Coming Soon : Tools & Benches

Content Slated for Release or Approaching Release

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Ashenie
Retired Staff

Coming Soon : Tools & Benches

Unread post by Ashenie »

Hello everyone,

We have been working on expanding the experience of gathering, herbalism, cooking, cosmetics, healing kits and alchemy in minor ways. You should find several tool for this, easily accessible. These minor expansions don't replace a crafting system, on which there are still many discussions and interest. In fact, those systems we expand today might be revisited by a more complete crafting system at some point in the future. Those systems still offer the opportunity to merge items and refine them when possible. It's a first step in adding ressources for a better system.

Surgery Tools
Those tools will help you merge bandages, emergency kits, field medicine kits in order to make Refined Surgery kits. You need to interact with the placeable, often found in infirmaries, or in towns. You need to have enough medicine knowledge to know what to merge. They need to be in your inventory for merging options to display.

Herbalism
With many herbs and mushrooms added to the ecology of our corner of the Sword Coast, we have tried to better the experience of herbalism. You can take them to Herbalist's Bench in order to display the options for merging, or preparing herbs. They just need to be in your inventory. Feel absolutely free to use the book system to share your discoveries with other players. You might find some tools for herbalism (Mortar & Pestle, Herb Pouch) in various shops to help you. Having empty bottles in your inventory can also be proven helpful.

All herbs can be distilled for a minor amount of experience with the distilling tools. Flowers can be distilled into perfume for more experience and possibly something to sell.

Gathering and preparing herbs still uses the same sets of skills as it currently does : Survival for gathering, Craft : Alchemy for preparation. The difficulty challenge happens through a roll, ranging from very low near 0, to very high near 40, for gathering. For preparing, the system is set as a match. You need to match the difficulty challenge (including spells and gear that grant bonuses on Craft : Alchemy). There is for now no rolls. This ranges from low near 0, to high near 30.

In addition, Brew Potion feat is needed for preparing magic brews from herbs and magical herbs. This represent a very small number of brews. Some spells can be needed too, such as cure wounds or neutralize poison, for those magical brews. These represent enchantments on herbs. They might be revisited later, as this whole system might be. Magical brews are just a few preparations in the system. An herbalist without brew potion and spells will still be able to prepare the major part of the brews in the system.

Mortar & Pestle can be used to prepare herbs in a very few numbers (those that can be prepared only though mashing) away from an herbalist bench.

Cooking
Cooking involves several small systems, allowing you to effectively cook fish and meat with cookwares. You can also find butter churn to make your own butter once you collected enough milk, and interact with mills to make flour from harvested wheat. Cooking comes with a minor option to earn experience, when cooking recipes. Having some cooked items in your inventory can help you reproduce those recipes.

In addition, some farmers will ask for help in harvesting their fields. You can turn the harvested good back to them for an experience gain.

Cooking primarily uses "Craft : Food Preparation" as it is an addition to the current system.

Collecting farm products (Milk, Honey, wheat...) uses the skill Profession : Agriculture.

Feel free to explore these systems, offer feedback and suggestions, and report errors if you find some. Our work is not always perfect, but we try to perfect it when we can.

On a last note, if player houses or guilds already possess an alchemist bench, we can turn it into an herbalist bench. Note that, however, this would mean that for further proper alchemy development, you will have to fund another bench.
Places with kitchen can be offered cookwares and butter churn upon request.
We will not by default change guilds and player houses, and those are yours to request so we don't assume what you want or need, but act accordingly to your wish.

I hope this will be enjoyable,

Cheers,

Ashenie
Last edited by Ashenie on Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sister Ashenie ~ Caretaker of Ilmater

Charity & Orphanage Status
selhan
Custom Content

Re: Coming Soon : Tools & Benches

Unread post by selhan »

OH cool. Looks like Sayushi about to make big business LOL!
“We drink to get drunk, we get drunk to fall asleep, when we fall asleep, we commit no sin, when we commit no sin, we go to the Heaven's."

Bartender of the Broken Goblet - "What's yer Poison?"

Click to find out what time is it for the Bartender
Kitunenotsume

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

So far it's good, though I'll be listing any little bugs I find with the system in the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=79456

A couple suggestions I have off the bat though:

1) Remove the 10 XP from gathering water from wells, and allow for more than 1 cup of water from a well. It's a DC 0 check, and the water-sources would supposedly be sustaining the entire city. If I need 5 cups of water, It seems silly tthat I'ld need to visit 3 districts around the city for a bucketful.

2) Reduce the XP from Mudwort. it's everywhere, it's a DC 4 weed, and it grants the same XP as DC 26 gathering nodes.
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.
Ashenie
Retired Staff

Unread post by Ashenie »

Hello there!

For the first suggestion, it is coded in the script and I can't do that individually. There is a timer however so you can use a well or an herb multiple times, after 6 minutes.

For the second suggestion, all herbs have the same experience reward. I could bring a discussion to add tiers to the experience rewards and make them based on difficulty challenge instead, though the initial idea was also to offer alternative experience gain, even when you are low level or don't have much points invested to harvest.

Thank yo for the suggestions though, I come back with more answers soon,

Cheers,

Ashenie

Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

the Herbalist's workbench do not work in tranquil pools
Louvaine

Unread post by Louvaine »

Juniper Berries automatically stack into one slot, but when one of them is used (I used it for Lesser Restoration, if that matters) all of them have no charges and therefore are unusable.
Church of Hoar
Morgan Monroe
Ashenie
Retired Staff

Unread post by Ashenie »

Hello there,

Yes, for items like Juniper berries, this is sadly a game limitation. Either we make them unstackable, and they each take one inventory slot, or we make them stackable, and they need to be first decoupled from the stack before being used. There is no good solution when an item works with charges and is stackable. A few other herb items will be like that. For the specific case of Juniper Berries, I realized that you only have one charge for 3 effects, so I made them a single use instead. So the issue is solved for this one.

I went for the following solution : Harvestable herbs remain stacked, to avoid inventory issues from harvesting.
Since preparing or buying herbs is mostly done in a moment when you have time, I made the brews and buyable herbs with charges unstackable.

Neither is ideal. Another solution could be to make all of these item a single use property and make you choose, but some have a double effect. So it's not ideal either.

For the herbalist bench, it was already corrected, but we need to wait for next update.

I hope these explanations help,

Cheers,

Ashenie

Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

Store to a value on an item treated as a berry bag with a quantity ceiling to emulate encumbrance than physical items. Systems then can dynamically call against various ingredients and won't inflate the item templates and the ingredients scale as needed fairly easily. Modal UI and conversation prompts then can be framed around this system.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:36 pm Store to a value on an item treated as a berry bag with a quantity ceiling to emulate encumbrance than physical items. Systems then can dynamically call against various ingredients and won't inflate the item templates and the ingredients scale as needed fairly easily. Modal UI and conversation prompts then can be framed around this system.
We've come up with the same solution internally (more or less), but need to discuss it further to hash out the specifics... and have someone who is not me make a special storage UI for it. :|
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Kitunenotsume

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

I've got a bit further, and have some additional observations on the various implementations.

The limit of 6 harvests per reset per character for each resource type is workable, but has put a serious damper on my ability to test, conbined with a growing lack of clarity of the system.
The issue I see is that the limit leads to 1.2 bags of flour or bottle of fragrance per reset, and 2 cups of butter. 1 bag of flour is required for a loaf of bread. The [loaf of bread] is evidently an ingredient, as it cannot be used or eaten like the [A loaf of bread] available for ~15gp in various taverns.

I think it would help to have:
1) some visibility into what the various production options are - either as a forum-post, wiki-page, or rank-based insight without having the ingredients so we can know what to look for and buy from others. Exploration and discovery is fun to an extent, but I no longer have a functional inventory in the process (3 full tabs just from the new items), and have made disappointingly little headway as the only thing I can cook with this clogged inventory is Meats and Bread.
2) multiple units of return per process - especially if a processing step requires multiple units of resource, I feel there should be as many units returned, even if that results in a lower value-per-item. For example, the Fragrances that sell for 1-k each, but take 5 flowers; creating 5 fragrances that sell for 200 each is the same value, but more functional for RP.

Discovering that I can bake only one loaf of bread per reset was very discouraging. The fact that it would take potentially 28 hours (over 4 reset windows) to gather enough resources by myself to serve a party of 5 bread is making me seriously reconsider how much I am inclined to try using the system, as I cannot functionally RP at that time-investment, nor feel inclined to commit the alts - especially given that I can accomplish a more functional goal spending 60 GP at the Lost Anchor or other taverns, and simply remarket the product as I have before.

For apples the same 6 harvests create a profit of 600 GP (and 1380 XP) without leaving the radius of a fireball. Given the harvest limitations, this can be overcome through use of multiple characters funneling into one - either different players or alts, for a fairly substantial return at low effort to maximize productivity.
In comparison, Northern Troll Hides compensate 124 GP for each hide (and no turn-in XP) and requires successfully slaying multiple mobs (the drop-rate is not guaranteed) before trucking the hefty payload across 2 servers. While admittedly this profit is uncapped per reset, it is significantly slower and more cumbersome than the 6-minute cycle-time of running through as many alts as someone cares to use.
This dissonance of effort vs return is also a bit jarring, as it somewhat implies that bread is for the super-rich, vegetables are rich-people food, and meats and monster-kills are the most commonly available sustenance (which is a bit backward). I'm aware that limitations exist due to XP-sources and gamificatiton, but the numbers used for monetary compensation may be worth review in comparison to other sources of similar activity.
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.
Ashenie
Retired Staff

Unread post by Ashenie »

Hello there,

I made a small update to the initial post to give more clarity on what is mechanically required to explore the systems. We might add more information in the future. Those currently added felt needed to better understand which mechanics the system was using and is using now.

For those who explored the system already, the need of brew potion feat was reduced to magical brews and enchanting only, which is a very minor part of herbalism. The difficulty challenge remains untouched even with this removal.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ashenie

Lockonnow

I wish if we can have a Anvil and a small Forge PC TOOL like in this movie
Lockonnow