Coming Soon: Falconry

Content Slated for Release or Approaching Release

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Coming Soon: Falconry

Unread post by Planehopper »

There is still a bit of work ahead, and icons to create, but a falconry system is coming along and I wanted to share it with you as it is working thus far:

• Purchasing the falcon - I will ensure that vendors are set up in Baldur's Gate and Soubar to start.
  • The falcon will be exactly identical to the current hawk pet (the model is a sort of generic bird of prey - a sort of peregrine, sharp shinned, coopers hawk mash up), with the added functionality of hunting.
  • The falcon can be named, and will use that name when using it as a pet (as you can currently) as well as while it is hunting.
  • Areas suitable for hunting will be discoverable through exploration. Skill checks for the Profession:Hunting skill will offer information. There may be NPCs that can point you toward one or two well-known areas as well.
  • When in a suitable area the falcon can be released and fly off - it may come back with nothing, it may come back with its quarry (there are 8 potential prey animals at this time), or it may not come back at all. Success will be impacted by a number of things - among them skill(s), falcon level, and weather conditions.
  • XP will be awarded, dependent upon prey. At this time the same XP cap for fishing will be shared with hunting.
  • The falcon will 'level up' with successful hunts. The level will persist, and will aid in the chance of success with that specific bird (and only that bird). Feedback messages after each successful hunt will share its current level as well as a percentage of progress toward the next level.
  • As with all new systems, I will be looking for feedback. Is it too fast, is it too slow? How well does the leveling system work? When its live I would appreciate some testing to make sure the kinks are worked out.

Associated with this I will be adding a "camp knife" tool (name TBD). This tool will be used to process the prey items from this system into meat and other byproducts. The meat can be sold, or cooked, as other meat currently in game. The byproducts can be sold (for now), and perhaps will be useful for something else down the road..

This knife will also be able to process/clean fish - with cleaned fish able to be cooked in the fire as other meat items are now (which I would like to expand upon, another time).

This was a requested system. I am hopeful it will fit some niches of RP, allow for some friendly competition on training up the best falcon, etc.

This is also a work in progress. While most of this has been tested and found to be working, there are pieces yet that are still in progress, so it won't be immediate. A big thanks to Endelyon and Rhifox for helping me along as I blundered through my first system via script!
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Re: Coming Soon: Falconry

Unread post by DaloLorn »

One possible expansion to the cooking system might be to vary the spell you get, based on a Profession (Cooking) roll. Like maybe it starts as a CL1 Lesser Vigor (as I think is currently the case?), but then it scales up to a CL30 Vigor or something, or maybe you have different recipes which can do things besides regeneration.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Planehopper wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:48 am … my first system via script!
Congratulations! Nice that you took on the challenge and learned a new skill. Power up!

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Dragonslayer

Unread post by Dragonslayer »

This is an awesome addition, thank you!
InGame

Unread post by InGame »

This sounds very nice! :ugeek:
IF you are interested in associating Chauntea in your characters background or RP then lets talk!

Characters:

Kervel Greencrest - Old Farmer and Priest of Chauntea
(Biography)
Renvar Meldrake - Cormyrean Sellsword and Bounty Hunter (Biography)
JustAnotherGuy

Unread post by JustAnotherGuy »

I'm excited about this change. And I'm not even likely to use it much, lol. I'm excited for others, because I know they've wanted something like this.
"Now this is the law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky,
And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die."
- Rudyard Kipling
Fire Wolf

Unread post by Fire Wolf »

This is awesome!

Will we be able to keep and train multiple falcons, and will it be possible to give a higher level falcon to another player if we want to roleplay someone who trains them professionally for money or for their boss?

This is super exciting!
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Fire Wolf wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:27 pm Will we be able to keep and train multiple falcons, and will it be possible to give a higher level falcon to another player if we want to roleplay someone who trains them professionally for money or for their boss?
Yep, thats the plan! The leveling will be independent of the player, and should persist just fine through trades. I haven't tested that fully yet, however. So while I am hopeful and even optimistic.. we shall see how that plays once its on the server.

I am hoping training and associated sales is definitely a part of this!
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

zavox

Unread post by zavox »

Planehopper wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:43 am
Fire Wolf wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:27 pm Will we be able to keep and train multiple falcons, and will it be possible to give a higher level falcon to another player if we want to roleplay someone who trains them professionally for money or for their boss?
Yep, thats the plan! The leveling will be independent of the player, and should persist just fine through trades. I haven't tested that fully yet, however. So while I am hopeful and even optimistic.. we shall see how that plays once its on the server.

I am hoping training and associated sales is definitely a part of this!
I Love to hear that! :clap:
Thok - Wandering Warrior
JustAnotherGirl

Unread post by JustAnotherGirl »

I am very much looking forward to this new addition to BG. Thank you so much for your hard work, Planeshopper!
Ashling, High Ranger of the Green Enclave
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Once this system framework is in place, it could be easily tweaked to allow hound hunting as well (especially for hunter-rangers with a wolf or dog animal companion).
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Tsidkenu wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:00 pm Once this system framework is in place, it could be easily tweaked to allow hound hunting as well (especially for hunter-rangers with a wolf or dog animal companion).
We discussed that. There aren't many hunt-kill-retrieve type hunts with dogs (especially lone dogs) that I am aware of.. most either pester/corner/tree, track, or retrieve. If you have info on something let me know!

JustAnotherGuy

Unread post by JustAnotherGuy »

Planehopper wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:29 pm
Tsidkenu wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:00 pm Once this system framework is in place, it could be easily tweaked to allow hound hunting as well (especially for hunter-rangers with a wolf or dog animal companion).
We discussed that. There aren't many hunt-kill-retrieve type hunts with dogs (especially lone dogs) that I am aware of.. most either pester/corner/tree, track, or retrieve. If you have info on something let me know!
In the real world, for sure, you're right. Hunting dogs aren't trained to go out and hunt, and bring game back. But in a fantasy world where rangers/druids can talk to their animal companions, it might be different.

I'm excited about the falconry, and don't expect "companion hunting". But just wanted to throw in my two cents here on the topic. You're doing a great job, Planehopper!
"Now this is the law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky,
And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die."
- Rudyard Kipling
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Planehopper wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:29 pm If you have info on something let me know!
Joseph Carter the Mink Man from Utah is a good example, mostly small game (musk rats) with his minks and vermin or beavers with his dogs. Note that larger vermin can have valuable pelts.

Return to “Coming Soon”