Coming Soon: Shifter PRC

Content Slated for Release or Approaching Release

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Associate Dev, Quality Control, DM

Mirage

Re: Coming Soon: Shifter PRC

Unread post by Mirage »

I'd just like to say to -Stick with what you made and don't pre-nerf it because of two or three people loudly demanding nerfs on the forums.

The class seems like it'll be a lot of fun.
Do not lose your heart to the bleak normality. I hear you only have the one.-
Terankar

Unread post by Terankar »

Is it restricted to 10 levels prior to epic levels?
The_Sorting_Hat

Unread post by The_Sorting_Hat »

I don't think so. Why would it be?
edmaster

Unread post by edmaster »

I do got to ask.., why 20 levels? It seems a bit much for a prc
joleda

Unread post by joleda »

I'm not on the staff, but my guess is ... Making it have 20 levels limits the ability to have multiples of the following: Dragon Disciple, Frenzied Berserker, Dwarven Defender, high Caster levels, etc.
Terankar

Does natural spell actually work for the shifter forms?

The fact it isn't wildshape and natural spell only allows for casting in those specific forms, will that enable casting for the shifter forms?
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Terankar wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:58 pm Does natural spell actually work for the shifter forms?

The fact it isn't wildshape and natural spell only allows for casting in those specific forms, will that enable casting for the shifter forms?
matelener wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:49 pm
Kanada wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:06 pm I apologize if I missed it but what about natural spell in forms?
It will work but I think you can pick Natural Spell only on a druid level
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
DaloLorn

Unread post by DaloLorn »

All this talk about Natural Spell makes me wish the PrC counted as a prerequisite for the feat... you know, for the non-druidic shifters among us. :lol:
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Active in Discord.
Notable characters:
  • Shali Menner
  • Caili Wender
  • Berred Notter
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Mainda Fennemen
  • Kana Tannard
matelener
Custom Content

Unread post by matelener »

DaloLorn wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:26 am All this talk about Natural Spell makes me wish the PrC counted as a prerequisite for the feat... you know, for the non-druidic shifters among us. :lol:
Makes sense to enable it, but it will still require the wisdom.

I will also take some time to playtest Shifter a bit more and see about adjusting couple of stats.
Terankar

It has too much going on for it.

Normally, when I see a shifter, it allows for a unique playstyle and it can do everything well. It synergizes with itself, but is not a master of a certain role.

It does have some weaknesses right now, but those are similar to a say 30 barbarian. Will save, spells etc. But it has built in defenses in its own class already, by changing shapes.

So right now, I think full BaB is the biggest issue, because you can basically be a better front line tank, than nearly any build. It rivals that of a dwarven defender and is better, as the abilities it receives for the "tanking" shapes.

It looks overturned, but I think that if you release it and let it run alongside the cleric list of domains for testing, you will get plenty of feedback from all types of players on the server.

Biggest thing for me is that the levelling of the shifter seems very good. A brand new character would get a good experience from it and also, from a roleplay side of things, there will very likely be some fleshing out too
Last edited by Terankar on Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalgain

Unread post by Kalgain »

I agree, if you compare it to a paladin or ranger without umd shifter seems to come out ahead. If you compare it to powerbuilds shifter loses out.

The biggest problem I have when trying to power build a shifter for end game content is not the lack of weapon materials to pierce immunities or limited build diversity, but the lack of umd usage. Since you don't have a quick slot bar, you need to revert back in a fight to use your wands and scrolls, which leaves you vulnerable.
joleda

Unread post by joleda »

Why not limit the caster requirement to be able to cast level 1 spells? Sorcerer, Wizard, Spirit Shaman, and Druid don't receive the ability to cast level 3 spells at the same class level. Druid has a mechanical advantage over the other three since it can take Natural Spell. The 3-by-20 rule will require 3 levels of Sorcerer, Wizard, Spirit Shaman, or Druid by level 20 anyhow. Arcane Archer sets this level 1 precedence.
Kalgain

Unread post by Kalgain »

joleda wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:54 pm Why not limit the caster requirement to be able to cast level 1 spells? Sorcerer, Wizard, Spirit Shaman, and Druid don't receive the ability to cast level 3 spells at the same class level. Druid has a mechanical advantage over the other three since it can take Natural Spell. The 3-by-20 rule will require 3 levels of Sorcerer, Wizard, Spirit Shaman, or Druid by level 20 anyhow. Arcane Archer sets this level 1 precedence.
While I would like that if I were a shifter, it would make some builds much stronger since then you could use 2 other classes to strengthen the shifter. The best that comes to my mind is 3 druid,3rogue,4fighter, 20 shifter. That allows you get unarmed weapon mastery and higher bab.
Terankar

The requirements are good. You are not supposed to have it all in one character.

Tbh, the shifter is very friendly to new players on a mechanical level, but super hard to roleplay
joleda

Unread post by joleda »

Kalgain wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:58 pm
joleda wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:54 pm Why not limit the caster requirement to be able to cast level 1 spells? Sorcerer, Wizard, Spirit Shaman, and Druid don't receive the ability to cast level 3 spells at the same class level. Druid has a mechanical advantage over the other three since it can take Natural Spell. The 3-by-20 rule will require 3 levels of Sorcerer, Wizard, Spirit Shaman, or Druid by level 20 anyhow. Arcane Archer sets this level 1 precedence.
While I would like that if I were a shifter, it would make some builds much stronger since then you could use 2 other classes to strengthen the shifter. The best that comes to my mind is 3 druid,3rogue,4fighter, 20 shifter. That allows you get unarmed weapon mastery and higher bab.
I get the balancing part of the decision. ;) I just argue that the requirements are not consistent with other prestige classes.