Coming Soon : Baldur's Gate redesign

Content Slated for Release or Approaching Release

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Ashenie
Retired Staff

Coming Soon : Baldur's Gate redesign

Unread post by Ashenie »

Hello everyone,

This project is still going, requiring a massive amount of work that seems neverending. Hopefully, the biggest part is behind.
So far, it involves :

~ The temples remodel, redesign, with the addition of lore related shrine for Lathander and Oghma
~ The split of Baldur's Gate from 3 to 7 maps, divided between the Upper City (Manorbone, The Wide, Temples District) and lower city (The Steeps, Heapside, Eastway, Seatower). All districts have been redesigned and updated after lore books and indications, as well details developed through years of roleplay.
~ A new sewer map, The Undercellar, linking various place in the city.
~ Three ways to travel though the city : underground, ground, rooftops.
~ A proper nothern outer city. Update on the eastern outer city.
~ Yards for The Flaming Fist Citadel, The City Watch, and the Duchal Palace
~ Interiors for noble houses
~ Many touches for ambiance, and refining environment according to each district's activity. Points of view and watchtowers. A walkay for guards and to refine patrolling roleplay within the city. Greenspaces, gardens, and other kind of relaxing places.

I hope that would summarize what was done so far.

I wished to leave a message here to ask anyone who would possess a guild, a house, or developped roleplay around a particular place to reach me if I have not approached you yet.
Likewise, if you wish to see anything within the city, if something feels nice or appealing to you for Baldur's Gate as city, don't hesitate to reach me.

I still aim for a release in December, which is somehow soon. I think the major part will be released, while some work will still come after that to polish some interiors and add a few touches that I didn't have time to refine.

Cheers, and thanks for your interest and help so far,

Ashenie
Sister Ashenie ~ Caretaker of Ilmater

Charity & Orphanage Status
Ibnshaitan1

Re: Coming Soon : Baldur's Gate redesign

Unread post by Ibnshaitan1 »

Is there any chance of a temple to Kossuth? As a pretty neutral deity yet one focused on earthly advancement that a city could offer Kossuth seems fairly ignored. I play a Kossuth priest and have been told there are no worshippers in The Dwarven city (strange as fire is so central to the forges) Is this the case in BG as well? My priest Pak Ember Flame preaches to all who he encounters, offers ritual immolation etc, but without a temple North of Bergost there is little to no RP to center around a temple. Just a thought from the peanut gallery.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

I am very much looking forward to this! Thank you for making it happen.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

Ibnshaitan1 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:23 pm Is there any chance of a temple to Kossuth? As a pretty neutral deity yet one focused on earthly advancement that a city could offer Kossuth seems fairly ignored. I play a Kossuth priest and have been told there are no worshippers in The Dwarven city (strange as fire is so central to the forges) Is this the case in BG as well? My priest Pak Ember Flame preaches to all who he encounters, offers ritual immolation etc, but without a temple North of Bergost there is little to no RP to center around a temple. Just a thought from the peanut gallery.
There is no canon temple of Kossuth in BG. Temples of the elemental gods are quite rare. I would recommend pursuing the creation of one as a plot arc your character embarks on. You can send a request to the DM team to work on building one. I did something like that for the Malar shrine in Soubar. I'm sure Ashenie would be willing to help design the temple in the toolset once the RP around building it IC has happened.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
2inLuv

Unread post by 2inLuv »

What you guys have accomplish since 2008 is amazing. Keep the good work :dance:
Ashenie
Retired Staff

Unread post by Ashenie »

Hello everyone,

The new Baldur's Gate maps are ready to come live. This has been one whole year of work, with many difficulties, including the loss of 3 months of work because of toolset errors. We have tried to work together to bring to life those maps, closer to what lore describes, with a myriad of details. We had to deal with toolset difficulties, with walkmesh inconsitencies, with lore contradictions, while working with new and old editions. Crossing everything was sometimes challenging.

Of course, the maps are not absolutely perfect. They come in an acceptable state, and while many eyes have tried to correct every kind of problems we could identify, I still imagine you will find some. Please, accept our apologies in advance. Our goal was to design maps running as smoothly as possible. But some errors can come from various sources, at various stages of the map making, and even with infinite testing, some problems only occure in rare or particular occasions. This is where we might need you. Please, if you find any error about the maps, anything that seems supicious, do not hesitate to report them to the deveopper team. We might be aware, but we also might have missed it. I would be very grateful of your help, and any kind of feedback is really welcome.

Those maps are not the end of the redesign of Baldur's Gate. While they represent a lot of work, they will likely be improved with your feedback, with more details, some further developement to sewers and rooftops, or guards walkway. Each map will probably need a lot of attention. A lot of interiors will be further developped too. The following list is an example of missing interior maps :
- Iron Throne
- Flaming Fist Citadel yard, City Watch Citadel yard, Duchal Palace yard
- Seatower prison
- City Watch headquarters
- Pathfinder Hall
- Counting House
- Non-hostile social sewer map (refugees) - Court of Miracle like
- More Noble Houses
- Sewer redesign to link many to all locations of the surface.
- Undercity improvement with ruins and hidden passages
- Meditation Hall (player project)
- Charity Kitchen (player project)
- Arena
- Hisstone Bathouse
- Baldur's Mouth

All those locations already exist in game but they have no interior.

This will take some time, and will likely benefit more researches. Some of them were also deleted due to a heavy loss of work, that happened months ago. So they will be recreated.

In addition to all this, if there is a design that seems strange or if you have any idea, do not hesitate to send me your ideas. I know this is a lot of changes, and a lot of work, so do not hesitate to make any comment.
For guilds, player housing, and other special locations that have been redesigned, you will likely find a lot of things changed. Do not hesitate to ask for a detail, or for precisions, or for anything if you need to. It was a long work to get those maps working, so some details might be missing too.

With all that said, I hope you will all have an enjoyable experience of these maps. It has been a really dear work to redesign the city.

A warm thanks to Tfunke for the original design of Baldur's Gate. A warm thanks to the whole Dungeon Master and Developper Teams for their continuous vigilance, help and input regarding lore. A warm thank you to you all.

Cheers,

Ashenie
Sister Ashenie ~ Caretaker of Ilmater

Charity & Orphanage Status
selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

Thank you for the hard work! And I for one cant wait to check it out and will report anything I see along with screen shots!
“We drink to get drunk, we get drunk to fall asleep, when we fall asleep, we commit no sin, when we commit no sin, we go to the Heaven's."

Bartender of the Broken Goblet - "What's yer Poison?"

Click to find out what time is it for the Bartender
MrSmith
Recognized Donor

Unread post by MrSmith »

selhan wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:29 pm Thank you for the hard work! And I for one cant wait to check it out and will report anything I see along with screen shots!
Ditto! Thank you for all of your efforts.

Cheers!
tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

I finally got around to nwn2 again and wow, just WOW!

Just walked around the city, with the biggest grin on my face, because it's incredible what you have done Ashenie. Sure words like "incredible" get thrown around often, but having spent many many hours building in the toolset, I can confidently say this is a legit masterpiece!

"It is a city with a personality, which is no simple task!"

10/10, A+
Per aspera ad astra
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

Welcome back, tfunke!

Return to “Coming Soon”