Coming Soon: Shifter PRC

Content Slated for Release or Approaching Release

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Re: Coming Soon: Shifter PRC

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

As promised. An unoptimized build with just a +3Cha item, a deflection item and a regen cloak - just the bare minimum with PRCS to get the ideal BAB and feats that synergize with polymrph. It was a braindead playthrough, without the use of any debuffing spells such as Bigby 5, Curses etc. It tanked everything, ate a mords and didnt need rebuff - out of shape, ethereal, cast spells. Cleared 2 areas, ate all the spells and still went out with full hp - no heals, no umd. The Frost giant shape or the Maur can do the same to the balor but +4 items will be needed to deal with the mords when out of shape. The Dragolich will be even easier with the dragon shape looking the most ideal. It doesnt get any easier than this,

Again this was a build with just the basics. One can swap the 10Sorc levels for a PRC that will give better stats, or make it a better blaster or just increase the CL for more fighter levels etc

The shifter will dwarf this

Mirage wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:51 pm This does seem to be going down the exact same route as the Polymorph changes when they came out. You don't see many shapeshifting wizards around, despite all the work that went into the changes and the new forms, do you.
Now what you were saying about polymorph again?

EDIT: Video is still processing on youtube. HD version will be up once the processing is done
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
Mirage

Unread post by Mirage »

Those are rookie stats mate :P

No, but seriously. Take that build somewhere that isn't the frost giant pushover and it'll flop over like a wet sheet of paper. (And not the CR 23 lizard cave either...)

The shifter better dwarf this or it'll go exactly the polymorph wizard route. As in, "Yes, technically you possibly could make one that sort of can solo one easy zone, but why would you take one instead of the established work horses". And keep in mind that the shifter might just end up with stats like those, except without the elemental shield, the displacement, haste, premonition and so forth.

And it's not like you'd even pick it up for RP alone either. You have druids and poly wizards already if you wanted to play a shapeshifter. This needs to stand up on its own, otherwise we'll just keep our massive druidic population with more coming.

*EDIT* Thanks for the video though. I do appreciate the effort of having a character made, making a vid and posting it for the sake of a reply here. That's some dedication right there.
Do not lose your heart to the bleak normality. I hear you only have the one.-
Kalgain

Unread post by Kalgain »

Thanks, looks like a good build with enough space to improve once shifter goes online. How did you get the second +12 dmg besides the +12 str bonus? weapon spec unarmed for +2, mastery +2, but neither weapon nor gloves transfer.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Mirage wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:16 amNo, but seriously. Take that build somewhere that isn't the frost giant pushover and it'll flop over like a wet sheet of paper. (And not the CR 23 lizard cave either...)
Which area is not a push over for you?
Last edited by mrm3ntalist on Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Mirage wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:51 pmThis does seem to be going down the exact same route as the Polymorph changes when they came out. You don't see many shapeshifting wizards around, despite all the work that went into the changes and the new forms, do you.
If I talk about age old things, I still remember when Elemental Archer was added to the server and how for a while everyone was playing it, and I couldn't form a party without 2/3rds of its members being archers of some kind with it. So, allow me to ask, when was the last time you saw an Elemental archer on this server? Back then there were no free RCR periods, or RCR to begin with, so if you wanted to try out something new you had to level up the character from scratch, which of course meant that a lot of players were playing Elemental Archers for quite a while. But eventually, all fads will fade, either because the build or character concept doesn't suit individual preferences, or because something even more interesting popped up.

The same process happens today, but it runs its course much faster. After all, when a big new change gets implemented, you often get a free RCR period, which allows people to try out new things for a brief while to see if things are to their liking. Therefore, after giving something a spin for few hours; they can either RCR back to the old character or let that new character gather dust in their vault as they focus on some another character. And after the Polymorph changes arrived, for a while people were really talking about how they could use those cheap Epic Throwing Axes alongside with the Shapechange forms of 'Erinye' and 'Arboreal Elf' to land considerable amounts of ranged damage, with or without EDM, and little by little the fad faded out. After all, you do not need to Shapechange to to be an archer, and even if you make use of a carbon copy of the most generic Arcane/Elemental Archer build there is; you can still make your character look unique enough through character customization -- where as Shapechange only affords that one and same model for all players under the same form. Thus as it is with all possible additions to server; for as long as that something is not absolutely better than every other imaginable alternative -- it is most likely only used when a player can come up with an in character reason for a character to be, or to use, something. Which is why I brought up the whole 'Beast of Malar' in the build discussions -- it is a character concept, and not just a fun build to try out for a day or so.

Oh, and that brings us to the video posted by mrm3ntalist, who did cast Elemental Shield at one point, and I am not sure if he managed to deal any damage with it. Too high AC, too much displacement, etc. Elemental Shield only deals damage if your character suffers at least one point of damage. Thus what can I say, the whole gameplay loop of it looks a bit too dull and boring for my tastes. Which is why I tend to go with much lower AC, thus more hits will land, DR gets chewed out far faster, but at the same time Elemental Shield will land far more damage at your enemies. It literally is a race to see whether the enemy can kill your character before they kill themselves, I just find it more exciting, more fun, if I actually have to flee with just 1 hitpoint left.

As for the question about the extra +12 damage, Northlander Hewing?
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

YYA wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:41 amOh, and that brings us to the video posted by mrm3ntalist, who did cast Elemental Shield at one point, and I am not sure if he managed to deal any damage with it. Too high AC, too much displacement, etc. Elemental Shield only deals damage if your character suffers at least one point of damage. Thus what can I say, the whole gameplay loop of it looks a bit too dull and boring for my tastes. Which is why I tend to go with much lower AC, thus more hits will land, DR gets chewed out far faster, but at the same time Elemental Shield will land far more damage at your enemies. It literally is a race to see whether the enemy can kill your character before they kill themselves, I just find it more exciting, more fun, if I actually have to flee with just 1 hitpoint left.
https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title ... h,_Greater

Elemental shield is there as fodder for the breach. Using the percentages of having ES breached instead of maybe a more useful spell... :roll:

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

mrm3ntalist wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:40 am
Mirage wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:16 amNo, but seriously. Take that build somewhere that isn't the frost giant pushover and it'll flop over like a wet sheet of paper. (And not the CR 23 lizard cave either...)
I mean, obviously, at a minimum, to solo the Gray Peaks Balor, for all that juicy Loot Rebalance looooooootttttttzzzzzz! And do the White Dragon too, please.

And how about some PvP? I’ll be your punching bag…or maybe I’ll win?!? :naughty:

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

mrm3ntalist wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:47 amhttps://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title ... h,_Greater

Elemental shield is there as fodder for the breach. Using the percentages of having ES breached instead of maybe a more useful spell... :roll:
Yes, yes, but did you not have extra level two spell pick to pick up Death Armor as well? It is on the breach list, I do not think I spotted that purple ring in addition to the ring of fire from Elemental Shield.
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Steve wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:54 am
mrm3ntalist wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:40 am
I mean, obviously, at a minimum, to solo the Gray Peaks Balor, for all that juicy Loot Rebalance looooooootttttttzzzzzz! And do the White Dragon too, please.

And how about some PvP? I’ll be your punching bag…or maybe I’ll win?!? :naughty:
The thing is that it can actually solo the graypeaks as well. The only boss that i dont think you can kill with polymorph is the White Dragon. You can tank it but not kill it because there is no shape with adamantine weapon
YYA wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:48 am
mrm3ntalist wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:47 amhttps://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title ... h,_Greater

Yes, yes, but did you not have extra level two spell pick to pick up Death Armor as well? It is on the breach list, I do not think I spotted that purple ring in addition to the ring of fire from Elemental Shield.
No, it is a sorc with limited spell selection. lvl2 is mostly for buffing. If one plans the build better might be able to have more spells as fodder.

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Will the Shifter have to make any sort of Concentration check on dmg while shifting between forms?

mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

What it do???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Graypeaks are wiped clean. The only think that flopped over were the Balor, his General and all the giants...

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Steve wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:26 pm Will the Shifter have to make any sort of Concentration check on dmg while shifting between forms?
Shifter transformations are instant, so no Concentration check. However, some of the special abilities of the forms DO have a Concentration check to be interrupted.

YYA

Unread post by YYA »

mrm3ntalist wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:10 amNo, it is a sorc with limited spell selection. lvl2 is mostly for buffing. If one plans the build better might be able to have more spells as fodder.
Level four spell, Abyssal Might, gives you +3 to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution with just one cast, and the reason why I mention it is because most of the Shapechange forms have odd ability scores, thus you do not get the full benefit from the +4 granted by Bulls, Cats, and Bears, and if you can afford to swap a fourth level spell to Abyssal Might, you could increase the number of Breach buffer spells by three by potentially getting Death Armor, Resist Energy, and Ghostly Visage. I do not know what spells you have picked, but just throwing it out there.

And for the love of god, please, start using the GPS No Ring MOD!, you just need to have "fx_move_ring" and "fx_multiselect_ring" inside that folder to get rid of the ring around your character, while leaving target rings and movement spark as they were.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

YYA wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:01 pmAnd for the love of god, please, start using the GPS No Ring MOD!, you just need to have "fx_move_ring" and "fx_multiselect_ring" inside that folder to get rid of the ring around your character, while leaving target rings and movement spark as they were.

The VFXare great. Why would anyone remove them from a game?

Mirage

Unread post by Mirage »

Nice use of interposing hand there. I guess it didn't flop over. I was wrong.
Do not lose your heart to the bleak normality. I hear you only have the one.-

Return to “Coming Soon”