Developer Applications

For Those That Would Like to Help Keep Our Community Running

Moderator: Moderator

Administrator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 488
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:14 pm

Developer Applications

Unread post by Administrator »

BG:TSCC is currently looking for help from dedicated developers in the following disciplines:

Area Design
High quality and realistic environments. Attention must be paid to creating graphically pleasing areas that require as little draw on the server as possible.

Creature Design
Balanced and diverse D&D-based creatures for single spawn and group spawning encounters. Looking for multiple variants of same breed (e.g., a standard, moderate, exceptional and boss appropriate variant).

Scripting
Conventional event-hooked scripting and hak editing. Sometimes procedural, sometimes object oriented, familiarity with C/C++ or NWscript is a huge plus. Must know how to create efficient, well-documented and legible code.

Creative Writing
Conversation and description writers. Will be asked to work on everything from NPC and quest-related dialogue to item, placeable, and creature descriptions. Must be a mature writer with a firm grasp on the proper usage of spelling and grammar.

While candidates may excel in any number of the disciplines above, we are also looking for team members with the following attributes:

Dedication
While we all have a real life to maintain, it is important for our developer team to be available for a minimum of three hours a week. Our production stalled for a couple of years, but we are once again aiming for approximately once-a-month updates.

Attention to Detail
While no one expects you to be perfect, an honest effort should be made to spellcheck, review, and troubleshoot your own contributions to the project before submitting them for approval. You will also have to be willing to go back and correct technical and lore-related issues that the Quality Control team and DMs point out to you during your content's pre-publication review.

Team Player
We are all doing this for free. If you have a positive attitude and are willing to sometimes take one for the team in order to see to it that our objectives are met, you will fit right in. Our staff members have shown a noble degree of dedication to the cause and we expect the same for any of our new recruits.

If you think you fit the skill sets and temperaments described above then please reply here or PM the Administrator, Lead Developer, and, or, Lead Programmer with an overview of your qualifications, experience and, or, interest in helping us achieve our goal of remaining one of the most highly-respected game worlds in the Neverwinter Nights 2 community. Please also state the discipline(s) that you would like to focus in so that we may best match your skills with our needs.

Thank you.

Application:

Area Builder Application Form


Below is the format to use for applying to be an area builder for the PW. Please delete any parenthetical notation in your application as it is only there to explain and give an example. Please answer as many of the questions in the parenthetical notation as you can. Please don't feel intimidated by all the questions. This is just to get an idea of where you stand. If you feel that your module submission with an included area answers much of the questions feel free to leave those questions you feel it addresses blank or attach the comment "see submission". Copy below and above the dashed red lines, and submit application on this thread.

----------
Toolset Experience Levels

General Toolset Knowledge: (Do you understand the basics such as making a new area; adjusting area properties; baking an area; making new items, and NPCs; importing and exporting areas, items, and NPCs; making a new script and compiling it; making a new conversation; etc... Do you know how to move around the toolset, and what each and every button is for?)

Interior Mapping: (Your experience with making interiors in the toolset. Do you know how to adjust tilesets, their properties, and variation?)

Exterior Mapping: (Your experience with making exterior areas in the toolset. Do you know how to use all the terrian tools and every button within them? How are you at texturing and shading? Do you understand how to make and adjust the properties of water?)

Placeable experience and familiarity: (Your general experience level with placeables? Do you understand how to adjust placeable size and other properties? Do you have a decent memorization of the basic placeables in the original placeable set of NWN2 and expansions? Do you know how to manipulate a placeables appearance manually?)

Lighting experience: (I can not stress enough how important properly done lighting is for an area, especially interiors. What is your experience level here? Do you feel you understand all the intricacies of point source lighting, ambient lighting, and sun/moon lighting in the NWN2 toolset?)

Special Effects experience: (While very important I feel that a good area builder will know how to use the minimal amount of special effects to the maximum effect. Do you have a decent amount experience in special effects? Do you know how to manually adjust special effects?)

Sound experience: (Do you understand all the properties in a sound? What level of experience do you have with sounds?)

Scripting Experience: (What is your level of experience in scripting? Do you fully understand NWN2 Scripting? Can you only read scripting and adjust variables and small properties such that you can use and adapt predone scripts for areas, placeable, NPC, convos, and trigger properties, etc..? <--(that's me :D ) Can you fully develop your own scripts from scratch without any aids?)

Trigger Experience: (Do you understand how to use most of the triggers in the toolset?)

Walkmesh Experience: (Can you adjust and cut walkmeshes in exteriors and interiors effectively and efficiently?)



Your Module Submission

(Please post a download link here to a compressed (RAR or Zip please) module with an area for an example of your work and capabilities. Megaupload is decent, but I prefer to use dropbox personally these days. Print screens, while welcomed, are not as good as a working module. If you submit print screens please put them in thumbnail format!)

General Questions

How long have you been playing here and your general experience?

Are there any players or staff members that would recommend you?

How much time per week do you think you will have to put into area building?

Are there any particular projects you would like to work on?
----------
Please send the application the the Developer team.

That is all of the application for now. If you took the time to submit an application, thank you for considering building for BGTSCC. We will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
BlayneBradley
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:24 pm
Location: Canada, Quebec

Re: DEV Help Wanted

Unread post by BlayneBradley »

I would like to help with scripting I am currently reading the lexicon.
BlayneBradley for DM!!

-Raenir Salazar (Wizard Generalist)
-Shiloh Loqioucious (Sorceror)
Zander
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 1:41 am

Re: DEV Help Wanted

Unread post by Zander »

Iv been holding off on applying for a while now mainly because of some toolset problems i was having which i solved. Anyways i got it all worked out and well iv been playing now a good while and i want to start contributing.

So ill start with this. Previous experience. I built for Planescape: Hell-bound previously. here are some screen shots of the work i did for them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... erTown.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... rTown2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... rTown3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... rTown4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... rTown5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... shLake.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... hLake2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... hLake3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... eCaves.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... Caves2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... Caves3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... Caves4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... otdone.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/ ... tdone2.jpg

Thats just to get you interested in my work. I applied to work for Amia2 as well and produced an application for them at request. Regrettably they turned down my work. Their loss i say. *grin* Old owl inn is the name of the area. As well iv already started building for this server. Dm chaotic has an area i made which he is pushing to have added in the next server update. However i cannot post the area i made for chaotic as it is sensitive in nature and this is a public forum. You can ask chaotic about it however and im sure youll get it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nhzoznkjaaj

I don't really know what more to add. Iv been playing nwn since its release back in 2001. I'm an avid role player. I don't script but id like to learn. I have the ability to add content which is surprising and unique. I make areas, items, creatures, quests, conversations, and really whatever else that needs to be done.
Torack
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 8:51 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Creative Writing

Unread post by Torack »

Hey, I actually wouldn't mind helping out with 'Creative Writing'. I noticed a lot of the NPC's have no dialogue. In fact I think it can be quite annoying that you finally get to meet the famous Gorian only to find out that "Yes?" is the only thing he says.

I work as a Graphic Designer, so I pretty much get paid to proof read, correct grammar and suggest better ways to word sentences. I believe I could do a lot in this area.

Conversations, Descriptions & Placeables should be okay, but I'm not completely proficient with the Toolset as yet. I may need a little more practice in orgainsing quest functions and the like.

Let me know if I can help.
GMGizmo
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: DEV Help Wanted

Unread post by GMGizmo »

My name is Jesse. I would like to offer my scripting services to your team. I have been a game programmer since 1988 when I first got on my Tandy and started programming in basic. Here is some sections on my knowledge.

C++: I started using C++ in 1990 when I purchased my 286 with some money I made mowing lawns. I picked up borland turbo c++ 3.0 (dos). I used this language mostly for making tile engine games, and simple RPG's. I have a good knowledge of DirectX. I stopped programming with C++ in 2002.

C#: I started using C# in 2002. I spent a majority of my time creating my own DirectX library for game programming, audio libraries. I got into being a lead developer for a RunUO server (ultima online) I spent over a year or so working with UO game programming creating new content to match latest OSI patches, and new pvp games.

My recent programming over the past year I have been working with WPF programs and Silverlight application programming. I have dabbled with SQL database and website integration using ASP.NET 3.0.

As for Neverwinter Nights experience. I got the game when it came out, fell in love with how I could create worlds and write code to make it come alive. I ran a few successful servers Omen I - Omen IV. They where simple mods, that where crudely persistant. I had them running for about 9 months. I have all the expansions for the first NWN.

Neverwinter Nights 2. I have all the expansions. I have a good knowledge of 2DA editing, some custom content, creating custom icons, writing scripts to do what I need. I also have dabbled in personal Plugins, though its nothing to shout about.

I have been programming for 21 years now, well almost 21 years in october. Any who, I love game programming. I love neverwinter nights I & II. If you wonder why I don't work for another site, or have my own world. It is because I have writers block lol, but more or less I work better with teams. If you need to know anything else about me. Just email me a [email protected].

Thanks for reading.
IAmDeathComeForThee
Retired Staff
Posts: 1408
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 2:06 pm
Location: Canada

Re: DEV Help Wanted

Unread post by IAmDeathComeForThee »

Wow, you ^^ sound more then qualified! Hope they're still looking for people bcuz sounds like they'd be lucky to have you!
"good is never as good as it's supposed to be. Although evil is often every bit as bad." -Richard Lee Byers.
Diogenes of Sinope
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 2:47 am

Re: DEV Help Wanted

Unread post by Diogenes of Sinope »

I'd love to have a try at writing some conversations and descriptions for you if you still have need.

My background is in academic and commercial writing primarily (being that I'm self-employed as a musician), but I've written the odd bit of fiction and have posted a few shorts in the Elfsong forum.

Bluntly, I'm anal retentive about my prose. I'm a stickler for grammar, and I flagellate myself for misspellinng. Ugh. Moving swiftly on, I have experience writing for publication (press releases, advertisements, liner notes, etc.) and have written my share of grants. I was a writing tutor throughout high school and college, and have cut my teeth as an editor.

I'll be happy to do whatever I can for you if you'll have me.

Thanks,
Diogenes
HaberdasherofDoom
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:13 am

Re: DEV Help Wanted

Unread post by HaberdasherofDoom »

I've written a few scripts that involve.. triggers or placeables = if you can make use of them I am willing to donate them.

You can set the skill test, the success threshold of the test, if the thing that runs the script is a trigger it detets who ran through it, if it is a placeable it determines who used it. Its on a delay so it only works every X number of seconds. You can also use local variable to determine how much xp to reward.

So it essentially works like this:

Player hits trigger a listen test might be made, they pass get X number of XP, and a specifci message is sent to that player that they must RP out to the party.

The same script could be used to trigger whatever test and send whatever message you have placed in local varaibles on the script.

The same script when a player clicks on a plant.. they can pass a craft alchemy test to receive a part of the plant that can be used as a healing item or healing kit. THe player receives a message stating what they did, and a certian amount of xp for passing the test.

The idea of the script can be reused.
Wthyran Tal - Drooling, scarred and generally acidic.
Tarnok Deadsbane - Talk about guilt.

Respect earned, never given.
Rizogue
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:14 pm

Re: DEV Help Wanted

Unread post by Rizogue »

Please PM me if you would like to discuss your Creature Design needs. I posted my credentials in the 'Potential DMs' thread, so won't repeat myself here. Plenty of time on my hands to work up a few creature erfs, just let me know.

-Rizogue
Evezial Hall
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: DEV Help Wanted

Unread post by Evezial Hall »

I've just began scripting, and I'm already working on a couple of projects, though my primary focus is currently on my random item generator script (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... ail&id=306). I have a few other ideas, mostly related to guilds and a mail system. I wouldn't mind tailoring a few of them to suit your module.

I'm not much of a player anymore (just lost interest), but I find development to be much more enjoyable. Let me know what you think.
NWN DM
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 1:01 am

Re: DEV Help Wanted

Unread post by NWN DM »

I am available for interior area creation (also posted in the DM thread).

Generally I like working on areas that appear as realistic as possible... rooms that look lived in, not empty, etc....

For adventuring areas, I greatly prefer targeting adventure locations for characters under 7th level.

PM me if interested... can possibly cobble together some screenshots of areas I've made for my Northern Cormyr campaign, if necessary.
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: DEV Help Wanted

Unread post by Luna »

NWN DM wrote:I am available for interior area creation (also posted in the DM thread).

Generally I like working on areas that appear as realistic as possible... rooms that look lived in, not empty, etc....

For adventuring areas, I greatly prefer targeting adventure locations for characters under 7th level.

PM me if interested... can possibly cobble together some screenshots of areas I've made for my Northern Cormyr campaign, if necessary.
Send me an ERF of some stuff to look at...
Stephen.Richard.Webb
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:15 am
Location: King of Prusia, PA

Re: DEV Help Wanted

Unread post by Stephen.Richard.Webb »

I am interested in helping the team with this project. I also have five other people on my team [working on a Thief 3 project] that are voice actors and are interested in working on this project as well.

A little about myself:
I am fairly experienced in C++, C#, and VB. I am also a capable environment designer, but my true passion is implementing intuitive game systems, and creative quest / dialog writing. I have worked with the following engines and editors:
1] Dark GDK [Game Development Kit for VC++ 2008]
2] XNA .NET framework [C#] for developing on XBOX 360 platform
3] T3ED [an early iteration of the modified unreal engine used for developing Thief 3: Deadly Shadows
4] Valves Source Engine [with proficiencies in Hammer editing]
5] Currently learning UDK 2009

I would be very well pleased to help you in anyway that you see fit. If I don't know how, I will learn how.

Thank you in advance for offering such a wonderful opportunity.
-Stephen Webb
Luna
Retired Admin
Posts: 7945
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: DEV Help Wanted

Unread post by Luna »

Hey Stephen, have you worked with the toolset much for NWN2 ?
Stephen.Richard.Webb
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:15 am
Location: King of Prusia, PA

Re: DEV Help Wanted

Unread post by Stephen.Richard.Webb »

Thank you for your expedient reply. I am not as familiar with this toolset as I am with the others mentioned above; however as I have stated, I learn fast because of the basic common workflow used by the engines/editors.

-Stephen

Return to “Supporting BG:TSCC”