Champion of Corellon

Content Slated for Release or Approaching Release

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

matelener
Custom Content

Champion of Corellon

Unread post by matelener »

The new elf class should be out by now. Do check out Races of the Wild PnP book, there are about 5 pages of lore information on it !
<color=Gold><b>Champion of Corellon Larethian</b></color>

<color=Red>(PRESTIGE CLASS: This class is not available at character creation and must be unlocked by meeting special requirements, listed below.)</color>

Many evil warriors believe that elves, while dangerous in ranged combat, have no stomach for melee. They expect that elves would fall like leaves in an autumn windstorm once the battle becomes the work of sword and axe rather than arrow and spell. These warriors have never encountered a champion of Corellon Larethian. The champion of Corellon is a noble elf fighter, an elf knight or lord who can stand up to any orc or human warrior. All elves admire the grace, discipline, and skill necessary to become a swordmaster, and the champion of Corellon is the very paragon of elven swordsmanship. Clad in shining elven mail or plate, the champion relies on quickness, agility, and an almost scholarly study of the most difficult and advanced techniques of swordplay instead of brute power. As the name suggests, a champion of Corellon Larethian holds a special place in elf society. Large temples of Corellon Larethian often host groups of champions who serve as elite temple guards, advisors and bodyguards to elf rulers, and questing knights in the service of the whole elf race.

In order to become a champion of Corellon, an elf must excel in swordplay and exhibit patience, grace, and compassion. Even in the most desperate of times, elves do not judge a warrior merely by her martial skill. To take joy only in feats of arms is to live a crude and diminished life. There is more to life than fighting well, and the true champion knows this.

<color=Gold>Requirements:</color>

<b>Race:</b> Elf or half-elf (not drow).
<b>Alignment:</b> Any non-evil.
<b>BAB:</b> +7
<b>Feats:</b> Martial Weapons, Heavy Armor, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Weapon Focus (Longsword, Rapier, Scimitar, Shortsword or Falchion).
<b>Skills:</b> Diplomacy 4, Knowledge(religion) 2.
<b>Special</b>: Must worship Corellon Larethian.

<color=Gold>Class Features:</color>

- <b>Hit Die:</b> d10

- <b>Base Attack Bonus:</b> High.

- <b>High Saves:</b> Fort, Will.

- <b>Weapon Proficiencies:</b> None.

- <b>Armor Proficiencies:</b> None.

- <b>Skill Points:</b> 2 + Int modifier.

- <b>Class Skills:</b> Concentration, Craft Armor, Craft Weapon, Diplomacy, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (any), Parry, Sense Motive and Spellcraft.

<color=Gold>Class Abilities:</color>

Level 1: Corellon's Blessing
Level 2: Elegant Strike
Level 3: Superior Defense +1
Level 4: -
Level 5: Bonus Feat
Level 6: Superior Defense +2
Level 7: Fast Movement
Level 8: Corellon's Wrath
Level 9: Superior Defense +3
Level 10: Perfected Elegant Strike

- <b>Corellon's Blessing:</b> Upon entering this class, you gain the ability to heal wounds by touch, much like a paladin's lay on hands ability. The amount of healed damage is equal to Charisma bonus times the sum of levels in this class and half of your total hit dice. This ability has a 10 minute cooldown.

- <b>Bonus Feat:</b> At 5th level, you gain a bonus feat. The bonus feat is drawn from the fighter bonus feat list.

- <b>Elegant Strike:</b> Upon reaching 2nd level, you become able to place your attacks where they deal greater damage. You apply half of your Dexterity bonus as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus you may have) with any of the following weapons: longsword, rapier, scimitar, shortsword or falchion. This bonus cannot exceeed half of your class levels and will not stack with Insightful Strike.

At 10th level, you master this technique and you may apply your full Dexterity bonus, up to maximum of +10.

- <b>Superior Defense:</b> At 3rd level, you learn special techniques for making the best use of an elf's natural agility even while wearing restrictive armor. Whenever you wear an armor of any type, you gain a +1 Dodge AC bonus. At 6th level the bonus improves to +2 and at 9th level it increases by +3.

- <b>Corellon's Wrath:</b> At 8th level, you gain the ability to briefly channel the divine power of Corellon Larethian, enveloping one melee weapon you wield in a veil of incandescent light. You gain a +2 sacred bonus on attack rolls and deal an extra 2d6 points of damage with each melee attack you make for a number of rounds equal to 3 + your Cha modifier. This ability has a 5 minute cooldown.
YYA

Re: Champion of Corellon

Unread post by YYA »

Mr Mentalist will be happy.
matelener wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:33 am- Superior Defense: At 3rd level, you learn special techniques for making the best use of an elf's natural agility even while wearing restrictive armor. Whenever you wear an armor of any type, you gain a +1 Dodge AC bonus. At 6th level the bonus improves to +2 and at 9th level it increases by +3.
And no, this should only apply when wearing Medium or Heavy armor. You are a Knight of Corellon Larethian, not a forest Hobo of Corellon Latrinian.

If not... Well, Rogue 10/Shadowdancer 3/Wilderness Stalker 7/Champion of Corellon Latrininian, here I come. Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting with those Shortswords, +4 Dodge AC... Extra Dexterity Damage...
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
matelener
Custom Content

YYA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:40 am Mr Mentalist will be happy.
matelener wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:33 am- Superior Defense: At 3rd level, you learn special techniques for making the best use of an elf's natural agility even while wearing restrictive armor. Whenever you wear an armor of any type, you gain a +1 Dodge AC bonus. At 6th level the bonus improves to +2 and at 9th level it increases by +3.
And no, this should only apply when wearing Medium or Heavy armor. You are a Knight of Corellon Larethian, not a forest Hobo of Corellon Latrinian.

If not... Well, Rogue 10/Shadowdancer 3/Wilderness Stalker 7/Champion of Corellon Latrininian, here I come. Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting with those Shortswords, +4 Dodge AC... Extra Dexterity Damage...
Most of elves are forest hobos by default though!

That build will be extremely feat starved I think? You've got to pick up Meidum / Heavy Armor proficiencies.

I was on the fence wether light armors should be available. I went with somewhat more lore accurate version, as in PnP mithral versions of medium armors are allowed (and it's hard to beat that with a "real light" armor on BG).
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

YYA wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:40 amWell, Rogue 10/Shadowdancer 3/Wilderness Stalker 7/Champion of Corellon Latrininian, here I come. Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting with those Shortswords, +4 Dodge AC... Extra Dexterity Damage...
Such a build would have to spend feats on Martial Weapon Profiency, Medium Armor Profiency, and Heavy Armor Profiency... You are little short on feats there, you only got 7 pre-epic feats, and only 6 can be used to meet PRC requirements. You just do not have enough feats those PRCs.
Such a build would have to spend feats on Martial Weapon Profiency, Medium Armor Profiency, and Heavy Armor Profiency... You are little short on feats there, you only got 7 pre-epic feats, and only 6 can be used to meet PRC requirements. You just do not have enough feats those PRCs.
Fine, then I make something like a Fighter 12/Assassin 8/Champion of Corellon Latherian, or Fighter 8/Asassin 8/Champion of Corellon Latherian 10/Wilderness Stalker 4! With that last one I still got my +4 Dodge AC and Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting!
If you are offended by what I said have said above, I have recieved my last warning, I have discussed Intuitive Attack, so report - for I do not mind. Getting me banned is nothing special, it happens every week. But you could also choose not to be offended, this place needs more banter, your choice.
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

matelener wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:02 amMost of elves are forest hobos by default though!
Which is why Champions of Corellon Latherian are the exceptions.
matelener wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:02 amThat build will be extremely feat starved I think? You've got to pick up Meidum / Heavy Armor proficiencies.
Yeah, realized it soon after typing.
matelener wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:02 amI was on the fence wether light armors should be available. I went with somewhat more lore accurate version, as in PnP mithral versions of medium armors are allowed (and it's hard to beat that with a "real light" armor on BG).
And be that as it may, I still think Champions of Corellon Latherian should wear proper armor -- they can use the appearance kit to make it look like bunch of leaves -- but they should still wear a proper armor. Be that a suit of Mithral Splint Mail, Banded Mail, Half-Plate, or Full-Plate, or just a suit of regular +4 Breast Plate.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

EDM Fighter 12 / Paladin 4 / Anointed Knight 4 / CoC 10. Or Fighter 8 / Paladin 4 / Divine Champion 6 / CoC 10. No need to overthink it.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
matelener
Custom Content

Paladins don't allow Corellon as a deity I think
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

I don't think they do, no.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Hydros

Unread post by Hydros »

matelener wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:35 am Paladins don't allow Corellon as a deity I think
Can confirm they don't. This came up between some friends a while ago, multiple of us (including myself) seem to all remember Races of the Wild 3.5 allowing for Corellon as a paladin diety for elves as a special rule, but when actually looking through the book for it, it didn't exist.

So, currently, in the ruleset we generally adhere to, there's no basis for Corellon as a Paladin diety.
Alarielle Nulei'ren, The Hawk of Evermeet - "Shunti tel'adar's dath nha teague feer, nhel nu nesh ath tel'quiet foqal"
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

Why no one is trying better builds? A lot of (#2) are going on star citizen but I might be able to make a couple of videos of how op this prc is during this weekend. I have two characters with stored xp to go to 30

YYA is correct though. The damage and armor should work only in medium heavy armor. We have many prcs and can already do crazy builds. It’s ok if new prcs are very limited.

Valefort I will need that weapon :D
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

I'd prefer it restricted to Medium and Heavy armor, too. Light armor is already way too encouraged on BG, IMO.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

Rhifox wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:39 am I'd prefer it restricted to Medium and Heavy armor, too. Light armor is already way too encouraged on BG, IMO.
Yeah, this class actually really encourages DEX right now. Making its AC buff only work with medium or heavier armor, or at least preventing it from working with padded armor, would make it more of a tradeoff between maxing out your AC and maxing out your damage.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
KOPOJIbPAKOB
Retired Staff

Unread post by KOPOJIbPAKOB »

It seems that the only remaining niche for the class is slow and chunky Fighter with shield + sword. For all other builds Dervish would simply do CoC's job better. Swash synergy was removed, the class requirements won't let you build a proper Dex tank with Epic dodge + Uncanny dodge. I like the concept, just a shame it was overnerfed so hard. And just to think some people were suggesting to nerf it harder.
(\/);,;(\/)

Discord: Nastya Raynor#3136

Pink is me speaking on behalf of the Media Team, everything else is just my player opinion.
YYA

Unread post by YYA »

Steve wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:01 amEDM Fighter 12 / Paladin 4 / Anointed Knight 4 / CoC 10. Or Fighter 8 / Paladin 4 / Divine Champion 6 / CoC 10. No need to overthink it.
Yes you do. No Paladins of Corellon Larethian as people have said. So, you can go for a very similar EDM build, with the addition of the Divine Shield, and the ability to use all Clerical scrolls without resorting to UMD... by using the following build:

Fighter 12/Cleric 3 [Domains: Good (Fear Immunity), War (Free Weapon Focus Longsword)]/Divine Champion 5/Champion of Corellon Larethian 10. It doesn't really matter which of the allowed elven subraces you choose from, but the ones with +2 to dexterity tend to be better. You do not have to go all in on Dexterity, you just pump it up high enough to get the most out of the armor of your choice.

So let us have a look at the AB:
29 (BAB)
+ 4 (Weapon Enchantment Bonus)
+ 4 (Epic Weapon Focus)
+ 2 (Melee Weapon Mastery)
+ 1 (Epic Prowess)
+ 7 (Strength modifier, base 21 with +3 from Belt of Growth)
+ 2 (Wrath of Corellon)
+ 3 (Divine Wrath)
= 52 (Which pumps up to 60 with AB bonus from that Scroll of Divine Power, 61 when you consider the strength increase as well, which you can do without a single point spent in UMD -- you just need the scroll, etc.)

As for the Damage:
1d8 (Long Sword)
+ 4 (Weapon Enchantment Bonus)
+ 4 (Epic Weapon Specialziaztion)
+ 2 (Melee Weapon Mastery)
+ 7 (Strength Modifier)
+ 4 (Dexterity modifier +3 Item, Wood Elf with Starting ability scores of: STR 16, DEX 15, Con 9, INT 13, WIS 8, CHA 16)
+ 3 (Divine Wrath)
+ 2d6 (Corellon's Wrath)
+ 14 (Epic Divine MIght)
= 49.5~

And as for that AC:
10 (Base)
+ 8 (Mithral Full Plate)
+ 3 (Dexterity from Mithral Full Plate)
+ 4 (Armor Enchantment from Bracers)
+ 4 (Deflection Enchantment from Ring/Hat/Cloak)
+ 4 (Dodge Enchantment from Boots)
+ 4 (Tower Shield)
+ 4 (Shield Enchantment from shield or Wand)
+ 3 (Superior Defense)
+ 1 (Tumble 10 ranks, +3 if you spend a feat for it)
+ 6 (Improved Combat Expertise)
+ 7 (Divine Shield)
= 58

Now, when it comes to playing an EDM build, you will not have these numbers up 24/7, but you do not always need to, which allows you to meet the demand at your own leisure.
KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:08 amIt seems that the only remaining niche for the class is slow and chunky Fighter with shield + sword.
Because that is literally the whole concept of the PRC, an elven Knight:

The above imagine is from that source book, Races of the Wild, which introduced the whole PRC in the first place.
KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:08 amFor all other builds Dervish would simply do CoC's job better. Swash synergy was removed, the class requirements won't let you build a proper Dex tank with Epic dodge + Uncanny dodge. I like the concept, just a shame it was overnerfed so hard. And just to think some people were suggesting to nerf it harder.

As it stands, you get that Superior Defense AC bonus even in light armor... So nothing stops you from creating a build such as: "Fighter 8/Dervish 7/Tempest 5/Champion of Corellon Larethian 10" -- which would get +7 points of AC from its PRCs. (2 from Tempest, +2 from Dervish, and +3 from Champion of Corellon Larethian.) The PRC requirements overlap, etc. The +4 Damage and AB from Dervish dance applies to both hands, and if you go for Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting, it still short of the maximum dexterity damage cap that Champion of Corellon Larethian has.

---

And when it comes to restricting the Superiod Defense to Medium and Heavy Armor, because it says so in the PnP source material, Mithral Banded Mails and Full Plates have an Armor Check Penalty of just -3 -- which is just one point highter than what a low level rogue might suffer when wearing a chain shirt. In otherwords, full Dexterity, stealth based Champions of Corellon Larethian can still sneak about. They are just wearing a lore appropriate armor while doing so.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

KOPOJIbPAKOB wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:08 am It seems that the only remaining niche for the class is slow and chunky Fighter with shield + sword. For all other builds Dervish would simply do CoC's job better. Swash synergy was removed, the class requirements won't let you build a proper Dex tank with Epic dodge + Uncanny dodge. I like the concept, just a shame it was overnerfed so hard. And just to think some people were suggesting to nerf it harder.
Overnerfed? Wow

It’s better than dervish, in any way you see it - same ac, constant damage from dex, bonus feat, burst 2d6.

What surprises me that not one here mentioned the build, that in my view, breaks it

I beginning to doubt myself now … is that a bad thing doc?
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!

Return to “Coming Soon”