Coming Soon: More New Spells

Content Slated for Release or Approaching Release

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Coming Soon: More New Spells

Unread post by Rhifox »

As domain rework has required shifting around some spells to fix some bugs in the system, this has in some cases entailed the creation of a few new spells. These are:
Greater Evil Eye
Caster Level(s): Wizard / Sorcerer 6, Orc 6
Innate Level: 6
School: Enchantment
Descriptor(s): Evil
Component(s): Somatic
Range: Short
Area of Effect / Target: Single
Duration: 1 Hour / level, 24 hours maximum
Save: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster focuses malevolent wishes through a fiery gaze and curses someone with terrible luck. This is a more powerful version of evil eye. This spell is known as the Eye of Gruumsh to clerics of the orcish pantheon.

The subject takes a -6 luck penalty on all attack rolls, a -4 luck penalty on all saving throws, and a -8 penalty on all skill checks. The spell lasts for one hour per caster level, up to 24 hours, or until remove curse is cast on the subject.
Negate Mind
Caster Level(s): Illusion 8
Innate Level: 8
School: Abjuration
Descriptor(s):
Component(s): Verbal, Somatic
Range: Personal
Area of Effect / Target: Caster
Duration: 10 minutes / level
Save: Harmless
Spell Resistance: No

The caster is protected from all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects. All negative mind-affecting effects are also removed from the caster.
Superior Creeping Cold
Caster Level(s): Druid 6
School: Transmutation
Descriptor(s): Cold
Area of Effect / Target: One Creature
Duration: See text
Save: None

This spell is the same as greater creeping cold, but it no longer has a saving throw, and it continues to gain an extra round of damage for every 5 caster levels the character has. The spell deals 7d6 points of cold damage on the 7th round if the caster is level 25 or higher, and 8d6 points of cold damage on the 8th round if the caster is level 30 or higher.
Radiant Shield
Caster Level(s): Wizard / Sorcerer 4, Wrath 4
Innate Level: 4
School: Evocation
Descriptor(s): Electricity
Duration: 6 seconds / Level
Spell Resistance: None

You are surrounded by a ring of electricity that damages all opponents who make a successful melee attack against you. The damage inflicted is 1d6 points of electrical damage, +1 point per caster level. You also gain 50% immunity to electrical damage.
Entomb
Caster Level(s): Druid 6, Wizard / Sorcerer 6, Cold 7
Range: Medium
Duration: 1 round / level
Save: Fortitude negates

An entomb spell traps living creatures in a block of ice, suffocating them. The spell entraps the targets with a thick layer of ice from head to toe. Those that make a successful Fortitude saving throw can shake off the ice immediately, though they still take 6d6 points of cold damage. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is held within the ice and immediately begins to suffocate. A suffocating creature makes a Fortitude save versus death against the spell DC. If it fails this save, it takes 10d10 points of bludgeoning damage from the lack of air. If the creature fails three consecutive saves, it dies of suffocation. Only living creatures that breathe air are vulnerable to this effect.

Escaping from the ice block requires a Strength check versus the caster's spell DC minus 10. The creature can make a new attempt every round. Escaping from the ice block requires a Strength check versus the caster's spell DC minus 10. The creature can make a new attempt every round. While inside the ice block, the character gains DR 10/- to physical and cold, vulnerability to fire, and immunity to electricity. For every round the creature remains entrapped within the ice, they take 2d12 points of cold damage.
Maelstrom
Caster Level(s): Ocean 7
Innate Level: 7
School: Conjuration
Descriptor(s): Water
Components: Verbal, Somatic
Range: Long
Area of Effect / Target: Cyclone 10 ft. wide at base, 30 ft. wide at top, and 30 ft. tall
Duration: 6 seconds / level
Save: Reflex negates; see text

Maelstrom conjures a deadly vortex of water. In the sea, it swallows up ships. On land, it erupts from the earth as if by a great geyser and funnels its way into the sky. The vortex moves at a speed of 5 feet per round. Undirected, it wanders the battlefield affecting all creatures it encounters. If the vortex exceeds the spell's range, it moves in a random, uncontrolled fashion for 1d3 rounds and then dissipates. All creatures in a radius of 20 feet are affected.

Any Large or smaller creature that comes into contact with the spell effect must succeed on a Reflex save or take 3d6 points of cold damage. A Medium or smaller creature that fails its first save must succeed on a second one or be knocked down by the force of the cyclone, taking 1d8 points of cold damage each round. A Reflex check against a DC of 11 + 3/5th of the character's total caster level is made every round while the storm lingers near the suppressed creature. The maelstrom has 10 base strength and receives +1 for every two casterlevels, raising its base damage by its strength modifier. The maelstrom can only be hurt by +3 enhanced magical weapons.

Upon first casting maelstrom, a feat is granted which can be used to direct the vortex.
Last edited by Rhifox on Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Re: Coming Soon: More New Spells

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

For the greater evil eye, a will save for half?
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
Rhifox

Unread post by Rhifox »

mrm3ntalist wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:49 pm For the greater evil eye, a will save for half?
It is negates. Unless you're suggesting it should be made half instead? I mean, I wouldn't mind that, since I love anything that makes curse spells and debuffs more useful to people that don't go maximum hyper-specialized on DCs, but that's up to other staff.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

It is a level 6 DC spell. What would its use be? Casting the spell on regular mobs is useless, while more powerful monsters have inflated saves. Since it doesnt kill something right away then half the effects on a made save would make sense. Otherwise why use it instead of spells such as chaos, flesh to stone etc.

Half the damage will make the spell worthwhile to use. If the debuffs are considered too powerful, they can be adjusted.
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
sweetlikesplenda

Unread post by sweetlikesplenda »

No love for the general cleric spell list?
Aaron Lyonaler - Favored Soul of The Red Knight, Grand Knight of the Radiant Heart, Advisor to Duke Eltan, Order of Lions Member
Bio, Journal

"A proper example is a greater weapon for Good than the sword."
-Aaron Lyonaler
Rhifox

Unread post by Rhifox »

sweetlikesplenda wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:05 am No love for the general cleric spell list?
No, because these spells were made for the domain rework (superior creeping cold isn't, but only because I had already made it for cold 7, then matelener made entomb to fill that spot instead). The fact they have other classes in their requirements is because the pnp versions of the spells also do (or they're upgraded versions of spells that already were already in other spell lists, like greater evil eye).

The 'love for the cleric spell list' has come in the fact that every domain now has a full list of 9 spells each, and class features for all of them.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

The description for Entomb reminds me of something I used to wonder...

Do our air and water genasi receive their respective breathing abilities from PnP? Not breathing at all for the former (therefore being immune to Drown and far less vulnerable to Entomb, and arguably receiving the same effects provided by an Iridescent Ioun Stone), and breathing water for the latter (for Drown immunity)?
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

DaloLorn wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:17 amDo our air and water genasi receive their respective breathing abilities from PnP? Not breathing at all for the former (therefore being immune to Drown and far less vulnerable to Entomb, and arguably receiving the same effects provided by an Iridescent Ioun Stone), and breathing water for the latter (for Drown immunity)?
Probably not.
Rhifox wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 pm Superior Creeping Cold
Caster Level(s): Druid 6
School: Transmutation
Duration: See text

This spell is the same as greater creeping cold, but it no longer has a saving throw, and it continues to gain an extra round of damage for every 5 caster levels the character has. The spell deals 7d6 points of cold damage on the 7th round if the caster is level 25 or higher, and 8d6 points of cold damage on the 8th round if the caster is level 30 or higher.
I do not know how to say this, but I kind of dislike the name of the spell. Thus one change that could be done is to rename:
Creeping Cold into Lesser Creeping Cold,
Greater Creeping Cold into Creeping Cold,
So that Superiod Creeping Cold could be Greater Creeping Cold.

Or perhaps just name this third spell as:
Unstoppable Creeping Cold,
Unmatched Creeping Cold,
Horrid Creeping Cold,
Wrathful Creeping Cold,
Or something else... I know that the D&D spells that make use of the word Superior, but I just dislike seeing that word in spell names.
Rhifox wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 pm Greater Evil Eye
Caster Level(s): Wizard / Sorcerer 6, Orc 6
School: Enchantment
Descriptor(s): Evil
Component(s): Somatic
Area of Effect / Target: Single
Duration: 1 Hour / level, 24 hours maximum
Save: Will negates

The caster focuses malevolent wishes through a fiery gaze and curses someone with terrible luck. This is a more powerful version of evil eye. This spell is known as the Eye of Gruumsh to clerics of the orcish pantheon.

The subject takes a -6 luck penalty on all attack rolls, a -4 luck penalty on all saving throws, and a -8 penalty on all skill checks. The spell lasts for one hour per caster level, up to 24 hours, or until remove curse is cast on the subject.
Level six Wizard/Sorcerer spell book already has a spell such as, Flesh to Stone, make the save or basically die. There is also Disintegrate, and many other spells a Sorcerer would rather pick even with their expanded spell selection. As for Orc clerics, their sixt level spell book comes with Harm, and spamming the Harm can be improved through Spell Focus Necromancy, which also improves the creation of undead 'Orc' warriors.

Thus I got to agree with mrm3ntalist, there are not many reasons for people to use that spell, even if they have focused on Enchantment spells. Thus I would point towads Curse of Impending Blades, which always lowers AC by two. A level two spell. Thus I would suggest that on a failed save, the AB penalty would be -2, save penalty would be -1, and skill penalty would be -3. And I would change the spell description as follows:
"The caster focuses malevolent wishes through a fiery gaze and curses someone with terrible luck. This is a more powerful version of evil eye. This spell is known as the Eye of Gruumsh to clerics of the orcish pantheon.

If the subject fails his save; he takes a -4 luck penalty on all saving throws, -6 luck penalty on all attack rolls, and a -8 penalty on all skill checks. If the subject makes his save; he only takes a -1 luck penalty on all saving throws, -2 luck penalty on all attack rolls, and a -3 penalty on all skill checks. The spell lasts for one hour per caster level, up to 24 hours, or until remove curse is cast on the subject.
"

But to be entirely honest, as long as this spells lowers all saves, and even by just one... It will be a desirable spell for any DC caster. At spell level of six, those with Arcane Scholar 10 could even quicken it, and follow it up with some another spell.
Rhifox wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 pm Radiant Shield
Caster Level(s): Wizard / Sorcerer 4, Wrath 4
Innate Level: 4
Descriptor(s): Electricity
Duration: 6 seconds / Level
Spell Resistance: None

You are surrounded by a ring of electricity that damages all opponents who make a successful melee attack against you. The damage inflicted is 1d6 points of electrical damage, +1 point per caster level. You also gain 50% immunity to electrical damage.
I do have a Sorcerer character that would use this Radiant Shield, Elemental Shield, and Death Armor all at the same time, and this character of mine would combine these spells with appropriate amount of DR and regeneration. In other words, my character would take 1-10 points of damage, and potentially deal back 1d6 + 30 (Fire Damage) + 1d6 + 30 (Electrical Damage) + 1d4 + 5 (magic Damage). That is "68-81" damage per hit dealt back at the attacker. If you think it is fine, sure, I don't mind. But perhaps this spell needs a line of code that makes it so that it either replaces Elemental Shield or fails to cast because of it, and vice versa.
Rhifox wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:01 pm Maelstrom
Caster Level(s): Ocean 7
Innate Level: 7
School: Conjuration
Descriptor(s): Water
Components: Verbal, Somatic
Range: Long
Area of Effect / Target: Cyclone 10 ft. wide at base, 30 ft. wide at top, and 30 ft. tall
Duration: 6 seconds / level
Save: Reflex negates; see text

Maelstrom conjures a deadly vortex of water. In the sea, it swallows up ships. On land, it erupts from the earth as if by a great geyser and funnels its way into the sky. The vortex moves at a speed of 5 feet per round. Undirected, it wanders the battlefield affecting all creatures it encounters. If the vortex exceeds the spell's range, it moves in a random, uncontrolled fashion for 1d3 rounds and then dissipates. All creatures in a radius of 20 feet are affected.

Any Large or smaller creature that comes into contact with the spell effect must succeed on a Reflex save or take 3d6 points of cold damage. A Medium or smaller creature that fails its first save must succeed on a second one or be knocked down by the force of the cyclone, taking 1d8 points of cold damage each round. A Reflex check against a DC of 11 + 3/5th of the character's total caster level is made every round while the storm lingers near the suppressed creature. The maelstrom has 10 base strength and receives +1 for every two casterlevels, raising its base damage by its strength modifier. The maelstrom can only be hurt by +3 enhanced magical weapons.

Upon first casting maelstrom, a feat is granted which can be used to direct the vortex.
Is that initial 3d6 damage once per round tick, or just upon contact? I presume it would get +15 damage increase. And anyhow, it sounds like it is a summoned creature, is it possible to run through a Maelstorm effect, or will it potentially block corridors?
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
Rhifox

Unread post by Rhifox »

DaloLorn wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:17 am The description for Entomb reminds me of something I used to wonder...

Do our air and water genasi receive their respective breathing abilities from PnP? Not breathing at all for the former (therefore being immune to Drown and far less vulnerable to Entomb, and arguably receiving the same effects provided by an Iridescent Ioun Stone), and breathing water for the latter (for Drown immunity)?
I was not aware these had these abilities in pnp, but I can look into supporting them now that I know! There is a persistent water breathing effect for ocean domain now, so that could easily be given to both of them, and an exclusion can be made for air genasi on Entomb.
YYA wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:58 am I do have a Sorcerer character that would use this Radiant Shield, Elemental Shield, and Death Armor all at the same time, and this character of mine would combine these spells with appropriate amount of DR and regeneration. In other words, my character would take 1-10 points of damage, and potentially deal back 1d6 + 30 (Fire Damage) + 1d6 + 30 (Electrical Damage) + 1d4 + 5 (magic Damage). That is "68-81" damage per hit dealt back at the attacker. If you think it is fine, sure, I don't mind. But perhaps this spell needs a line of code that makes it so that it either replaces Elemental Shield or fails to cast because of it, and vice versa.
The script already had this check, but it was designed for Elemental Shield stacking with itself. I'll update it so it checks for both. Thank you!
YYA wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:58 am Is that initial 3d6 damage once per round tick, or just upon contact? I presume it would get +15 damage increase. And anyhow, it sounds like it is a summoned creature, is it possible to run through a Maelstorm effect, or will it potentially block corridors?
I don't know, sorry. It uses the same code as whirlwind, which is already in the game, so you can test that yourself if you'd like to get an idea for how it works.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

I think there's also some spells that say they make you immune to suffocation. Stone/Iron Body? Not sure.

By the way, I noticed this line was repeated twice in the Entomb description:
For every round the creature remains entrapped within the ice, they take 2d12 points of cold damage.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
izzul

Unread post by izzul »

how do i add these spells to my mage? i buy scroll at shop or i need to do RCR xxxagainxxx :lol:
Azzizuleia Tyrielmrande-[Permadeath PC]
Eilondruil Eldanyar-Corellon Larethian[Battle Historian]
Iz Azul-Red Knight[Active]
Krueger-Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617
Mystera Electra-Mystra[Goat Girl]

"give to yourself, took from others-Integrity and Justice"
Rhifox

Unread post by Rhifox »

izzul wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:19 am how do i add these spells to my mage? i buy scroll at shop or i need to do RCR xxxagainxxx :lol:
These will not be added to shops by me. I'm not a fan of wizard spells being in shops generally. Next update will make the new spells scribable, but learning them will require trading with people that have them. I can also look into adding into the loot table at some point, assuming that's not done automatically.
Ravial

Unread post by Ravial »

Isn't negate mind literally mind blank, though?
"I sometimes wonder if Ravial is actually rav'ialquessir irl" ~ Colonic 2017

~Viridiana Lydhaer - Retired. Silverymoon!
~Arundae Dyraalis - Retired.
~Amaevael Laelyssil - Retired, Selu'Taar on Evermeet
~Laeria Amarillis - #HideThePainLaeria

Ravial ~ By CommanderKrieg ~
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Ravial wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:54 pmIsn't negate mind literally mind blank, though?
It has the following perk of blocking divination based spying, and I am not sure how useful that is beyond a DM event though, and the fact that it is not on the Breach list. Clerics usually have high will saves, so the actual benefit of the spell just exists to negate those rolls of a one. Moreover, this spell lasts ten times longer than Mind Blank, and only seems to affect the caster.

Thus a very similar spell, but it is different.
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
Rhifox

Unread post by Rhifox »

Ravial wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:54 pm Isn't negate mind literally mind blank, though?
It's literally pnp mind blank, yes (except self-only and slightly shorter duration). But NWN2 mind blank is quite different from pnp (aoe instead of single target, 60 seconds instead of 24 hours, no non-detection protection).

Because of the bugs with multiple domains giving the same spell on multiple levels, and the inability to figure out a combination that worked for the domains that gave non-detection (most domains give non-detection at level 4-ish, illusion gave non-detection at 8), I created a duplicate non-detection for illusion. I decided to make that higher level version of the spell function like pnp mind blank (so it has a long duration, gives both mind immunity and non-detection, and single target (self-only, in this case)).
YYA wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:01 pmIt has the following perk of blocking divination based spying, and I am not sure how useful that is beyond a DM event though, and the fact that it is not on the Breach list.
Negate Mind is on the Breach list, actually. I'll update the page with the new spells.

Return to “Coming Soon”