a random range of chests, which can include 8. The chests are certainly higher quality than before, and are high enough CR that they never get downgraded.
I’m still applying myself to witness this firsthand!! :pray:
Is Off Storybuilding in Real Life

|> Jon SmytheChionthar Charter & Seaward Supply Co. — Seafarer, Knight of the Unicorn, Coast Way Adventurers Guild
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm, Herald to the Fury, Servant to the Storm, the Destroying Angel
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Some are very well hidden.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

gedweyignasia wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:55 am Some are very well hidden.
Yes, you’ve done a great job hiding the epic loot!! :dance: :twisted: 0:)
Is Off Storybuilding in Real Life

|> Jon SmytheChionthar Charter & Seaward Supply Co. — Seafarer, Knight of the Unicorn, Coast Way Adventurers Guild
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm, Herald to the Fury, Servant to the Storm, the Destroying Angel
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Steve wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:34 am Yes, you’ve done a great job hiding the epic loot!!
You've received quite a few items from the "Epic" portion of the loot table. I'm afraid they just haven't been ones you're interested in. There's quite a bit of variability within that section, and chad from QC has done a lot of work since the update to sort them into finer grades of quality, so hopefully in the future we can tell it "give me something Steve would consider epic" and people won't get plain +4 weapons or +3 with a lot of extras.